Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

How to spot someone at the track that knows something?

The tellers should know a lot of information based on a bettors picks and trips to the window to collect. There has to be something else to look for. Several years ago I was standing next to a guy at Gulfstream that seemed like a regular but not the degenerate type. He got on the phone and I overheard him give someone the late double early on in the card. I wrote it down forgot about it and saw my writing on the paper in the last race. The double paid 89.00 . 15-1 with a 2-1 . That guy wasn’t just lucky he looked like he knew something( whatever that means lol). I’m going to Gulfstream this week and will be looking for someone who knows someone. Lol
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
The tellers should know a lot of information based on a bettors picks and trips to the window to collect. There has to be something else to look for. Several years ago I was standing next to a guy at Gulfstream that seemed like a regular but not the degenerate type. He got on the phone and I overheard him give someone the late double early on in the card. I wrote it down forgot about it and saw my writing on the paper in the last race. The double paid 89.00 . 15-1 with a 2-1 . That guy wasn’t just lucky he looked like he knew something( whatever that means lol). I’m going to Gulfstream this week and will be looking for someone who knows someone. Lol
Avoid mirrors
Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 AM   #3
davew

You should go stand where you saw him, maybe he will be there again.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
You should go stand where you saw him, maybe he will be there again.
I have thought of that and i slightly remember what he looks like. The teller angle may work as I met a teller this past summer at Saratoga that also works at Gulfstream.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Avoid mirrors
Hot coffee through my nose.
What a great way to start my day!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
chiguy

Quote:
I have thought of that and i slightly remember what he looks like. The teller angle may work as I met a teller this past summer at Saratoga that also works at Gulfstream.

As a weekend teller for 30 years I can tell you that someone who looks like they know something and cashes one day, will look like someone who knows something and loses the next day. Working near San Luis Rey now and we get our fair share of stable bettors. Some win, some lose. During my first year of going to the races of Del Mar back in 1985, I attended a handicapping seminar before the races where a trainer who had two in that day said one would run very well (he didn't) and the other was just tuning up for a fall race at HP (he won). Never sure if he knew or if nobody knows for sure.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
green80

a successful bookmaker once told me that he would love to book all the jocks at the track
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Afleet

Quote:
Avoid mirrors
Boom!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
a successful bookmaker once told me that he would love to book all the jocks at the track
Are you sure he didn't say that about the race announcers?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
Milkshaker

I knew a teller who, in the 1980s, got assigned the plum job of taking bets in the press box at a decent-sized track. This was before the era of self-service betting machines, and b/c there was no direct mutuel hookup to the press box, he did it the old fashioned way--wrote everybody's bets down, took their money, and went downstairs to place the wagers at a dedicated machine in the mutuels office.

The guys in the press box didn't know it, but for the most part, he booked their bets.

He never stiffed anyone when they won/he lost by doing this. And he would've turned a nice profit--except he was a losing horseplayer himself, and he pissed the money away by repeatedly backing his own selections. So for the most part, he barely broke even.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Greyfox

Quote:
Avoid mirrors
I luv that!
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Nitro

Quote:
I knew a guy years ago who claimed his afternoon office was staked out at the $100 window.

So, you might want to give that a shot, if you believe money talks.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #13
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
There's a guy at the lone star Simo that claims to be a bookie (sports betting). Comes only on Saturdays, he bets nothing but chalk. He was talking shit a while back to someone I was sitting near, I told him I'd book his horse bets if it weren't illegal. He kind of piped down, but he's one of the worst bettors I've seen out there. Kind of surprising. A bookie who can't bet anything more than chalk.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
MPRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
There's a guy at the lone star Simo that claims to be a bookie (sports betting). Comes only on Saturdays, he bets nothing but chalk. He was talking shit a while back to someone I was sitting near, I told him I'd book his horse bets if it weren't illegal. He kind of piped down, but he's one of the worst bettors I've seen out there. Kind of surprising. A bookie who can't bet anything more than chalk.

I didn't know you were at Lone Star. You've probably seen me around.
The patch usually gives it away who I am.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #15
ElKabong

Have never noticed anyone there with a patch.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: