Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
SG4

Some props for Santa Anita

For all the fire that SA has come under recently for their management decisions, I just wanted to give credit where it's due for seeing 2 customer friendly moves this week, which I have not seen at any track previously. Hopefully the Stronach management group can apply this to all their tracks & maybe other venues will follow suit.

1 - Last Thursday's 2nd race there was some contact in the stretch between the top 2 finishers, and shortly after the race they put up a replay of the head-on with a graphic saying "stewards review" without there being an inquiry. This was a nice move to let the bettors know that the stewards were not asleep at the wheel. Since there was clearly some contact, it was nice to see this was being reviewed, instead of just a quick official with people left to wonder what was up. The runner up was clearly to blame & the review was quickly over, but it was appreciated to see that there was at least some thought.

2 - Just saw this for the first time today, but in putting up the graphic to show how many tickets were left in the rainbow 6 after a few legs, not only did they put up the total but they also broke it down by how many tickets were left to each horse in the race. This would be a great feature to show after every race at all rainbow tracks. I'm sure some would want this for all multis, but maybe let's start with this one.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
For all the fire that SA has come under recently for their management decisions, I just wanted to give credit where it's due for seeing 2 customer friendly moves this week, which I have not seen at any track previously. Hopefully the Stronach management group can apply this to all their tracks & maybe other venues will follow suit.

1 - Last Thursday's 2nd race there was some contact in the stretch between the top 2 finishers, and shortly after the race they put up a replay of the head-on with a graphic saying "stewards review" without there being an inquiry. This was a nice move to let the bettors know that the stewards were not asleep at the wheel. Since there was clearly some contact, it was nice to see this was being reviewed, instead of just a quick official with people left to wonder what was up. The runner up was clearly to blame & the review was quickly over, but it was appreciated to see that there was at least some thought.

2 - Just saw this for the first time today, but in putting up the graphic to show how many tickets were left in the rainbow 6 after a few legs, not only did they put up the total but they also broke it down by how many tickets were left to each horse in the race. This would be a great feature to show after every race at all rainbow tracks. I'm sure some would want this for all multis, but maybe let's start with this one.
I concur on both points. I will also add that most tracks mutuel departments have been quite accommodating when I have called in about the pick 6. Specifically Mahoning Valley. I have called twice being alive to the last leg and they let me know the live ticket details.

Last edited by cj; 01-14-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
illinoisbred

Santa Anita has been good when it comes to running races at listed post times. But, as Nitro mentioned above,there seemed to be considerable time added in this past weekend. Several times Frank M stated "we're inside 1 minute to post" repeatedly for the very same race. I sincerely hope the Gulfstream creep of time at 0 mtp is not the newest thing/idea Tim Ritvo decides to try at Santa Anita.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred View Post
Santa Anita has been good when it comes to running races at listed post times. But, as Nitro mentioned above,there seemed to be considerable time added in this past weekend. Several times Frank M stated "we're inside 1 minute to post" repeatedly for the very same race. I sincerely hope the Gulfstream creep of time at 0 mtp is not the newest thing/idea Tim Ritvo decides to try at Santa Anita.
This started last year if memory serves. It isn't to Gulfstream levels yet but it is pretty bad.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This started last year if memory serves. It isn't to Gulfstream levels yet but it is pretty bad.
Really? I hadn't noticed outside of a minute,two or three added until this weekend.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Gulfstream levels? Regardless of what the time remaining says for Gulfstream to start they still run every 30 minutes.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
dilanesp

Quote:
Well, the clocks don't work very well at Gulfstream.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Why is running past post time considered a negative thing...?

I hope they can get the camera crew to do real pre-post parade coverage like they do for Hong Kong racing...all we get to see at the simos are rear end shots of horses moving away from the camera...truly abysmal, they truly do not ‘get it’ that we want to see the horse prior to the race...why can’t they get this right...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Well, the clocks don't work very well at Gulfstream.
The clocks work fine it’s just that when it says zero minutes to post at Gulfstream it’s not but the time in between races is the same. That is all you have to know.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
The clocks work fine it’s just that when it says zero minutes to post at Gulfstream it’s not but the time in between races is the same. That is all you have to know.

I was making a joke about Gulfstream and timing....
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
illinoisbred

Quote:
Yeah but...and correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't Gulfstream still play along as though the listed minutes to post is legit? They send out the field at what, 10 minutes before the stated time and then proceed to have what amounts to an 18-20 minute post parade. I mean, GP plays along with this charade...right?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Why is running past post time considered a negative thing...?
Because someone who doesn't know which tracks play that game (cough <Stronach> cough) might bet thinking he has 1 minute to post but then there's another 6 or 7 minutes of betting afterwards where the odds change a great deal. If you're not used to playing certain tracks that do this, you're going to either bet too early or get shut out if you wait.

As to why it's negative, for the TRACK it's not negative, but for the bettor it's another quirky racing annoyance to deal with.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Rex Phinney

Is anyone really surprised by the track taking a few extra minutes to send off races. If I managed the track I'd insist on the practice. It's like locking the doors on a parking lot full of customers at closing time.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Is anyone really surprised by the track taking a few extra minutes to send off races. If I managed the track I'd insist on the practice. It's like locking the doors on a parking lot full of customers at closing time.
The bottom line is that Gulfstream runs each race the same amount of time in between each race. Why they mess with the clock it makes no sense but 30 minutes is still 30 minutes.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
elhelmete

Quote:
The bottom line is that Gulfstream runs each race the same amount of time in between each race. Why they mess with the clock it makes no sense but 30 minutes is still 30 minutes.
Nope.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: