Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This is the condition NYRA has been using for a while now.
Basically, you can run claimers and not get them claimed.
Keep you eyes open in these.

I posted on at NYRA here last year or so that paid like $15.00 and it had won 8 races - nothing else in the field had won more than 1.

Last edited by Tom; 12-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This is the condition NYRA has been using for a while now.
Basically, you can run claimers and not get them claimed.
Keep you eyes open in these.

I posted on at NYRA here last year or so that paid like $15.00 and it had won 8 races - nothing else in the field had won more than 1.
That's an interesting angle, and probably works best at those mid-odds range, where the horse is slightly dismissed.

There was a similar one at Gulfstream over the past couple days. Paid pretty good in a full field IIRC.

One of the last things I remember my father telling/talking me about horseracing was "these starter allowance horses stink"...

I'm no historian, but I have a vague impression that 'Allowance' races were serious races during the 70's and 80's, while today that group a notch below stakes races is mostly called 'Optional Claiming'.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #18
ultracapper

This is F!@&ng ridiculous.

They card one of these opening day. In the condition book it reads "maiden OF claiming", on the Equibase entries it reads "maiden OR claiming". The race opening day fills as if it's "OF", meaning all entries had only a maiden claiming win to their credit.

New Years Day, Race 1, again reads "OF" in the condition book, and "OR" on the Equibase site. This time, however, it fills as if "OR" applies. There are horses with multiple claiming race wins, another with a MSW win to it's credit, all horses that would not qualify if the wording in the condition book, YES, THE SANTA ANITA RACING OFFICE'S CONDITION BOOK, applied.

This is so effed up. I guess it gives the guy that's on the backstretch filling these races a little flexibility though. He can just ask the trainers what they need, and the racing office can just fill the race accordingly
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 03:35 AM   #19
ultracapper

As this starter allowance is now written, and as it's filled on New Year's Day, there are only 3 differences between it and an N1X, and they are relatively minor.

1) To qualify for this starter allowance, the horse must have raced for a claiming tag of $50,000 or less at some time,

2) If the horse has won a starter allowance at one time, it is not eligible for this starter allowance, and

3) A horse that has won a state-bred N1X allowance is not eligible to race in this starter allowance.

That's it. That's the only difference between this starter allowance and an N1X.

They could fill 4 or 5 of these starter allowance races a week if they wanted. Every horse that has ever ran for a tag and not won an allowance, hcp or stake is eligible.

What does Alw50000s mean in a Santa Anita running line in the past performances? It'll be anybody's guess. We'll have no idea what the make up of the field was. It could have been a field of N2Ls, or it could have had a handful of 8 time winners of mid level claiming races.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What does Alw50000s mean in a Santa Anita running line in the past performances? It'll be anybody's guess. We'll have no idea what the make up of the field was. It could have been a field of N2Ls, or it could have had a handful of 8 time winners of mid level claiming races.
then you have an edge.
Keep notes. YOu will have infor the crown doesn't.
The whales probably have it all, but at least you have an opportunity.
I keep coppius notes on NYRA Str Alw races.

The Condition book is probably printed from templates for each race, not 100% written from scratch, so the typo will be OF until someone fixes it ( my guess).

Yes, you could have a multiple winner of $25-40,000 open races in a field of NW2 claimers, but the purse would make it less likely to happen.

Patience, weed hopper.
The river runs all day and all night and is still right there.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 AM   #21
ultracapper

Point taken. I just prefer an order to things I guess.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
ultracapper

1/4/2019 Race #1

If you're going to play a track seriously, you better know and understand the condition book. Of the 9 entries in this race, 7 are dropping from N1X. That is where you start when you approach handicapping this race. Worry about numbers and pace scenario later. Connection intent is absolutely the first place you start with this race.

Edit: Actually 6 are dropping from conditioned allowance. the 7th I was counting is facing winners for the first time after a MSW win at Lone Star.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-04-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #23
Thomas Roulston

Another variant is a starter allowance for horses which have started for a claiming price of $50,000 (or some lesser amount at smaller tracks) or less and have not won a race other than maiden, claiming or starter or optional claiming price $50,000.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
ultracapper

Well, they corrected the typo in Condition Book #2. It's OR. So now multi win claimers are going to be filling those races. The last one they ran was a field of 8 and only the 6 had 3 wins, all the remaining horses had only their maiden win. The 3 race winner won and paid $14+. But the trainers are going to adjust quickly, and those kind of fields will disappear quickly.

Personal opinion is that they have made a mistake with the change, and I won't be playing the condition any longer. It's a completely different race than they've been running for the 18 years I've focused on SoCal. There is no StAlw N2L for older horses at Santa Anita at the moment. That's the race I'm looking for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: