Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #61
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Not really.

Most places only have a couple of carriers available.

It's allowing a corporation to steer how you access the internet monetarily. Think Comcast won't come down hard on streaming services and I've got a bridge to sell you.
Ever hear of technology? The Comcasts of the world will adjust or find ways to compete or they'll go out of business because they chose to let technology to be their demise. Cable and satellite will pass from the scene soon. AT&T is so serious about exploring new ways to do ethernet, they have partnered up with some electric company in the great sovereign Peach Tree State to test the feasibility of using existing overhead electric wires as conduit for the ethernet, thereby saving more than a few shekels on expanding old infrastructure.

Gotta love capitalism and all that this entails...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #62
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
It allows it, but they have to tell you. That would put them at a competitive disadvantage.
A competitive disadvantage vs. who exactly?

From what I can tell, in my neighborhood Spectrum has a monopoly as the lone high speed internet provider.

Now if I want sloooower internet, I do have a few options.

But not for high speed internet.

Imo, if monopoly high speed internet providers:

a. Start slowing the internet down for certain sites that compete with them (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)...

b. Start charging an arm and a leg to access those sites...

c. Start doing the same for sites featuring content that runs contrary to political views held by said owners of the high speed internet monopoly...

Imo, this vote to do away with NN has potential to be a VERY big deal.

-jp

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #63
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
One of the reasons millennials, snowflakes and others don't like the removal of NN is because they were all hoping for a totally free internet or an internet where everyone would be operating at the same speed. (Liberal ;politicians don't like the removal of NN for other reasons already stated by others.).
Get ready because here it comes...

They know you can't live without internet and they already had a monopoly. Sure give them more power though.

And even now... even if you're right. Why are you for it?

To the quoted part. Literally no is saying that. Except Tom the flaming liberal of PA.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-15-2017 at 09:01 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #64
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #65
boxcar

Quote:
Get ready because here it comes...

They know you can't live without internet and they already had a monopoly. Sure give them more power though.

And even now... even if you're right. Why are you for it?

To the quoted part. Literally no is saying that. Except Tom the flaming liberal of PA.
But I can live with a much slower internet either by my current ISP or a different one. Under my current high speed plan, I'm allowed 1 terabyte of usage per month. That's an awful lot of bandwith! I could probably stream movies 12 hours a day every day and still have plenty left over.

And no one has a monopoly on the internet!

And I'm against NN because the internet doesn't need fixing. It wasn't broke to begin with! The only people who thought the 'net was broken are liberal politicians because they want to control political content. They want the internet to be politically "neutral" which in liberal speak means to have appreciably fewer conservative sites available to the general public. Remember what libs wanted to do with radio broadcasts to limit its political content? Do you remember their proposed "fairness" doctrine? (Their Fairness Doctrine was about as fair as the Affordable Care Act is affordable!) How come liberals are afraid to death of public free choice? Why not just let the public decide what it wants to listen to and what it doesn't? Ditto for the internet.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #66
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Forget RIP. May NN rot in hell forever and ever -- and then some.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #67
elysiantraveller

Quote:
But I can live with a much slower internet either by my current ISP or a different one. Under my current high speed plan, I'm allowed 1 terabyte of usage per month. That's an awful lot of bandwith! I could probably stream movies 12 hours a day every day and still have plenty left over.

And no one has a monopoly on the internet!

And I'm against NN because the internet doesn't need fixing. It wasn't broke to begin with! The only people who thought the 'net was broken are liberal politicians because they want to control political content. They want the internet to be politically "neutral" which in liberal speak means to have appreciably fewer conservative sites available to the general public. Remember what libs wanted to do with radio broadcasts to limit its political content? Do you remember their proposed "fairness" doctrine? (Their Fairness Doctrine was about as fair as the Affordable Care Act is affordable!) How come liberals are afraid to death of public free choice? Why not just let the public decide what it wants to listen to and what it doesn't? Ditto for the internet.
No.

This isn't a left/right issue. This is major Telecoms stacking the deck in their favor to make more money. This isn't anything other than crony capitalism where the consumer loses.

AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon win. Consumers lose.

You want the real answer why Net Neutrality is a big deal? Why it's crony capitalism? See below.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-23-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #68
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Forget RIP. May NN rot in hell forever and ever -- and then some.
Interesting post from you a few years back about cutting the cord.

Quote:
But there is a difference. I can control what I access on the internet. But I have zero control over what crosses the airwaves.

Boxcar
But now after this the airwaves DO get a say in what you can access on the internet.

I find it interesting that people who were once for NN have flipped on the issue around these parts.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:52 AM   #69
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:

I find it interesting that people who were once for NN have flipped on the issue around these parts.
SHOCKING

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #70
boxcar

Quote:
Interesting post from you a few years back about cutting the cord.

But now after this the airwaves DO get a say in what you can access on the internet.

No! The consumers have determined the content of radio broadcasts. Consumers overwhelmingly prefer conservative talks shows over the liberal drivel counterparts.

As far as the internet goes, I still get to choose what I will read and won't read, what sites I will access and will not access. I liken the internet to be very much like TV. The ratio of noise to signal for both is very high, and for this reason many moons ago, I stopped subscribing to satellite since I felt I wasn't getting good value for my monthly fees. Once again, the free market works. I got to choose to not pay to watch commercial-free garbage over which I have no control. And this differs significantly from commercial-driven radio broadcasts. Businesses are not going to waste their money advertising with a talk show host who can attract only small audiences. Why do you think guys like Rush, Hannity, Levin, etc. have not only survived all these years but have thrived? There is demand for their voices by listeners, and so advertisers are most eager to advertise on their shows.

The free market system does work -- whether you want to believe that or not.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #71
boxcar

Quote:
No.

This isn't a left/right issue. This is major Telecoms stacking the deck in their favor to make more money. This isn't anything other than crony capitalism where the consumer loses.

AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon win. Consumers lose.

You want the real answer why Net Neutrality is a big deal? Why it's crony capitalism? See below.

Well...here's a clue for you: This is why FOR-PROFIT businesses are in business in the first place-- to make as much money as the market can bear. But once a company steps over that line of tolerance, consumers will react unkindly, and this will have an adverse effect on the corporation's bottom line.

Of course, you have another avenue open to you: You could lobby your congress critters to take over the Telecom industry the way Obama did with Healthcare which is one-sixth of the U.S. economy. See how that works out for ya.

Or you could join a bunch of snowflakes to lobby congress to subsidize you to help out with those "obscene" telecom fees.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-23-2017 at 02:25 PM.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #72
elysiantraveller

Quote:
No! The consumers have determined the content of radio broadcasts. Consumers overwhelmingly prefer conservative talks shows over the liberal drivel counterparts.

As far as the internet goes, I still get to choose what I will read and won't read, what sites I will access and will not access. I liken the internet to be very much like TV. The ratio of noise to signal for both is very high, and for this reason many moons ago, I stopped subscribing to satellite since I felt I wasn't getting good value for my monthly fees. Once again, the free market works. I got to choose to not pay to watch commercial-free garbage over which I have no control. And this differs significantly from commercial-driven radio broadcasts. Businesses are not going to waste their money advertising with a talk show host who can attract only small audiences. Why do you think guys like Rush, Hannity, Levin, etc. have not only survived all these years but have thrived? There is demand for their voices by listeners, and so advertisers are most eager to advertise on their shows.

The free market system does work -- whether you want to believe that or not.
I've determined at this point you are being either factually dishonest or deliberately obtuse.

AT&T or whatever provider you have now gets to determine the ease in which you can access certain locales on the internet. This flies directly in the face of your previous post of being able to filter what you get online.

You were for net neutrality before you were against it. Common theme among the Trumpers that was for free markets before Trump and tariffs.

I assure you my voting record is more free market than yours.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #73
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Well...here's a clue for you: This is why FOR-PROFIT businesses are in business in the first place-- to make as much money as the market can bear. But once a company steps over that line of tolerance, consumers will react unkindly, and this will have an adverse effect on the corporation's bottom line.

Of course, you have another avenue open to you: You could lobby your congress critters to take over the Telecom industry the way Obama did with Healthcare which is one-sixth of the U.S. economy. See how that works out for ya.

Or you could join a bunch of snowflakes to lobby congress to subsidize you to help out with those "obscene" telecom fees.
Hilarious... now you make generalizations about my income...

One post you celebrate your unfettered internet access the next... well it's okay if it's tethered.

At least JR admitted he flipped.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #74
Clocker

Robert McDowell is a former FCC Commissioner who was appointed by George W. Bush and reappointed to another term by Obama. Here he dismantles an MSNBC host who says the sky is falling because of the death of net neutrality:

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mor...-fcc-chairman/
Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #75
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Robert McDowell is a former FCC Commissioner who was appointed by George W. Bush and reappointed to another term by Obama. Here he dismantles an MSNBC host who says the sky is falling because of the death of net neutrality:

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mor...-fcc-chairman/
I never said the sky is falling I just think it's bullshit.

Data is data. However I choose to use it, since I paid for it and as long as it's legal, is no one's ****ing business.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: