Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Longshot6977

Former Leading jockey at Ellis Park caught with buzzer

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...trical-device/

Jockey Didiel Osorio has been summarily suspended by Indiana Horse Racing Commission stewards after allegedly being in possession of an illegal electrical device following the fifth race at Indiana Grand on Thursday.

Osorio rode the winner, 7-10 favorite Deep Explorer, owned by Jeff Allen, Michael Thomas and Donald Habeeb and trained by Habeeb.

According to senior state steward Stan Bowker, Indiana Horse Racing Commission investigator Toni Sperle conducted a search that began in the winner's circle while Osorio was weighing in after the fifth race and ended in the jockeys room. Electrical devices, made from small batteries, wires and electrical tape, can be concealed in a jockey's hand during a race and are used to shock or stimulate a horse. Commonly referred to as buzzers, batteries or machines, they are illegal in racing and can lead to lengthy suspensions.

Illegal electrical device commonly called a buzzer, battery or machine

Osorio was removed from his remaining mounts at Indiana Grand on Thursday and a summary suspension was issued Friday that will be reciprocated in other states. An initial hearing has been set for Aug. 22.

The summary suspension, pending completion of an investigation, cites a violation of IHRC Rule #71 IAC 7.5-6-5 (d) (4), and states that “possession of an electrical device on the grounds of an association is conduct that is against the best interest of horse racing or compromises the integrity of racing.”

Osorio, a 23-year-old native of Panama, has been riding at both Indiana Grand and Ellis Park in Kentucky, where he ranks third in the current jockey standings, with 13 wins from 80 mounts. Osorio was leading rider at Ellis Park in 2015, winning 25 races from 171 mounts. He began his U.S. riding career in 2013 and has 235 wins from 2,037 mounts.

Bowker said the maximum penalty the stewards can assess for possession of an electrical device is a one-year license suspension and $5,000 fine, but the case may be referred to the commission, which has the authority to issue additional sanctions.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
lamboguy

how much time did the trainer get? if the kid gets a year the trainer deserves 20 years!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
how much time did the trainer get? if the kid gets a year the trainer deserves 20 years!
Did you read the initial post?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...trical-device/

Jockey Didiel Osorio has been summarily suspended by Indiana Horse Racing Commission stewards after allegedly being in possession of an illegal electrical device following the fifth race at Indiana Grand on Thursday.

Osorio rode the winner, 7-10 favorite Deep Explorer, owned by Jeff Allen, Michael Thomas and Donald Habeeb and trained by Habeeb.
Watching the replay, the horse won easy after a good trip and some mild left-hand whipping in the stretch, and didn't exhibit the "tail bounce" of a horse getting buzzed. Ironic he gets caught after a win on a 7-10 shot.

I'd be willing to bet that the IHRC must have gotten a tip to catch him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually didn't have a buzzer on him during that race.

Of course, in a sport that's infamous for its laughable enforcement of rules, I'm doubtful we'll ever hear the gory details.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 AM   #5
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Watching the replay, the horse won easy after a good trip and some mild left-hand whipping in the stretch, and didn't exhibit the "tail bounce" of a horse getting buzzed. Ironic he gets caught after a win on a 7-10 shot.

I'd be willing to bet that the IHRC must have gotten a tip to catch him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually didn't have a buzzer on him during that race.

Of course, in a sport that's infamous for its laughable enforcement of rules, I'm doubtful we'll ever hear the gory details.
It is more likely he had a buzzer didn't use it, because he didn't need it.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Used it or not, he had it on him during a race.
Lifetime ban is in order.

Zero tolerance for cheating.
The guy is not fit to earn his living riding.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
The trainer may or may not know if the jockey is carrying a machine.
The tough part would be proving the trainer knew his jockey had a buzzer.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
The trainer may or may not know if the jockey is carrying a machine.
The tough part would be proving the trainer knew his jockey had a buzzer.
If the trainer didn't know, the jock would be putting his life on the line using a buzzer on a horse that wasn't trained with one...or so I've heard...

Believe me, all these trainers know and are in on it or are the originators of the idea in the first place.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I actually bet this horse.

If I recall correctly the odds were 2-1 ish or 9-5 ish during the gate load.

I also seem to recall the announcer Bill Downs commenting right before the race off that the horse was now odds on.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
If the trainer didn't know, the jock would be putting his life on the line using a buzzer on a horse that wasn't trained with one...or so I've heard...

Believe me, all these trainers know and are in on it or are the originators of the idea in the first place.
While what you say about being dangerous is true, I'm also sure there are jockeys that have used a buzzer with the trainer having no idea.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
While what you say about being dangerous is true, I'm also sure there are jockeys that have used a buzzer with the trainer having no idea.
I'd be pretty shocked if the vast majority of these buzzer incidents (and those that were never caught) weren't initiated by the trainer.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-13-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'd be pretty shocked if the vast majority of these buzzer incidents (and those that were never caught) weren't initiated by the trainer.
I don't even want to think about it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
green80

I've heard trainers tell jockey that "this horse runs from the machine" to let the jockey know it's ok. I've also heard a jockey tell the trainer that your horse responds well to the machine. Works both ways.

Buzzer us is a lot more common than people think, especially at the smaller tracks, it's just not often a jockey is caught.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Buzzer us is a lot more common than people think,
Totally agree with this...
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
green80

most horses respond best to the buzzer the first or second time it's used. As you continue to use a buzzer the less effect it has, as the horse gets used to it. It just more or less scares the horse and he runs from it because the horse doesn't know what it is. Racing in Louisiana for many years, I have seen a thing or two.