Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
PoloUK6108

1-5 Morning Line

I've watched a lot of horse races, not as many as most on here but still a lot. Can't remember the last 1/5 morning line I've seen, Zenyatta maybe? It makes sense for AP, just saying you don't see it often. I've seen plenty of 1-9 shots, but I've only Heard of shorter off odds than that. If it's shorter than 1/9 does it still just show on the tote as 1/9?
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloUK6108
I've watched a lot of horse races, not as many as most on here but still a lot. Can't remember the last 1/5 morning line I've seen, Zenyatta maybe? It makes sense for AP, just saying you don't see it often. I've seen plenty of 1-9 shots, but I've only Heard of shorter off odds than that. If it's shorter than 1/9 does it still just show on the tote as 1/9?
Yeah still shows 1-9, just like a longshot that might be 200-1----still shows 99-1. There was a horse July 21st at Finger Lakes (where else?) that went off @ 1-20

6 -ALCOLITE 2.10 2.10 2.10
3 -KERRY WASHINGTON 3.10 2.10
4 -LAST RUN 2.10

Good lesson in staying away from favorites, show bets, and maybe Finger Lakes altogether. Good luck Polo
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
lamboguy

if they take place and show for the Haskel, i predict that AMERICAN PHAROAH will pay $2.20 for win.

before knowing how the track will be playing that day i have fair price on him at .13 to the dollar or payoff of $2.26. if i am right, that price is a very skinny one to bet on this horse if you get a rebate.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Elliott Sidewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
if they take place and show for the Haskel, i predict that AMERICAN PHAROAH will pay $2.20 for win.

before knowing how the track will be playing that day i have fair price on him at .13 to the dollar or payoff of $2.26. if i am right, that price is a very skinny one to bet on this horse if you get a rebate.
Assuming you're right, American Pharoah would be a bet at one to five, and a huge overlay at 3-10 or 2-5. Will that happen?? Probably not, as Monmouth Park is too close to New York, not to mention the fact that America (finally) has a Triple Crown winner to obsess over (until he loses a race). What was the last time Pletcher had TWO 30-1 shots on the Morning Line? If it weren't for the crowds, I probably should have planned on going, as I may not live long enough to see the next Triple Crown winner.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Overlay

As I understand the various possible approaches to the making of the morning line, a horse being a very short price such as 1-5 (or lower) would depend somewhat on whether the linemaker was assigning odds based on personal opinion as to the horse's actual chance of winning, or instead on an estimation of how the public will bet the horse. I would think that basing it on an estimate of the public's behavior would tend to produce shorter-priced morning-line favorites.

Last edited by Overlay; 07-31-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Yesterdays Paddock rehersal

Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Hard to tell, without him being all "dressed up" and all the media around...that's the most famous thouroughbred in the world. Just looks like any other horse at this moment.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
PoloUK6108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Hard to tell, without him being all "dressed up" and all the media around...that's the most famous thouroughbred in the world. Just looks like any other horse at this moment.
I know what you mean but I wouldn't say he looks like ANY horse. He looks very well developed at 3 IMO. Eye-catching..but then, so is Dortmund. AP just looks downright stout.
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloUK6108
I know what you mean but I wouldn't say he looks like ANY horse. He looks very well developed at 3 IMO. Eye-catching..but then, so is Dortmund. AP just looks downright stout.
Yeah he does...looking closely, that's one muscular looking equine athlete. Hey Redboard, nice pic. You're from Jersey and you own a camera capable of taking professional shots like that? ....and it hasn't been stolen yet? Thanks for posting --NCG
Old 08-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
davew

if AP goes off at 1/9, then Competitive Edge and Upstart will be overlays
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
I'd be surprised if he goes off 1 to 9, too many people on these big days bet longshots...the Giacomo effect.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I think you need to look a little closer. Look at the musculature and definition in both the front and the rear. This is no "any other horse". This is a monster.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
An overlay is a horse that is going off at higher odds than his win probabilities suggest. What would you say the win probabilities of Competitive and Upstart are? Just looking at their odds, yes, one might think that they are overlays, but when you look at their actual probability of beating AP, not so much.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
An overlay is a horse that is going off at higher odds than his win probabilities suggest. What would you say the win probabilities of Competitive and Upstart are? Just looking at their odds, yes, one might think that they are overlays, but when you look at their actual probability of beating AP, not so much.
I have them both at 10% and AP at 65%
if AP has more than 85% of win pool, one or both of my 2nd/3rd choice will be higher than 10/1
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I think you need to look a little closer. Look at the musculature and definition in both the front and the rear. This is no "any other horse". This is a monster.
Can you imagine if they led a 9 yr old $2k claimer up near AP, people would be shocked. "My God!! What have you done to that poor animal?" Ribs showing, old whip scars all over his hind quarters, probably a dozen other deficiencies and untreated battle wounds horse experts & Vets would be able to list---but lets hang that dentist in Minnesota. Allright...stepping down from my cosmic soapbox. Carry on.