Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
Thomas Roulston

Does Santa Anita's 3F Chute Still Exist?

I'm pretty sure that the one at Tampa Bay Downs still does - although I can't find any evidence that it has been used recently.

And Canterbury Park has that weird 3 1/2-furlong chute, which is basically a "stub" version of Keeneland's 4 1/2-furlong chute.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
I'm pretty sure that the one at Tampa Bay Downs still does - although I can't find any evidence that it has been used recently.

And Canterbury Park has that weird 3 1/2-furlong chute, which is basically a "stub" version of Keeneland's 4 1/2-furlong chute.
In 1973, Santa Anita took it out, as part of the same reconfiguration that moved the training track into the infield. They built new barns where the chute was (just like Gulfstream did when they got rid of theirs about 15 years ago).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
In 1973, Santa Anita took it out, as part of the same reconfiguration that moved the training track into the infield. They built new barns where the chute was (just like Gulfstream did when they got rid of theirs about 15 years ago).

Thanks - and I voted up your answer even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Then again, there's always Hialeah if thoroughbred racing is ever brought back there - and it does have a 3-furlong chute, which can also be used for 1 1/2-mile races since Hialeah is a 1 1/8-mile track.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Thanks - and I voted up your answer even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Then again, there's always Hialeah if thoroughbred racing is ever brought back there - and it does have a 3-furlong chute, which can also be used for 1 1/2-mile races since Hialeah is a 1 1/8-mile track.
Thomas, I have to say that I find it interesting that you didn't post for over 2 months, then returned and your first post back was to ask if a chute that was removed 46 years ago was still being used.

You have a fascinating mind, and an inability to Google things.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Thomas, I have to say that I find it interesting that you didn't post for over 2 months, then returned and your first post back was to ask if a chute that was removed 46 years ago was still being used.

You have a fascinating mind, and an inability to Google things.
He's been busy for two months looking for it~!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
He's been busy for two months looking for it~!

Actually I have been: I really get involved with the NFL during its season. Plus I write an article for Sports Central every 2 or 3 weeks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: