Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #691
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Looking forward to reading it. Where can I find this article?
Soon. Just sent a few editing corrections.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #692
bobphilo

Here are some ads that showed up, appropriately enough, on the the ad side of the PA site used for timing track, skying, cycling and cross country. In addition to the traditional electronic timing used at most tracks for the leaders and winners there are more sophisticated systems that also time all the entries, just like Trakus and FPS. They all look pretty affordable for most tracks. Someone had asked earlier how expensive they were.

Have no idea of how accurate they are but I have yet to hear of timing errors at major track meets, especially the Olympics. Maybe tracks with timing errors should look into this stuff used by sports that may do it better. Makes you wonder when some college and high school track meets are timed more accurately than big name stakes races. Is horse racing just too insular to incorporate better and affordable systems from other sports?

Maybe they could be used in conjunction with cj's video type timing. If I were running one of the tracks that have been plagued by timing errors I would be looking look into both these and video timing.

https://www.google.com/search?source...31.6s5wgxyAgng

https://www.innovativetimingsystems....AaAq-rEALw_wcB

Last edited by bobphilo; 12-14-2018 at 09:55 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #693
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just a guess, but I would bet there are certain operating procedures and daily calibration/verification tasks needed to maintain the sophisticated timing systems that tracks just are not doing. Apparently NYRA has no procedure in place to run the correct distance, and not to block the beams with the gate. At GP, God only knows what they do. Timing has been a challenge for them for many years. And I don't even want to know how they figure out distances!

The best equipment in the world is useless in the hands of dolts.
I would guess all the maintenance people are busy servicing the slot machines.

But here is reality of it all. Two major tracks handling millions of dollars in wagers and 1 guy with a VCR is making them look totally foolish.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #694
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just a guess, but I would bet there are certain operating procedures and daily calibration/verification tasks needed to maintain the sophisticated timing systems that tracks just are not doing. Apparently NYRA has no procedure in place to run the correct distance, and not to block the beams with the gate. At GP, God only knows what they do. Timing has been a challenge for them for many years. And I don't even want to know how they figure out distances!

The best equipment in the world is useless in the hands of dolts.
I would guess all the maintenance people are busy servicing the slot machines.

But here is reality of it all. Two major tracks handling millions of dollars in wagers and 1 guy with a VCR is making them look totally foolish.
Its a Beta, I don't do VHS.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #695
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I still call my DVR a VHS.
I prefered Beta as well!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #696
ultracapper

October 21, 2018 Santa Anita 6th race

Actual first split is 21.33

DRF pps have it as 21 3/5
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #697
ubercapper

The Equibase Chart and Video both have the first fraction as 21.65, which would be the same as DRF 21 3/5. Where did you see the 21.33 fraction?
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #698
ultracapper

Geez, I thought I saw it watching the replay of the race, but even the replay says 21.65

I take full responsibility for whatever confusion I shared. I must have been watching another hill race and got my signals crossed. I promise to be more diligent when posting to this thread from here on out.

My bad.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #699
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Geez, I thought I saw it watching the replay of the race, but even the replay says 21.65

I take full responsibility for whatever confusion I shared. I must have been watching another hill race and got my signals crossed. I promise to be more diligent when posting to this thread from here on out.

My bad.
I'm getting confused seeing you two guys posting back to back! Ultracapper and Ubercapper, keep mixing them up!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #700
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I do want to say Equibase chart callers have been doing a very good job of entering times into the system the last few months. I've seen scant few errors and those were very small ones. I'd like to think me being a pain in the butt about it helped somewhat, but regardless of the reason, I'm just glad it is much improved. Tell the guys to keep up the great work Ellis!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #701
ultracapper

It's working then. I was hoping to pick up a little recognition through association.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #702
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
It's working then. I was hoping to pick up a little recognition through association.
I certainly appreciate you helping out as well, I'm sure it helps. Ellis does a very good job getting things corrected.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #703
ultracapper

He takes an important job serious. We can all appreciate that.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #704
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I do want to say Equibase chart callers have been doing a very good job of entering times into the system the last few months. I've seen scant few errors and those were very small ones. I'd like to think me being a pain in the butt about it helped somewhat, but regardless of the reason, I'm just glad it is much improved. Tell the guys to keep up the great work Ellis!

Thanks, I have passed that along.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #705
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Sam Houston is full of timing errors on 1-27, the one day they have graded stakes racing. The G3 Connally was totally butchered, and many other problems on the card too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: