Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #91
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Take out the infrastructure cost, provide very high speed Internet on what’s already there..........forget about fiber. This tech is out there and coming. It should change the market drastically if allowed to flourish

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/16/tech...eds/index.html
I wonder if this G-Fast thing is what AT&T is experimenting with in Georgia with an electric utility company?

Someday we may not only catch up to Europe's internet speeds but actually surpass them.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #92
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I wonder if this G-Fast thing is what AT&T is experimenting with in Georgia with an electric utility company?

Someday we may not only catch up to Europe's internet speeds but actually surpass them.
Why are they slow?

Because no competition...

"So why are Americans paying more for slower service? The answer: There’s limited competition in the broadband market.

In fact, half of American homes have only two options for Internet service providers for basic broadband, according to the Federal Communications Commission. And for faster speeds, a majority of households have only one choice.

That’s why a handful of cities have chosen to create their own municipal broadband services to compete with private broadband providers: Chattanooga, Tennessee, Bristol, Virginia, Lafayette, Louisiana, Cedar Falls, Iowa, and Wilson, North Carolina.

The municipal broadband services in these cities often provide faster speeds using fiber instead of traditional telephone or cable lines, though not necessarily for cheaper. Other cities have even partnered with Google to roll out high-speed internet."

Link

Again this is why NN is an issue. It helps keep lousy providers on top.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-16-2017 at 09:01 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #93
elysiantraveller

Quote:
emphasis mine!!!

"POTENTIALLY", you say? Now...we're getting somewhere. Thank you very much for supporting my foundational premise, which was once again: The NN was implemented to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with!

And, yes, consumption has changed and that will impact supply and demand. In fact, sir, are you familiar with the Law of Supply and Demand? Do you have any idea what happens, normally, when demands exceed supplies?

To what shall I liken NN that had actually fixed nothing in its few years of existence? I liken it to a traffic cop pulling over the driver of a really red hot, jazzy, fast really cool looking sports car to give the driver a ticket for breaking no laws. The driver being really incredulous wants to know what that's all about. The cop tells him the ticket is to discourage the driver's potential for actually speeding in the car. Now...if this makes sense to you, then I can understand why you favor NN. Obama making NN a rule is a classic case of someone crying, "WOLF", when there was none to be found at the time, nor is there any to this day.

And this is the second thing you have right. No one can refute anything that hasn't happened and may never happen, anymore than you can prove that it will happen!

Have a pleasant evening, sir.
Every one of your points is based on illogical thinking. You can now be billed more for Netflix simply because... well... Netflix.

I'm glad you're okay with that. But I have shown you countless times how this can negatively impact you and your only response is "well it hasn't happened yet."

Fine. Now it can happen again. Wanna place a wager that ISPs don't roll out new plans in the next 6-12 months?

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-16-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #94
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Things are getting better already.......on my iPad via WiFi in my living room

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 91307EFA-2D1B-49D5-ADAA-47FDB24A475A.jpeg (291.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #95
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Notes the time it was ran... also has nothing to do with NN.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-17-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #96
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Notes the time it was ran... also has nothing to do with NN.

Can’t take a joke?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #97
boxcar

Quote:
Every one of your points is based on illogical thinking. You can now be billed more for Netflix simply because... well... Netflix.

I'm glad you're okay with that. But I have shown you countless times how this can negatively impact you and your only response is "well it hasn't happened yet."

Fine. Now it can happen again. Wanna place a wager that ISPs don't roll out new plans in the next 6-12 months?
I'm illogical but it is you who has your panties in an uproar over what "can"happen -- over what may happen -- over what the future may bring.

A very wise man once said, "Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow for tomorrow will care for itself. Today has enough trouble of its own."
Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #98
boxcar

Quote:
Why are they slow?

Because no competition...

"So why are Americans paying more for slower service? The answer: There’s limited competition in the broadband market.

In fact, half of American homes have only two options for Internet service providers for basic broadband, according to the Federal Communications Commission. And for faster speeds, a majority of households have only one choice.

That’s why a handful of cities have chosen to create their own municipal broadband services to compete with private broadband providers: Chattanooga, Tennessee, Bristol, Virginia, Lafayette, Louisiana, Cedar Falls, Iowa, and Wilson, North Carolina.

The municipal broadband services in these cities often provide faster speeds using fiber instead of traditional telephone or cable lines, though not necessarily for cheaper. Other cities have even partnered with Google to roll out high-speed internet."

Link

Again this is why NN is an issue. It helps keep lousy providers on top.
Yeah....like NN had really pushed us far ahead of Europe, heh?

Btw, I'm already on fiber optics service that I buy from an "evil" corporation.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #99
boxcar

Quote:
I just tested mine this morning to see if my "evil" ISP is defrauding me. But my speeds are still about 10% faster than the advertised service. Looks like I'm good to go for today.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #100
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

My ISP is Rectum, and they have been consistent.
Slow last week, slow yesterday, slow today.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #101
classhandicapper

1. I have owned shares in Level 3 Communications on and off for last 17 years. It just closed a deal is now called Century Link.

2. During that entire time (including now), I belonged to a forum that is dedicated to discussing Level 3, the telecommunication industry, and issues like net neutrality, stock prices etc..

3. The people that participate are private investors, telecommunications executives, stock analysts, and money managers.

From experience, I would suggest you not believe anything you are reading in the media. They are a bunch of clueless dolts that are repeating the same tired arguments and scare tactics that have been coming from both sides all along. I've been reading this nonsense for 10 years. The smartest objective people in the industry barely understand all the ramifications and don't agree even when they do. After all these years nether do I and at times I've had a very significant amount of money at stake.

There was only one thing I came away with from all the debates. The bottom line is that in order to handle the ever expanding amounts of data and information flowing through the internet, telecommunications companies have to keep investing in capacity and new technology (including last mile). The billions they invest have to be recovered.

There are really only 2 ways to do that.

1. Charge the end consumer more money for their internet access because they are demanding more data, faster speeds etc.. and the only way it can be delivered is by making larger and new investments. They could use different charging models, but bottom line is prices for consumers have to go up.

2. Charge the individual companies based on how much data they are sending through the pipes. The most popular sites would get charged more.

If they choose option one everyone will scream they have a strong business position and are using that position to pillage consumers.

If they close option two, the companies getting charged will scream and then charge the consumer for access to recover their costs. Then everyone will scream that they don't get Twitter, Google and whatever else for free anymore.

Well guess what?

Nothing is free.

Someone has to pay for the pipes. So while everyone is arguing whether or not the last mile pipe owners might choose to slow the traffic of competitors or do something else to gain an advantage or whether major left leaning information providers are controlling the information getting to end users, WE ARE GOING TO PAY EITHER WAY. The rest of it is BS. I'm not sure the smartest people in the industry have any idea how it's all going to play out. I have seen no problem either way.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 12-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #102
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
1. I have owned shares in Level 3 Communications on and off for last 17 years. It just closed a deal is now called Century Link.

2. During that entire time (including now), I belonged to a forum that is dedicated to discussing Level 3, the telecommunication industry, and issues like net neutrality, stock prices etc..

3. The people that participate are private investors, telecommunications executives, stock analysts, and money managers.

From experience, I would suggest you not believe anything you are reading in the media. They are a bunch of clueless dolts that are repeating the same tired arguments and scare tactics that have been coming from both sides all along. I've been reading this nonsense for 10 years. The smartest objective people in the industry barely understand all the ramifications and don't agree even when they do. After all these years nether do I and at times I've had a very significant amount of money at stake.

There was only one thing I came away with from all the debates. The bottom line is that in order to handle the ever expanding amounts of data and information flowing through the internet, telecommunications companies have to keep investing in capacity and new technology (including last mile). The billions they invest have to be recovered.

There are really only 2 ways to do that.

1. Charge the end consumer more money for their internet access because they are demanding more data, faster speeds etc.. and the only way it can be delivered is by making larger and new investments. They could use different charging models, but bottom line is prices for consumers have to go up.

2. Charge the individual companies based on how much data they are sending through the pipes. The most popular sites would get charged more.

If they choose option one everyone will scream they have a strong business position and are using that position to pillage consumers.

If they close option two, the companies getting charged will scream and then charge the consumer for access to recover their costs. Then everyone will scream that they don't get Twitter, Google and whatever else for free anymore.

Well guess what?

Nothing is free.

Someone has to pay for the pipes. So while everyone is arguing whether or not the last mile pipe owners might choose to slow the traffic of competitors or do something else to gain an advantage or whether major left leaning information providers are controlling the information getting to end users, WE ARE GOING TO PAY EITHER WAY. The rest of it is BS. I'm not sure the smartest people in the industry have any idea how it's all going to play out. I have seen no problem either way.
Unlike ET, you have obviously heard of the Law of Supply and Demand...and seem to understand it to boot.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #103
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Unlike ET, you have obviously heard of the Law of Supply and Demand...and seem to understand it to boot.
Listen asshole I understand it quite well and regret getting into a debate with a person who thinks the earth is only 3000 years old.

If you could actually read I never said I have an issue paying more. Again you own bias is getting in the way of being rational.

What I have a problem with is telecoms charging me more for one byte than another because of what comes after the www.

If you actually go back through this thread I have flat out said countless times I have no issue paying for anything.

When it comes to understanding networks my father personally installed the one in my town so I have a slight bead on how the shit works.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #104
classhandicapper

Quote:
This is absolute nonsense. The sources you are citing are the greatest platforms of free speech ever created. I can post something there and reach MILLIONS if I so choose.

If anything this will strengthen their hand as they are already established platforms.
If you think Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and others are platforms for free speech you are not only wrong, you are literally delusional. They are platforms where the terms of service reflect the politics of the management - which are all left leaning. That's why there "are" free speech platforms sprouting up (which in turn are getting attacked by mainstream leftist media outlets as promoting hate, bigotry, etc.. to destroy them before they take off.

There are right wing people I personally used to follow getting barred every day for "offenses" to terms of service I deem trivial and others promoting pedophilia, terrorism, overthrowing Trump, killing the first family etc.. that get a free pass despite me and others reporting them.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #105
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Everything you said made absolute perfect sense up until this point.

Isn't it just easier though to pay a flat rate for an amount of data and speed in which you can access it? Seems the best for the consumer to me... but...

Occams Razor.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: