Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #1
Moreno

Improve Saratoga Race Course

I am a season pass holder at the SPA for 35 years.
Would like opinions on how to improve the SPA experience.
Any pet peeves welcomed.
I'll start it off:
-Every year it seems opening day is a surprise to NYRA. Something is always out of order, ie. TV's, sound system, escalator. Betting windows maned by people without a clue. I asked for an exacta box and the clerk answered " sorry, I don't know what a Jack-in -the -Box is" True story.

-Take the picnic tables out of the paddock area, they spoil the whole atmosphere. There are plenty of picnic tables all over the property. Bring a chair!
-Re the paddock area,how is it possible that people are set up with a table or chairs or stake out a place with a tarp BEFORE the gates open!
Someone is getting paid off. UNFAIR!

-Bring back the $2.50 hot dog.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years,and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Elwood P. Dowd
Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Michael

I think people complain or yell because they care. The nail in the coffin is when nobody cares and things go silent.

For the most part, I've stopped complaining with regards to racing. (It's just not worth my time) Nevertheless, I still go to the track once in a blue moon and obviously I love the sport.

One of the things that keeps me away from the track is dime supers. It's absurd how stressful it is to put in a bet while the horses are warming up.

You're waiting in line for a machine and two-cent Tim monopolizes the terminal spamming random numbers for other tracks. Meanwhile, you hear the gate crew yelling...nooonnooonoooo, ok go. and the gates open. They're off... you're standing there.. with no bet on the race, you missed the break and now you're not even watching horses run. You're standing in line fustrated... sound like fun? not me.

*** my post is more a general complaint... not limited to Saratoga.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The last time I was there on opening day, the escalator broke down and I was stranded halfway between floors for almost an hour!
Old 04-30-2023, 05:34 PM   #4
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The last time I was there on opening day, the escalator broke down and I was stranded halfway between floors for almost an hour!
Wow imagine being there having all your bets laid out and ready to pound the windows all of a sudden the elevator stops

Sorry, you had that experience Tom sh*t I sincerely hope this didn't let you miss out on a nice ticket or tickets
Old 05-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #5
adamred

Spa

I'm a rookie compared to the OP. been going around 10 years. few observations about the Spa, which I love, but nothing is perfect. We go generally for Whitney Weekend.
1) the backyard between the food trucks and the parade path is my preferred location. You can get to the trackside easily, and there's a huge screen for watching Andy pre race and for when you just want to sit with your beer
2) tracking down a betting card for the machines every year seems to be a new process. For several years they were available at a desk by the pizza stand, then a guy told me they were changing to a new set of machines, then there was the vending machine where you can only put $200 on the card, and this last year we actually had to crowd into an office (with some very nice ladies) to one by one get a card. Taking a bettors money should be easier than this
3) The line saturday morning, which shouldn't surprise me, but always does is insane at 6am. inevitably it is raining, and when do people actually get there? the night before? We are always able to stake out a space with our chairs and coolers, but man a 5am wakeup sucks on raceday
4) The trackside breakfast, while over priced, is a super way to start a race day. Then go back to your chairs, have a bloody and wait for the track to kick you out and then reopen. i wish there was a way to scan or pay at 7am so you don't have to leave and come back
That's my thoughts for now...looking forward to this summer!
adamred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
BELMONT 6-6-09

Part of the Saratoga's charm is the rainy days and the hot humid days and the crowded days. Its all a part of the greatest meet held in North America imo. Though these situations can disturb the average attendee, myself, i am very grateful for the majority of racing days with the beautiful weather and atmosphere unmatched by any other racecourse...and I've been to many.

And i do believe NYRA does an overall excellent job running this great meeting. Yes, there always seems to be some opening day problems, however, they all work themselves out after the first winner!!! Ha ha
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

I’ve been going for 45 years . Grew up in Saratoga . I’m kind of like the poster that says they gave up complaining. It is what it is . But the original poster is right on about opening day . And I’ll add to that list . Two years ago they sent everyone a new NYRA card . A nice gesture, if the damn thing worked . So , opening day you had to wait in line at one of those customer service “tents” to get it fixed . They have months to prepare but somehow there’s always an opening day problem. I’m also curious to see what happens with the everyone gets to go everywhere this year . The Clubhouse isn’t exactly spacious. I also agree with the picnic tables in the Paddock bitch too . But I don’t understand the people have places stakes out complaint . You are allowed to claim a spot early before the gates open . That’s how they get those spots. They let people set up and then clear the park before admissions open . Been that way forever.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-02-2023 at 10:55 AM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #8
Moreno

SPA

Thanks for the replies.

I probably wasn't clear Re staking out a spot .
The gates open about 7AM when you can come in and claim a spot, they kick you out at 10AM and the gate officially open at 11AM.
No problem with this.
The problem is if you get there at 7AM there are already spots claimed.

BEFORE 7am! Before you can come in at 7AM.
Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The gates open about 7AM when you can come in and claim a spot, they kick you out at 10AM and the gate officially open at 11AM.
No problem with this.

Oh , I got you now . I don’t think there’s payoffs involved but who knows ? I think they don’t enforce the 7 am start time unless it’s Travers Day . They keep everyone out on that morning . You’re right , if you go to breakfast early you see people claiming spots. And I think it’s before 7.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 03:17 PM   #10
Brass Hat

Burnsy is right about the cards, we buy an entrance season ticket each year, and it was a few weeks before the card readers worked; they would wave us through.

We've sat in the same area for years with the same people, a nice bunch of people we see throughout the meet. I've always thought that the people you meet at the track are the nicest people you will meet at a sporting event, despite the fact we have different rooting interests.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 09:05 PM   #11
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
I've always thought that the people you meet at the track are the nicest people you will meet at a sporting event, despite the fact we have different rooting interests.
100% true.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2023, 11:10 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think people complain or yell because they care. The nail in the coffin is when nobody cares and things go silent.

For the most part, I've stopped complaining with regards to racing. (It's just not worth my time) Nevertheless, I still go to the track once in a blue moon and obviously I love the sport.

One of the things that keeps me away from the track is dime supers. It's absurd how stressful it is to put in a bet while the horses are warming up.

You're waiting in line for a machine and two-cent Tim monopolizes the terminal spamming random numbers for other tracks. Meanwhile, you hear the gate crew yelling...nooonnooonoooo, ok go. and the gates open. They're off... you're standing there.. with no bet on the race, you missed the break and now you're not even watching horses run. You're standing in line fustrated... sound like fun? not me.

*** my post is more a general complaint... not limited to Saratoga.
Re: The Spa I find that having Clubhouse side admission alleviates most of the late bettor issues. I either head upstairs to the second level and wager in the rear of the clubhouse or f I'm down near the walking path that leads from the paddock to the track, I head into the Jim Dandy Bar or I bet at the machines behind the dining area along the paddock walkway.
Unless I have a lapse of awareness of Mins to Post, I've never been shut out.
Oh, I NEVER use a live teller.
The people NYRA hires for the Spa meet have little time to be trained.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2023, 11:16 PM   #13
thespaah

Quote:
I am a season pass holder at the SPA for 35 years.
Would like opinions on how to improve the SPA experience.
Any pet peeves welcomed.
I'll start it off:
-Every year it seems opening day is a surprise to NYRA. Something is always out of order, ie. TV's, sound system, escalator. Betting windows maned by people without a clue. I asked for an exacta box and the clerk answered " sorry, I don't know what a Jack-in -the -Box is" True story.

-Take the picnic tables out of the paddock area, they spoil the whole atmosphere. There are plenty of picnic tables all over the property. Bring a chair!
-Re the paddock area,how is it possible that people are set up with a table or chairs or stake out a place with a tarp BEFORE the gates open!
Someone is getting paid off. UNFAIR!

-Bring back the $2.50 hot dog.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years,and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Elwood P. Dowd
Oh, the staking out of spots...Blame it on Breakfast at Saratoga. And the early arrivals who enter as soon as the gates open. The actually RUN to their predetermined spot, Start spreading tarps and blankets, placing coolers, folding chairs or even their baby strollers on picnic tables. Then they leave and come back before the first race.
Pssst...I have moved people's crap off a table a time or two.
If you ain't there, tough darts.
I grabbed a folding chair off a table once. Leaned it against a tree about 15 feet away...The group of 4 people came back to claim "their" space. Our group was I think 6 or 7....They meekly walked away.
AITAH?
Old 05-05-2023, 11:23 PM   #14
thespaah

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

No problem with this.

Ahhh.OK, must be regulars that know NYRA staffers. You can slip a few bucks to them or like my friend's mom, bring them fresh baked goods and they will do stuff for you.
For decades I NEVER paid the clubhouse exchange. We knew a couple people that had been working at the Spa for an eternity.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #15
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Hard to fix perfection but I have a few minor suggestions. One, replace the entire stadium with a brand new one. I'm sure the good citizens of Saratoga Springs would vote that in. Not!

I've always felt that the racing at the SPA is better, but Del Mar is a better place to bring a date.

And two, get rid if the TV booth next to the paddock. This is a new addition ( ok, compared to the years the SPA has been racing.).
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply