Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.81 average.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #31
Beachbabe

Monmouth, being near the seashore, could experience less oppressive heat indexes than the more land-locked tracks tomorrow.........maybe.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
highnote

According to Edward Hotaling in his book "They're Off! Horse Racing at Saratoga" racing at Saratoga in the 1800s took place during the morning with the first post at 10:00 AM. This is a good idea. It's cooler then. The horses are on a morning schedule and this frees up the evenings for social time (for the people -- not the horses).

A little digression:

August 14, 1847 was the first day of organized racing at Saratoga. The Old Gray Mare trotted onto the track about 3:30 PM and won her race against the male Moscow. Moscow pulled a two wheel sulky. The 14 year old mare pulled a 4 wheel sulky.

She won the best-of-5 one-mile heats.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
According to Edward Hotaling in his book "They're Off! Horse Racing at Saratoga" racing at Saratoga in the 1800s took place during the morning with the first post at 10:00 AM. This is a good idea. It's cooler then. The horses are on a morning schedule and this frees up the evenings for social time (for the people -- not the horses).

A little digression:

August 14, 1847 was the first day of organized racing at Saratoga. The Old Gray Mare trotted onto the track about 3:30 PM and won her race against the male Moscow. Moscow pulled a two wheel sulky. The 14 year old mare pulled a 4 wheel sulky.

She won the best-of-5 one-mile heats.
Wow, I bet the people simulcasting in California were cranky. You know having to wake up at 6 to go play Spa races.......................
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #34
Wagergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Wow, I bet the people simulcasting in California were cranky. You know having to wake up at 6 to go play Spa races.......................
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
Vinman

Just got off the phone with Brian Skirka at Monmouth, who will be running the handicapping contest tomorrow. He said they won't decide whether or not to cancel until tomorrow morning.

If there is no live racing at Monmouth tomorrow, he said the contest will be rescheduled.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
AP, 7-5, post time 5:00
Pen, 7-6 and 7-7, post time 7:00
Del, 7-7, Canx
Prx, 7-7, Canx
Adding:

CT, 7-8, Canx
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716

How did they get the satellites into space to simulcast the races back in the 1800s? The first coast-to-coast telegraph was not sent until the 1880s. Maybe they sent a DVD by Pony Express?

Californians still have to get up at 6:00 AM to play the first race of the Breeders' Cup when it the first post is 10:00 AM. Nothing new here.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
Wagergirl

Quote:
How did they get the satellites into space to simulcast the races back in the 1800s? The first coast-to-coast telegraph was not sent until the 1880s. Maybe they sent a DVD by Pony Express?

Californians still have to get up at 6:00 AM to play the first race of the Breeders' Cup when it the first post is 10:00 AM. Nothing new here.

missing the sarcasm huh....
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagergirl
missing the sarcasm huh....

Nope. I was just playing along. DVD by Pony Express was pretty funny, I thought. Of course, I do tend to be the first to laugh at my own jokes.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
Wagergirl

Quote:
Nope. I was just playing along. DVD by Pony Express was pretty funny, I thought. Of course, I do tend to be the first to laugh at my own jokes.
I suffer from that issue myself at times. :-)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #41
Mr G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman

Anyone hear what Belmont is doing for tomorrow?

Vinman
Haven't heard anything yet as of 6:30 PM E.S.T Friday night but with temps expected to be in the 90's tomorrow I sure hope they will cancel....And if they don't, I would hope the owners and trainers would pull their horses and jockeys refuse to ride to force them to cancel.

And by pure greed they do run races I won't be betting any and even though they wouldn't miss my money for a race day it would still be my own personal protest....

Anyone who wishes to race in mid 90's weather should be forced to run around the track themselves.
Mr G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
highnote

[QUOTE=Mr G]Haven't heard anything yet as of 6:30 PM E.S.T Friday night but with temps expected to be in the 90's tomorrow I sure hope they will cancel....
QUOTE]

90 degrees now doesn't feel as nearly as hot me as it did 2 weeks ago. Of course, I'm not a horse -- even though my wife says I eat like one.

Still, shouldn't the horses have acclimated by now? How long does it take for a horse to get acclimated to the heat?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
Mr G

It’s Hot Out Here for a Horse

Horses don’t like heat. They evolved in cool, even sub-arctic climates and are generally poorly-suited to deal with hot, humid weather. Heat makes horses sweat. Horses dissipate 75 percent of excess heat by sweating. The remainder of the heat is blown off by respiration. High humidity reduces the horse’s ability to dissipate heat by sweating, making it more difficult to keep the body temperature normal.

Hydration and electrolyte balance are critical in the racing thoroughbred. Muscle, nervous, pulmonary, cardiac, and joint function are vulnerable to electrolyte imbalances. Most electrolyte imbalances in thoroughbreds are caused by excessive pre-race anxiety and perspiration (washing out), which can be exacerbated by the use of race-day Lasix.

Potassium is one of the critical electrolytes depleted by washing out, as are sodium and chloride. Lasix depletes calcium and magnesium. These electrolytes are all essential for proper nerve, muscle, and circulatory function, and they all must be balanced in relation to one another.

When electrolyte dysfunction begins, wobbliness and weakness ensue, stressing the musculoskeletal system. After electrolyte imbalance becomes marked, the syndrome can move into thermoregulatory dysfunction, and the core temperature of the horse becomes elevated, causing further and more serious consequences. Although, high temperatures cause exercising horses to sweat heavily to dissipate the internal heat, susceptibility to heat stress is not solely influenced by ambient temperature alone. Excitable temperaments are the biggest culprit. Calm horses can generally maintain a normal body temperature and minimize sweating utilizing their ability to remain quiet and relaxed. In hot weather, anxiety-riddled horses can become electrolyte imbalanced before the race begins.

Other factors that may make horses vulnerable to heat include failure to be acclimated to hot temperatures and high humidity, tendency to sweat, and withdrawal of drinking water before racing. Racehorses may lose to 10-20L of sweat in a one-mile race. Fluid loss thickens the blood, making it flow more slowly, delivering less needed oxygen as the race perseveres. Additionally, hot horses redistribute blood flow to the skin in attempt to cool the blood off. This combination results in less blood being available for critical racing muscles, resulting in muscle weakness and cramping, weakness that may become especially noticeable in the last half mile of a one and a half mile race.

http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/200...e-for-a-horse/
Mr G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #44
David-LV
Veteran

The forecast for Belmont on Saturday is a high of 102, Belmont should do the right thing and cancel right now instead of waiting for the last minute.

_______
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
Al Gobbi

Monmouth will race tomorrow.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: