Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #31
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The game can thrive and still not benefit the customers.

Bingo! Just citing handle numbers and attendance on the rare, few biggest days does not mean the customers are happy. The people that support the game all the time are not the same people that bet on Derby day or Whitney Day.

Your song was not just funny, its spot on. The real horse player, loyal customers want fields with more than 5 horses and the take out to decrease not increase. Then, you have people in this industry that mock the customer. They don't want to "hear" about the state of racing. Well, if your customers are complaining and they see a problem......you better see it too......or you are on the eve of destruction.

Quoting numbers from Saratoga....just about the only place crushing it, or Breeders Cup Days does not mean a thing.........if things keep going at this pace....the day will come when that erodes too. Just a matter of time. When the best customers are saying the product is going down hill and costing too much, how are you going to attract new people? Ain't gonna happen. Half of these younger people that show up, are doing everything the track offers except betting. And, once the "big day" is over they are gone until next year.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #32
betovernetcapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapman View Post
Except no one wants to go to Hawthorne. AP is packed with well-off young families every weekend no matter how bad the product is. If you could get slots and get better purses and better fields too it would be the best option for the state going forward. The industry is almost completely dead though this is assuming there's a miracle and they can finally pass the damn slots. Otherwise there won't be even one track left here.

Overall, the sport needs to attract a younger generation and a place like AP is certainly far more up to the task than Hawthorne.

AP offers petting zoos & clowns & such to attract young suburban families. These people as a group don't bet much. Even if they want to bet, it's hard if your trying to keep track of 3 rug rats. The future of racing isn't in track attendance, it's in Internet betting which AP has opposed consistently. They are all ready getting 17% on win bets, 21% on exactas & 25% on trifectas, pick 3s & pick 4s + breakage and an admittance fee. Additionally they get $4-5 dollars for a glass of draft beer that costs them a quarter and about the same amount for a hot dog which costs them a similar amount. If you can't show a profit under these circumstances, the slots aren't going to help.

RE Haw, I always found it a pleasant place with nice people. It's also across the street from the city which helps. When Medowlake was running his 2nd start, in a 2 year old stake race the place was packed, I went into the Gold Cup Room & looked for a place at the bar to sit for the afternoon, No seats. OK-no biggie & then I heard someone calling me Richie-Richie. It was the bartender & he pointed me to a seat with a "drink" in front of it. It was water with a sip stick. He whisked it away & brought me a bottle of beer. Bert Sonnier & the owners were standing with their drinks. I asked "how come I get a seat & Sonnier doesn't?" & he said "cause you tip".

If you want to attract younger bettors, they live on the Internet. That's the place to recruit them.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #33
betovernetcapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Bingo! Just citing handle numbers and attendance on the rare, few biggest days does not mean the customers are happy. The people that support the game all the time are not the same people that bet on Derby day or Whitney Day.

Your song was not just funny, its spot on. The real horse player, loyal customers want fields with more than 5 horses and the take out to decrease not increase. Then, you have people in this industry that mock the customer. They don't want to "hear" about the state of racing. Well, if your customers are complaining and they see a problem......you better see it too......or you are on the eve of destruction.

Quoting numbers from Saratoga....just about the only place crushing it, or Breeders Cup Days does not mean a thing.........if things keep going at this pace....the day will come when that erodes too. Just a matter of time. When the best customers are saying the product is going down hill and costing too much, how are you going to attract new people? Ain't gonna happen. Half of these younger people that show up, are doing everything the track offers except betting. And, once the "big day" is over they are gone until next year.
I like the way you think. Whenever I hear the $5 million dollar something race, I think "what do I care what the purse is? It's not going to me." The super majority of my betting is on claiming and allowance races. I find most of these big races fun to watch, but not so much to bet on. As far as I'm concerned they could lose all of them.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply