Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Grits

HOY largely debatable after Classic

http://www.drf.com/news/horse-year-still-debate

A lot of interesting comments follow the piece, from the most recent, down to the first. The stewards may have cost Bayern HOY honors, as he was well on track until Saturday. Don't know when, in recent years, people have been this angry. JMO.

Quote:
Bayern should be 3yo Champion, and possibly HOY. He won at a bevy of tracks, one turn as well as two turn races, from sprints to routes. A no brainer as 3yo champ. He defeated California Chrome 2 out of 3 starts, and C.C. hasn't won a race in 6 months. He also defeated older horses. His resume is just too stacked. Main Sequence should garner his share of HOY ballots, as well as Untapable, who also was beaten by Bayern in her lone start vs. males.

Quote:
If we are to accept the ridiculous stewards ruling of the classic, to not name bayern horse of the year with his body of grade 1 wins and the classic would be a travesty. So to not name him horse of the year would tarnish his victory as not deserved due to Garcia's ride and admit to the public that he should have been dq'd. It is an interesting enigma for the voters. My opinion he doesnt get 3yr old or horse of the year because his bc classic was not a true contest, and most of the voters are not drinking the kool aid dished by the stewards and Andy Beyer. I will give 3yr to cc and horse of the year, your guess is as good as mine.

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

CC is 3yo champ.

SA Derby
KY Derby
Preakness
photo in the Classic.

Bayern did not win any major 3yo races.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
DeltaLover

In my opinion, the Horse of the Year, is a two horse race, that Bayern wins by head, since Chrome was not able to pass by him in the BCC. Non of the others (including Shared Belief) are not in the race.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
In my opinion, the Horse of the Year, is a two horse race, that Bayern wins by head, since Chrome was not able to pass by him in the BCC. Non of the others (including Shared Belief) are not in the race.
Bayern over Chrome is a no brainer for me. He beat him on the square two straight and won the BC Classic. Yes, he fouled some horses, but Chrome wasn't one of them. Chrome has three straight races with only a third to show for it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
CC is 3yo champ.

SA Derby
KY Derby
Preakness
photo in the Classic.

Bayern did not win any major 3yo races.
Agree.....
Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Bayern over Chrome is a no brainer for me. He beat him on the square two straight and won the BC Classic. Yes, he fouled some horses, but Chrome wasn't one of them. Chrome has three straight races with only a third to show for it.
I agree who is going to get it, but I think Chrome has been the better horse and was the better horse on Saturday.

Bayern's 3 biggest wins have come with some combination of a biased track, loose soft lead, or very good racing luck. (usually more than one). But since I don't think voters should (or do) think in terms of how trips impact results and figures, it won't matter.

(It's 2-1 Bayern head to head, he won the big dance, but offsetting that is Chrome has a 3-2 edge in Grade 1s).

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I agree who is going to get it, but I think Chrome has been the better horse.

Bayern's 3 biggest wins have come with some combination of a biased track, loose soft lead, or very good racing luck. (usually more than one). But since I don't think voters should (or do) think in terms of how trips impact results and figures, it won't matter.

(It's 2-1 head to head and Chrome has a 3-2 edge in Grade 1s).
The Classic counts more though, you know that. It is against older horses and much later in the year. Unrestricted races always carry more weight, and none more than the BC Classic.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The Classic counts more though, you know that. It is against older horses and much later in the year. Unrestricted races always carry more weight, and none more than the BC Classic.
I agree on both that and how they will vote.

I still think Chrome is the better horse.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
horses4courses

HOY is so subjective when the contest is close.

They shouldn't bother awarding it unless it's a clear cut decision.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I completely agree
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Why must this be considered a 2 horse race? I am surprised if anyone gets a majority of the votes because you should also throw it

Untapable 7-6-0-0, 3 Gr1 wins
Main Sequence 4-4-0-0, 4 Gr 1 wins
Wise Dan 4-4-0-0, 3 Gr 1 wins

Chrome won the first half of the year, but second half not so much. Bayern was erratic and has a tainted BC Classic win. Untapable was the most consistent for the full year and Main Sequence has the strongest Gr 1 resume and had a tougher task at the BC. Wise Dan is Wise Dan. They should all get votes as well.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Why must this be considered a 2 horse race? I am surprised if anyone gets a majority of the votes because you should also throw it

Untapable 7-6-0-0, 3 Gr1 wins
Main Sequence 4-4-0-0, 4 Gr 1 wins
Wise Dan 4-4-0-0, 3 Gr 1 wins

Chrome won the first half of the year, but second half not so much. Bayern was erratic and has a tainted BC Classic win. Untapable was the most consistent for the full year and Main Sequence has the strongest Gr 1 resume and had a tougher task at the BC. Wise Dan is Wise Dan. They should all get votes as well.
Untapable lost to Bayern by a large margin. Why not just give it to Bayern then? I'd rather give it to the better horse and Bayern faced better horses all year in addition to his wins.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
ArlJim78

I agree, it shouldn't be a two horse race. No way could I vote for Bayern.
The BCC normally carries big weight but this one was tainted and he had some big flops along the way. Main Sequence or Wise Dan are more worthy.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
Untapable lost to Bayern by a large margin. Why not just give it to Bayern then? I'd rather give it to the better horse and Bayern faced better horses all year in addition to his wins.
And Bayern got smoked a time or two as well and round and round you go. Just saying it is silly to only consider male horses who ran either in the TC races or in the BC Classic.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
horses4courses

This thread is proof in itself.
There will not be a winner of HOY this year that 50% will approve of.

Case closed.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply