Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
The point I was making was 22.63 is a typo. The actual is 23.63. However TRAKUS had the opening quarter in 23.54
This is actually very common. Trakus rarely matches exactly with the track timer.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #32
classhandicapper

I get the feeling this is eventually going to be the 2nd longest thread behind "religion" in the OT area.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is actually very common. Trakus rarely matches exactly with the track timer.
Which do you consider to be the more accurate?
Trakus or the electronic timing of the facility?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Which do you consider to be the more accurate?
Trakus or the electronic timing of the facility?
Depends what you want...for the exact time the leader hits the beam at each call, the track timer. For the horses not in the lead, I prefer Trakus. I personally like to use the track timer for the official calls, then use the time behind from Trakus to figure out the real times of the also rans. If that doesn't make sense I can explain later.

The above is for dirt. On turf, once the rail moves or the distance is listed as "about" in the Equibase charts, I prefer Trakus times.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Equibase has taken steps to fix (as best they can) all the faulty times listed in this thread.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #36
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Equibase has taken steps to fix (as best they can) all the faulty times listed in this thread.
I'd like to see how EQB can resolve the Delta ones, but that's good to hear.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #37
johnhannibalsmith

I meant that it looks like the races are being hand-timed using the tele-timer or there's a wacky malfunction for it to be posting official finish time prior to tripping the actual finish cell.

Last edited by cj; 01-05-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I'd like to see how EQB can resolve the Delta ones, but that's good to hear.
That is why I threw in "best they can" 😀
Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #39
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
That's about the time i kept coming up with. Good for them.. You know the other night the time went up early again at a 5f race but they caught it right away this time around..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #40
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
That's about the time i kept coming up with. Good for them.. You know the other night the time went up early again at a 5f race but they caught it right away this time around..
Yes, they did. There are times it helps to talk to people that can actually help. I did that and hopefully it pays off. It is an equipment issue and hopefully will be fixed very soon. Thanks for bringing this up with me!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #41
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah, didn't mean it to be a reflection on EQB and after the deleted posts that I was replying to subsequently it actually reads better to clarify that. I know people shit all over EQB here regularly, but I have to say that in my working with them at the track, the two guys that I had the pleasure of working with cared more about this sort of stuff than most of the people providing them the data to work with. I was really happy to have something of an ally in those two men when it came to this sort of stuff and trying to get things right.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #42
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Depends what you want...for the exact time the leader hits the beam at each call, the track timer. For the horses not in the lead, I prefer Trakus. I personally like to use the track timer for the official calls, then use the time behind from Trakus to figure out the real times of the also rans. If that doesn't make sense I can explain later.

The above is for dirt. On turf, once the rail moves or the distance is listed as "about" in the Equibase charts, I prefer Trakus times.
I never quite understand the 1st call Trakus time for horses who aren't the leader. Especially when there's an extra long runup or for 1st call leaders who didn't break on top.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #43
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I never quite understand the 1st call Trakus time for horses who aren't the leader. Especially when there's an extra long runup or for 1st call leaders who didn't break on top.

How so? I genuinely curious. The way Trakus handles the run up is certainly different so you could be on to something. Can you give an example?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #44
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
How so? I genuinely curious. The way Trakus handles the run up is certainly different so you could be on to something. Can you give an example?
I know Trakus gives fractional times for each horse but a slow breaker like a Runhappy who may break a couple of lengths behind the field doesn't appear to get his true time for the1st fraction. Say the 1st qtr is 22.00. He may be .03 behind and I believe he gets 22.03 for the 1st qtr when in fact he may have run 21.81 lets say. Each subsequent fraction for all horses seems to be correct. I think I'm right but not 100% sure.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I know Trakus gives fractional times for each horse but a slow breaker like a Runhappy who may break a couple of lengths behind the field doesn't appear to get his true time for the1st fraction. Say the 1st qtr is 22.00. He may be .03 behind and I believe he gets 22.03 for the 1st qtr when in fact he may have run 21.81 lets say. Each subsequent fraction for all horses seems to be correct. I think I'm right but not 100% sure.
I don't think this is any different than the standard method of timing. I get what you are saying, he was behind at the point the official timing started, but until Trakus gives us the actual distance and time of the run up (which they do have available but keep a secret) the "untimed" portion of the race will always cause anomalies like this.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: