Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
luisbe

That's exchange rate difference.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Gorrex

No it's not at least not entirely.

Since the takeout rates are higher for Canadian residents the payouts are lower by a similar margin. You contribute less money to the pools therefore you get less money out for the same base wager.

Its called Net pool pricing and exists almost entirely due to Canada.

https://www.dailyracing.com/news/ana...-pool-pricing/

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager

Last edited by Gorrex; 01-14-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

The exchange rate has zero effect on payout prices. If you wager in Canadian dollars you get paid in Canadian dollars. Similarly if you wager $US, you get paid in $US. As Gorrex notes such is possible with Net Pool Pricing which allows various foreign currencies to be combined into one 'co-mingled' pari-mutuel pool between different countries.
EagleEye Po is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Gorrex

Currency exchange is done prior to the pool calculation and is not a part of net pool pricing. Payouts are also exchanged after pool calcs.

The reason I left the possibility of exchange being a factor is I was not sure of the source of each payout. In addition to the NPP issues if looking at certain sites your looking at different currencies.

Varying takouts, breaks and rounding rules are what's covered by NPP.

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

Thanks for clarifying Jason. The point I am making is that the lower payout prices on HPI vs US host tracks are strictly the result of WEG charging a higher takeout rate. In the example earlier in this thread, the $128.14 difference in the $0.20 superfecta goes directly in to WEG's pocket not the winning ticket holder(s) pocket. As a result Canadians are competing on a field that is tilted against them in those pools.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #21
mike_123_ca

First of all ... a big thank you for posting the PDF showing the comparison.

What I find most unacceptable is that HPI is not open and transparent with takeout rates. It is truly impossible for the online player to obtain this data from HPI. It is not posted on their website and when contacted they acknowledge this fact. They also admit that it can only be found on the back of hardcopy programs (not the online version), therefore one has to drive to Woodbine racetrack or OTB to get this info. To make matters even worse, it is not free as you need to purchase the program(s).

I find this to be deceptive and bordering on illegal. I am hoping more customers (and HANA?) complain directly to HPI and demand changes.
mike_123_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
cutchemist42

What I find interesting (assuming the PDF is all correct) is that not all 2agers are treated equal. They keep Win bets the same but jack it up on place and show?

I think every pick 3 is jacked up but some Pick4s are still listed at 12 and 15%rates.

I'm thinking though that maybe ASD further charges me more as some bets that are indicated as matching the host still have higher takouts when I look at my hpi.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 11-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

Takeout rates on some wagers can be different in each province. I hope to provide a takeout chart for each province in the near future. If you have Manitoba's HPI takeout rates I would appreciate if you could post or send ma a copy. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
lamboguy

if you have a Canadien address and play from Canada on the exchange the commission in Canada is 6% while New Jersey chages 12% of the win.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #25
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

Which exchange are you referring to?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #26
lamboguy

not sure which one, but i think its Betfair
Old 11-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

Sadly Betfair abandoned Canada 3-4 years ago. But it was 6% when they were here.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #28
cutchemist42

Used to love Betfair.....going to go through orbit exchange in the Winter I think
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
lamboguy

i know that the w-p-s takeout for Woodbine thoroughbreds is under 15%. if you are good you can get an ADW that gives a 7% total rebate add in that Canada pays the dime, it would give a real good handicapper a big edge in those pools as long as they don't over bet them.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #30
EagleEye Po
Journeyman

Win is 14.95%. Place and Show are 16.95%. They are the only track in NA that I am aware of that charges more for place and show.
If you are willing to share I would love know what ADW offers a 7% rebate on Woodbine??

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: