Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
boxcar

An Obituary for Common Sense

The following is reprinted from the London Times and was forwarded to my wife by a friend. I thought it worth posting here.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death
- by his parents, Truth and Trust,
- by his wife, Discretion,
- by his daughter, Responsibility,
- and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;
- I Know My Rights
- I Want It Now
- Someone Else Is To Blame
- I'm A Victim
- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Greyfox

Common sense isn't common in this century.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So now that CS is dead, will he be voting democrat?
Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
azeri98

It is dead if you are left or right, if you are Indy it's still there
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
It is dead if you are left or right, if you are Indy it's still there
I don't believe I know any conservatives who subscribe to the foolishness listed in my original post. It seems to me, it's the left who is totally estranged from Common Sense.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I don't believe I know any conservatives who subscribe to the foolishness listed in my original post. It seems to me, it's the left who is totally estranged from Common Sense.
Calling people who are trying to find a better life "Invaders" is pretty foolish in my eyes, they should do it legally but they are just trying to flee violence and provide a better life for themselves, they are not "Invaders".
Old 11-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
Ocala Mike

Quote:

Calling people who are trying to find a better life "Invaders" is pretty foolish in my eyes, they should do it legally but they are just trying to flee violence and provide a better life for themselves, they are not "Invaders".

Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When they follow the rules, they stop being invaders.
They are being offered sanctuary in Mexico.
Many are refusing.

They are INVADERS.

Trump says they are terrorists, criminals, and the left says BS, he can't know that.

You say they are decent people with no agendas.
I say BS YOU cant' know that.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Elliott Sidewater

Common sense was preceeded in death by the truth. A little bit of lying is OK, a lifetime of it or a campaign built on it isn't.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
When they follow the rules, they stop being invaders.
They are being offered sanctuary in Mexico.
Many are refusing.

They are INVADERS.

Trump says they are terrorists, criminals, and the left says BS, he can't know that.

You say they are decent people with no agendas.
I say BS YOU cant' know that.
Trump never lies, right? Some might be bad, don't know until they get here, the only time this land was invaded was by the Europeans who actually had weapons, You can call them illegals if you want there not invaders, they don't have a pot to piss in. All our ancestors came here for a better life they are just trying to do the same. The agenda for most, not all is a better life and safety and security
Old 11-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The agenda for most, not all is a better life and safety and security
Most are. Yes.
Not all.
We have laws and we have procedures to take care of those.
If just let them walk in, we will never stop anyone, and if we just let them walk in, it will never end.
The San Bernadino shootings could have been avoided but for 0bama's refusal to allow us to vet refugees social media. He put their privacy ahead of our security and people died.
Do you learn nothing from history?

Of course Trump has lied, and the left has not?
Old 11-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
MargieRose

Quote:
Pure semantics:

'invade' - one of eight definitions, per dictionary.com...

to penetrate; spread into or over: Ex. - The population boom has caused city dwellers to invade the suburbs.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
How long have you had your love affair with simple-mindedness? So, these thousands of people just coincidentally and spontaneously met each other on their trek north and decided to join hands and sing kumbaya all the way to America?

Tell me something, lover of naivete: if your door bell rang and you opened the door to 100 people standing outside, and they all rushed in to your house because the say life has dealt them a harsh hand, would you not consider your house to be under invasion?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #14
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
How long have you had your love affair with simple-mindedness? So, these thousands of people just coincidentally and spontaneously met each other on their trek north and decided to join hands and sing kumbaya all the way to America?

Tell me something, lover of naivete: if your door bell rang and you opened the door to 100 people standing outside, and they all rushed in to your house because the say life has dealt them a harsh hand, would you not consider your house to be under invasion?
Even without sending the military to the border, it is well guarded by ICE. I spent a lot of time at the border in the early 2000's working on a way to make the crossings more efficient. This includes Tijuana, Otay Mesa, Tijuana, Nogales, Agua Prieta, Ciudad Juarez, Santa Teresa, Chihuahua city, Nueva Laredo, Matamoros. How much time have you spent at the border on the Mexican side?

No way an unarmed crowd gets across the border. They'll know where the caravan is in plenty of time to prepare to meet them.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
azeri98

Quote:

I'm not saying you have to let them in, let them go the the process and see if they qualify, if not send them back, do you consider your ancestors invaders? Unless you are Native American your family came from somewhere else, do you consider your ancestors invaders?. A lot of Europeans came to the U.S. during World War 2 and after, hoardes of them came on boats fleeing war, were they invaders too?

Last edited by azeri98; 11-06-2018 at 08:26 PM.