Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 04-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
Flysofree
Veteran

My first computer and I fell in love with it was a Radio Shack Tandy. But I didn't buy it at Radio Shack. I bought it from a guy selling them out of his trunk with a horse race handicapping program built in. He had given a demonstration at Pimlico racetrack earlier in the day before the races started. It picked the top 4 horses from information you entered from the Daily Racing form. I probably used it for 2-3 years before loosing it one summer afternoon at Delaware Park. It wasn't cheap, but I remember hitting some nice exactas and tris with the top 4. I wish I could recall the name or details....I can't.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I went from a TI-99 to a Tandy Colortrac II (I think that's what it was called), to a very weak PC (and was hooked after discovering spreadsheets). Today, if it runs Excel and can get on the internet, that is fine with me. I don't care about speed and power, just don't force me to switch the OS I have!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
My best friend at the time had one, I remember the hard drive was a cassette, what was that 1982?
On the C64? That's interesting.

I was about to post that they didn't make one for it (I never saw one) but I googled and see they were available in Europe.

Did you grow up across the pond or somehow get one over here?
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Red Knave
dGnr8

I wrote some programs in Fortran at university (1967) using punch cards but you never actually saw the actual IBM 360/75. It was in it's own air conditioned room. I remember them telling me the floor had a 12" space under it for cabling.
My first micro pc experience was with a Commodore Pet with a 90k diskette (1980?). It was an introductory course at the local community college and, of course, I was using it to write harness race handicapping software in Basic.
The first computer I owned was an Acorn Atom (1981). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Atom I hobbled it by buying a cheap tape player and never really got much out of it.
Then, I cajoled an employer to buy me a KayPro II with a "monster" 9" monitor (that's what the ad said)(1982). I updated the diskettes so I had 4 360k drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
There was the TIMEX SINCLAIR (remember THAT ONE?) We actually only had that one for a few days and returned it.
A friend had one of these (the wedge shaped one) that he used as a doorstop until just recently.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
I wrote some programs in Fortran at university (1967) using punch cards but you never actually saw the actual IBM 360/75.
Yeah, my dad talks about running the punch cards for Fortran programs in the early 1970's. I had a TI=99/4A growing up in the early 1980's with the external cassette tape "hard drive" that loaded programs. Dad got us an Apple IIe in the mid 1980's and then I graduated to an 8086 in 1989. I still remember there was a button on the front of the computer that would "speed" up the processor to 8 megahertz from 4 megahertz, I think. We were accessing bulletin boards to download games at school in 1990.

This is an oldie, but a goodie; this is either a mid 1980'ss photo of PA writing the original code for this website or CJ developing figures for Garden State Park.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.

Last edited by Rise Over Run; 04-06-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
My best friend at the time had one, I remember the hard drive was a cassette, what was that 1982?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
On the C64? That's interesting.

I was about to post that they didn't make one for it (I never saw one) but I googled and see they were available in Europe.

Did you grow up across the pond or somehow get one over here?
Oops it wasn't a hard drive, it was a data storage option. I just relied on memory without refreshing it through Google. I think that thing was bought in a Radio Shack in California.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Yeah, my dad talks about running the punch cards for Fortran programs in the early 1970's. I had a TI=99/4A growing up in the early 1980's with the external cassette tape "hard drive" that loaded programs. Dad got us an Apple IIe in the mid 1980's and then I graduated to an 8086 in 1989. I still remember there was a button on the front of the computer that would "speed" up the processor to 8 megahertz from 4 megahertz, I think. We were accessing bulletin boards to download games at school in 1990.

This is an oldie, but a goodie; this is either a mid 1980'ss photo of PA writing the original code for this website or CJ developing figures for Garden State Park.
Believe it or not, I am STILL using that keyboard!!!

I have kept a late 1980's (1989 I think) IBM keyboard as my keyboard on every single desktop I've built or purchased over the years. It's that good...and that durable. AND I GOT IT ORIGINALLY SECOND HAND, from my Dad's office when they were ditching their old PCs!!

I am so in love with this keyboard, I will never part with it, and I don't think it will ever break. It's a tank, and it's awesome.

This is my current keyboard, and has been my keyboard for close to 25 years:

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #23
DeltaLover

Quote:

I have kept a late 1980's (1989 I think) IBM keyboard as my keyboard on every single desktop I've built or purchased over the years. It's that good...and that durable. AND I GOT IT ORIGINALLY SECOND HAND, from my Dad's office when they were ditching their old PCs!!

I am so in love with this keyboard, I will never part with it, and I don't think it will ever break. It's a tank, and it's awesome.

This is my current keyboard, and has been my keyboard for close to 25 years:

A mechanical keyboard is the way to go..

The one I am using:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop..._detail&p=1365
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's good to know there are enough of us out there who love mechanical, "clicky" keyboards, are enthusiasts for the "buckling spring" design of the keys, that certain companies continue to produce keyboards like this (not very many though, which is a shame).

If and when I ever need to replace my vintage IBM Model M (and honestly, I don't think it's ever going to be necessary...the thing is as solid as a brick and basically indestructible), it's comforting to know I have options!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #25
wilderness

I've still one of these.
Dated 1984 and Part # 1391401

Off an old 8088.

Seem to recall using one of these old keyboards at one time and it required an adapter from PS1 to PS2 (perhaps I'm mistaken?)?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #26
wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
I wrote some programs in Fortran at university (1967) using punch cards but you never actually saw the actual IBM 360/75. It was in it's own air conditioned room. I remember them telling me the floor had a 12" space under it for cabling.
In the late-60s (in Detroit) I used to do cleaning at a computer company.
They had most of the 2d floor of a very large building.
Recall one of the guys showing me all the cabling and cooling under the floor.
They used to discard boxes and boxes of keypunch cards.

One of the programmers was a horseplayer, thus we had much to talk about.

The massive machines had all those reel-to-reel tapes that required frequent changing when doing data searches.

The geeks would spend days looking for simple syntax errors in programing.
The damned screen they worked with wasn't very large, perhaps smaller than those old 12" desktop monitors.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
I've still one of these.
Dated 1984 and Part # 1391401

Off an old 8088.

Seem to recall using one of these old keyboards at one time and it required an adapter from PS1 to PS2 (perhaps I'm mistaken?)?
Yeah, now it requires PS1 to USB...for lunatics like me who refuse to give it up
Old 04-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #28
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
In the late-60s (in Detroit) I used to do cleaning at a computer company.
They had most of the 2d floor of a very large building.
Recall one of the guys showing me all the cabling and cooling under the floor.
They used to discard boxes and boxes of keypunch cards.

One of the programmers was a horseplayer, thus we had much to talk about.

The massive machines had all those reel-to-reel tapes that required frequent changing when doing data searches.

The geeks would spend days looking for simple syntax errors in programing.
The damned screen they worked with wasn't very large, perhaps smaller than those old 12" desktop monitors.
That was me at an aerospace company in Los Angeles about that time.
First as an operator on IBM mainframes with raised floors and those tape drives you mentioned, then a (horse playing) programmer,
systems analyst, systems programmer, etc. I spent decades with mainframes.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #29
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Remember those pulp mags that had the games you could program in machine language? You'd spend all afternoon inputting one and invariably there would be a typo and the thing wouldn't work.
There was a way around that. If it did not work the first time you typed it in a second time and saved both files. If the second time did not work then you wrote a little file compare program that would stop a the first number that did not match. That told you where the typo most likely was because it's unlikely you would make the same mistake twice. You could refer to the mag and and find the correct code. Only once did I have to type it in three times. Of course that assumes the typo was not in the magazine but if the magazine was doing it right the type was set by machine leaving humans out of the loop.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #30
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How do you get an old keyboard to work with a USB port?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: