Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #1651
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I had no financial interest in the race, but I didn't like that Monomoy Glrl DQ.

I don't want the stewards making subjective judgments like that.

Yes, Geroux purposely came in, and yes, Smith checked and decided to go outside. However, Monomy Girl was still clear at that time. That's race riding.

If you want to argue that all herding and race riding should be against the rules because it's dangerous and the best horse may not win, that's fine. I would even agree with that. But I see worse cases all the time without a DQ. It's subjective and will vary from track to track and race to race. IMO, the last thing we need in racing is stewards making more subjective decisions. For every one I agree with, there will be one terrible one I disagree with.

The drift out was also an issue, but she was under right handed whipping and there was still no contact. I see worse than that practically every single day I watch head on replays.

Even if you want to argue that margin was only a neck, what would have happened is still subjective. Monomoy Girl was still dead game and digging in. There's no way anyone can know if she would have let Midnight Bisou by.

There's no consistency and it's subjective. That's not a good place to be. That's why we get so many bad decisions. Unless there's contact or you are not clear when you come over, there should be no DQ UNTIL the rules are changed. Just change the rules if you don't want race riding.
Its funny though she just happen to not keep a straight path to the inside, right when the other horse is making her move.

Then she just happens to go 5 paths to the outside, when again the horse is making her move.

I have been the most vocal for more take downs and you wouldn't see these guys steering the horses all over the course. Its funny that the rider made it sound like the horse just did that on her own, amazing coincidence if true.

All these hearding riders that change multiple paths should come down in my book.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #1652
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I'm a big advocate of letting races stand in most cases. This one was about as egregious as I've seen in a big race. I would have voted to DQ in about 30 seconds. It looked really obvious to me. The rider on Monomoy Girl, and I don't even know who it was, was trying to block.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #1653
GMB@BP

I think the worst part is, and a friend of mine involved with the connections texted me 10 seconds after the objection and said what you think, and my response was

"in new york, no way this comes down, in socal its a coin flip, in Philly god only knows how they view this".

The moral being there is no set way, everyone does it different, as bettors we are pretty much guessing what the local rules are and the tracks just do not do any favors for the bettor, just leave us frustrated.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 AM   #1654
trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think the worst part is, and a friend of mine involved with the connections texted me 10 seconds after the objection and said what you think, and my response was

"in new york, no way this comes down, in socal its a coin flip, in Philly god only knows how they view this".

The moral being there is no set way, everyone does it different, as bettors we are pretty much guessing what the local rules are and the tracks just do not do any favors for the bettor, just leave us frustrated.
Maybe this has already been discussed here, but couldn't the racing industry have a group of judges somewhere (like MLB has a group in New York, I believe, to review replays), and decide all objections/inquiries throughout the country, instead of leaving it up to stewards at the respective tracks?

Maybe that would be too many inquiries for one group to judge, so perhaps they could have one for each section of the country - east, midwest and west.

At least we might get some consistency.
trifecta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #1655
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta View Post
Maybe this has already been discussed here, but couldn't the racing industry have a group of judges somewhere (like MLB has a group in New York, I believe, to review replays), and decide all objections/inquiries throughout the country, instead of leaving it up to stewards at the respective tracks?

Maybe that would be too many inquiries for one group to judge, so perhaps they could have one for each section of the country - east, midwest and west.

At least we might get some consistency.

Here is the problem with that. Baseball has 1 set of rules that apply to every team and the rules are mostly cut and dry. The rules in horse racing when in comes to objections/inquiries are vey ambiguous.

If there were 1 set of rules for all jurisdictions, they were clearly defined and adhered to then the idea would appeal to me. It would not be perfect but much better than we have now.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #1656
Unbridled

Any comments regarding the Grade 3 on Sunday at Keeneland? I played Mac Robertson and he is one of my favorites. I don't recall seeing a quote from him or Chris Landeros.

Last edited by Unbridled; 10-23-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Unbridled is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2018, 01:57 AM   #1657
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbridled View Post
Any comments regarding the Grade 3 on Sunday at Keeneland? I played Mac Robertson and he is one of my favorites. I don't recall seeing a quote from him or Chris Landeros.
If you are talking about the race where the squeezed the into the rail and then drifted out and bumped the near the wire, I will give you a comment. I had the / exacta multiple times, and did not have the / played at all. They made the correct call, and it cost me a lot of money.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #1658
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbridled View Post

The commentators on TVG seemed in angry disbelief, and I feel like they usually don't side too harshly on a DQ. Connections were quite PO'ed as well. I was confused by this, the first horse across the wire did not keep a straight path in the stretch, and took away the lane 2x of the horse to her inside albeit very narrowly. If the fouled horse had finished 4th I thought it would've been a takedown, but was surprised when she won the photo for 3rd that they still made a DQ. I thought it was a 50-50 call, but I also haven't been on top of how KEE stewards were ruling this meet & it sounded like they were letting a lot of things go prior to this.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #1659
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
AQU 11-02-2018 R8 --

The stewards conducted an inquiry because the grounds crew was working on the temp rail - and apparently, someone left a piece of the temp rail sticking several feet out into the turf course at about the midstretch point.

Fortunately, all of the runners were several feet out from the rail during that point of the stretch run. None of the horses were impacted and the stewards took the inquiry sign down.

Just one of those odd things you don't see very often.

-jp

Old 11-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #1660
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
AQU 11-02-2018 R8 --

The stewards conducted an inquiry because the grounds crew was working on the temp rail - and apparently, someone left a piece of the temp rail sticking several feet out into the turf course at about the midstretch point.

Fortunately, all of the runners were several feet out from the rail during that point of the stretch run. None of the horses were impacted and the stewards took the inquiry sign down.

Just one of those odd things you don't see very often.

-jp

That's now twice in 3 months at NYRA courses, in fact 2 of the horses in today's race were in the last race where a temp rail incident occurred on Aug 1.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #1661
stringmail

I found a questionable decision in SA3 on Sat (Breeders Cup day). Perhaps the Stewards were watching CD but I thought it interesting that there was no inquiry when the 1 drifted out on the turn of the 5F turf race and seemed to affect the 8 who suddenly dropped back while checking and the 4 had the parting of the seas on the rail.

Whether they would have DQ'd the 1 is open for debate but no inquiry was odd.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #1662
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

anyone have an opinion on the lst at gulfstream today....I had the three win/place and really thought he got bothered enough to move him up.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #1663
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis View Post
anyone have an opinion on the lst at gulfstream today....I had the three win/place and really thought he got bothered enough to move him up.

He got bothered at a tough time in that he was never able to show momentum that he was getting to the winner so I think they left it up because of that, but he might've had a real shot if not interfered with, tough beat.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #1664
Fightingirish51195

Didn’t bet the race, but I didn’t like the DQ decision in the 8th at Delta downs just now. But it was so predictable
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #1665
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I didn't bet the race either.

Based on the so called head on view that was shown while the announcer explained the DQ:

The #9 did come over. It looked to me like the horses got close to each other, but I didn't see an actual bump. The rider of the #9 was no longer using his whip. But he did extend his left arm outward towards the other horse while shaking the reigns.

Do the stewards have video from a better angle showing something more definitive?

Based on what I saw: I would have let the results stand.

-jp

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: