Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
AJanks

Biscayne K.C

Hi everyone...I collect horse racing tote tickets and know a lot historically about horse racing tracks & certain meets and such. Even if I don’t, usually a quick google search can help. However, I saw this posted on eBay and have never seen a ticket posted from here before, a place called “Biscayne K.C.”

If anybody could give me some backstory on the track or anything like that, I would appreciate it. I’m sure nobody witnessed it firsthand as I was able to find out park-mutual wagering in Kansas City was outlawed from sometime in the 1930s until the 80s, but any information is appreciated.

Link to the eBay listing: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153341081360

Last edited by AJanks; 01-15-2019 at 09:04 PM.
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
the little guy

It's a defunct Greyhound Track on Key Biscayne, the first Key which is right over the bridge from Miami, called Biscayne Kennel Club.

I've seen it, but it seemed long closed when I used to spend a lot of time there in the mid 90s.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
AJanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It's a defunct Greyhound Track on Key Biscayne, the first Key which is right over the bridge from Miami, called Biscayne Kennel Club.

I've seen it, but it seemed long closed when I used to spend a lot of time there in the mid 90s.
Thank you! I thought maybe the “KC” meant kennel club instead. I appreciate the info.
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJanks View Post
I thought maybe the “KC” meant kennel club instead.
It does...did?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
judd

all dog tracks in fl will be a thing of the past in 2 years
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Hi everyone...I collect horse racing tote tickets and know a lot historically about horse racing tracks & certain meets and such. Even if I don’t, usually a quick google search can help. However, I saw this posted on eBay and have never seen a ticket posted from here before, a place called “Biscayne K.C.”

If anybody could give me some backstory on the track or anything like that, I would appreciate it. I’m sure nobody witnessed it firsthand as I was able to find out park-mutual wagering in Kansas City was outlawed from sometime in the 1930s until the 80s, but any information is appreciated.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...633-story.html

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ni...r-3213258.html
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2019, 02:44 AM   #7
BreadandButter

Biscayne Kennel Club was a fabulous track. Much larger and nicer than the majority of t-bred tracks I've had the opportunity to visit. Ranks up in there one of my top 3 tracks of any breed and I've been to probably 60+ tracks over the years. Barry University purchased the land and tore down the track and building.

They had what was billed as one of the first or largest video boards in the US in the infield at one time. An interesting side note is that they ran very few of what was the most standard distance in greyhound racing in NA that being 5/16th of a mile. The track was so large that when they would run 5/16 races they rolled out the box near the first turn and it was just under one lap.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
ronsmac

That 7.6% parimutuel state tax was really oppressive. In Maryland it was only 0.5% back then.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
king kong

I was there on my honeymoon , bus would pick you up in front of the hotel. 50 years ago! Lots of Taunton dogs made us $$
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Unbridled

Quote:

I lived in the area in the 1980s but this newspaper article probably answers some questions. It is from 1995:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-...633-story.html

A photo of the Biscayne Kennel Club:

http://historymiamiarchives.org/guides/?p=digitallibrary/digitalcontent&id=596

Last edited by Unbridled; 01-30-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Unbridled is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
rgustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

Andy, I think you misremembered, it was not on Key Biscayne, but I think somewhere in North Miami.
rgustafson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
BuddyOscar

Yes it was in Miami
115th Street
BuddyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgustafson View Post
Andy, I think you misremembered, it was not on Key Biscayne, but I think somewhere in North Miami.
You're probably right. My brain isn't functioning as well as it once did.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
ultracapper

That ticket is linked to the entries page at Equibase.

On Equibase, however, it's referred to as a HORSE racing tote ticket. It's the kennel club ticket though.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-31-2019 at 12:05 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: