Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It's worth at least entertaining the possibility that trainers feel that there is enough of a chance that their horse will bleed without Lasix that it's worth the extra weight to minimize that chance.

It's not all nefarious.
I doubt it but not impossible. The big name guys have no problem sending horses to Dubai and running without it. I bet if it were an option versus a weight break, they'd go with the L every time. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious. The trainers are following the rules. But passing up a possible speed edge versus a small chance a horse might bleed? I don't see it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I doubt it but not impossible. The big name guys have no problem sending horses to Dubai and running without it. I bet if it were an option versus a weight break, they'd go with the L every time. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious. The trainers are following the rules. But passing up a possible speed edge versus a small chance a horse might bleed? I don't see it.
You say they have "no problem" yet it's not as though there is a ton of US participation over there. There is also the question of relative cost between the Pegasus and Dubai. That difference is significant.

Regardless, what small chance makes it worth the small weight break? 2%? 5%? My guess, from an expected value standpoint, it's a no brainer to use Lasix.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You say they have "no problem" yet it's not as though there is a ton of US participation over there. There is also the question of relative cost between the Pegasus and Dubai. That difference is significant.

Regardless, what small chance makes it worth the small weight break? 2%? 5%? My guess, from an expected value standpoint, it's a no brainer to use Lasix.
Seven pounds has never really been considered a small weight break as long as I've been following racing. Horses have been held out of big races over much less. It just isn't considered as important as Lasix apparently. That speaks volumes to me.

We didn't get where we are today with 95% of horses using Lasix because of its preventative qualities. We got here because trainers figured out pretty quickly their horses are at a disadvantage if they don't use it.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
the little guy

Quote:
Seven pounds has never really been considered a small weight break as long as I've been following racing. Horses have been held out of big races over much less. It just isn't considered as important as Lasix apparently. That speaks volumes to me.

We didn't get where we are today with 95% of horses using Lasix because of its preventative qualities. We got here because trainers figured out pretty quickly their horses are at a disadvantage if they don't use it.
I think you are applying your Lasix agenda to this particular situation and I don't believe it applies. It's OK if we disagree about this.

I don't believe Lasix is the problem that you do. One of us is right...and the other is wrong.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I think you are applying your Lasix agenda to this particular situation and I don't believe it applies. It's OK if we disagree about this.

I don't believe Lasix is the problem that you do. One of us is right...and the other is wrong.
I have no agenda against Lasix. I don't think it is great or anything, but at this point in time I really don't give a shit any more. Weight used to be everything to horsemen. Now trainers themselves are saying SEVEN pounds isn't worth giving up Lasix. If you believe that is because of the slim chance they might bleed without Lasix, we'll definitely have to agree to disagree.

I'm going back to watching the NBA and something we both agree on...the Players Only broadcasts suck.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #21
bobphilo

Quote:
It's worth at least entertaining the possibility that trainers feel that there is enough of a chance that their horse will bleed without Lasix that it's worth the extra weight to minimize that chance.

It's not all nefarious.
It's also possible they're getting some performance enhancing effect greater than weight off from Lasix.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #22
the little guy

Quote:
I have no agenda against Lasix. I don't think it is great or anything, but at this point in time I really don't give a shit any more. Weight used to be everything to horsemen. Now trainers themselves are saying SEVEN pounds isn't worth giving up Lasix. If you believe that is because of the slim chance they might bleed without Lasix, we'll definitely have to agree to disagree.

I'm going back to watching the NBA and something we both agree on...the Players Only broadcasts suck.
God I hate those broadcasts. At least when NBA-TV showed the Thunder game the other night, they actually used the announcers. Thankfully the good game tonight is NOT on NBA-TV.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #23
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
It's also possible they're getting some performance enhancing effect greater than weight off from Lasix.
Everything is performance enhancing. A good dinner is performance enhancing. A morning gallop is as well. A peppermint too.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #24
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
I don't really think this an apples to apples comparison. If I lose 10 pounds but carry 10 extra running a 100 meters, will my time be the same as before, faster, or slower? I don't know the answer but I highly doubt it is a one to one relationship.

I think trainers think the performance enhancing effect of Lasix (be it from weight loss or whatever) is greater than any advantage gained by carrying less weight in the saddle, and I tend to agree with them. This is why nobody tried it last year, and probably won't this year. I also suspect this is why 95% of the horses in this country run with the drug.
It may not be a true one to one relationship.

But on the other hand, it probably isn't anywhere close to a four to one relationship (28 pounds less water weight vs. a 7 pound lower weight assignment.)

The fact that no trainer has opted to forgo lasix in order to get 7 pounds off should be telling us something.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-15-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling - it's forgo not forego
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #25
lamboguy

i am going to step in here because it is a misconception that lasix prevents bleeding. all lasix does is reduces the fluids in the body along with side effects. lasix causes the body to produce more urine which can help to remove residue along with fluid in the body in either human or horse.

that being said, there are illegal medications and herbs that will completely block bleeding from horses lungs. it is very unhealthy to the horse, but when used with lasix the substance will exit the body and the tests will come back negative.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #26
sammy the sage

for some so familiar and so-called experts here in regards to Lasix...that still say it has no help on performance...well it's

It's pretty cut and dried...horse loses 20 lbs + in urine with Lasix...so 7 lbs off vs 20...well it's a no-brainer...

To further verify this...just look at English trainer A. O'brien's history in big races and the breeder's cup here stateside...it's STARTLING...

He started out with no Lasix on ANY of his shipper's...and even his odds-on TURF favorites were getting SMOKED...he's since switched and now ALMOST all run with it...and his %'s went UP & UP...pretty clear cut...

Cj was/is most definitely right...just didn't define why/how Lasix works...for those that think otherwise...glad you're in THE pools...
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Everything is performance enhancing. A good dinner is performance enhancing. A morning gallop is as well. A peppermint too.
So let's go ahead and legalize milkshakes, clenbuterol, and amphetamines then.

Most competitive sports compete under WADA rules and go precisely in the opposite direction- you can't even take allergy medication before a track meet. And certainly not Lasix.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
the little guy

I'm actually curious if anyone knows if the three Stronach Stable horses will be running without Lasix, and thus taking advantage of the weight break?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #29
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
has anybody ever been able to tack 101 lbs?

Back in the day. sure. Now. not a chance.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #30
bobphilo

Quote:
One could claim that anything that makes a horse feel good is performance enhancing. What we are talking about here is performance enhancement through medication. Specifically medication not being used to treat a diagnosed medical condition.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: