Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
drib

Bisphosphonates and Santa Anita

Discussions of the rash of Santa Anita deaths seem to overlook that 5 were in turf races and 6 in main track events. The number of dirt runners since Xmas is many time higher than turf, especially considering that, this year, the rain switched so many races to dirt. The racing surface may not the problem, especially when all the experts can find nothing wrong.
My attention has turned to the bisphosphonate drugs, Tildren, and Osphos. Google them for a complete discussion, but briefly, the drug has a short term positive effect on bone structure, but long term negativity. It has been described as the new "rage" in baby sales b/c it firms up bones, making them look better on pre-sale Xrays; The drug is also a potent pain reliever (infamous Clenbuterol was an analgesic beyond respiratory effects), which allows better movement in consigned young horses. When administered, the drug only lasts 90 minutes in blood, but adheres to bone for many months. Its long term effects are negative for skeletal strength, and, in England, its use has been restricted to older horses. Bisphosphonate improves lameness and soreness, but there is a debate whether this is a result of bone-properties or just pain relief. With its very short life in blood, the drug has been described as very difficult to find in testing. The only sure way is bone biopsy. I have been unable to find a report of a post race positive for bisphosphonate anywhere.
In summary, here we have a potent pain reliever that may not be detectable in race horses. Its use in babies is well known, with resultant long term danger for trainers who don't even know if their charges were given the drug. Given how well it improves sore race horses, and it seems to be undetectable, it would be no surprise if trainers were using this drug.
My question is whether the necropsies done on the dead SA horses included tests for this drug. I am not naive enough to think that bisphosphonates are the answer to the SA puzzle, but this, and other drugs could be a factor.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Why would the impact of these drugs be isolated to SA?

Also, this post really belongs under one of the existing SA threads.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
chadk66

does anybody actually know what they have done in regards to looking into the track itself?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
airford1

They brought back to old Track Super and dug the main track up down to the base and spread the good old El Segundo Sand back over it and deemed it good to go, till the next rain. Still doesn't explain the Turf break downs unless the turf coarse got soft and has too many holes in it, that is very possible.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Yes
They used ground penetrating radar on the track surface. And found nothing abnormal.
But my take is heavy rain, Sealed track, Cold overnight temp. Not very good mix for the surface composition.

Last edited by bob60566; 03-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Why would the impact of these drugs be isolated to SA?

Also, this post really belongs under one of the existing SA threads.
It doesn’t. On-track fatalities are spiking elsewhere, like in Kentucky. The suspicion is Osphos (and Tildren). This is a real and serious subject, unlike all the mind-numbing talk on the non-issue called Lasix.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It doesn’t. On-track fatalities are spiking elsewhere, like in Kentucky. The suspicion is Osphos (and Tildren). This is a real and serious subject, unlike all the mind-numbing talk on the non-issue called Lasix.
Do you have some documentation that other tracks are having similar numbers of breakdowns as the 22 this winter at Santa Anita? A link to that information?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
RunForTheRoses

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that at SA all (or at least most) turf runners have to train over dirt. They also warm up on the dirt.

But that is interesting about these used car salesmen type drugs.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Do you have some documentation that other tracks are having similar numbers of breakdowns as the 22 this winter at Santa Anita? A link to that information?
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...uite-sure-why/
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
One thing not mentioned in this thread is that at SA all (or at least most) turf runners have to train over dirt. They also warm up on the dirt.

That’s true everywhere all the time.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
That’s true everywhere all the time.
More so with SoCal. At NYRA you can work a maiden on the turf. At SA I think only stakes runners can. There is a difference.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
The suspicion is Osphos (and Tildren). .
I made the mistake of googling it.

Consciously , subconsciously, or because I'm busy, my action is off 75% since the Santa Anita developments. I like to bet horses and watch them run around in a circle, but when I look at the backside, my attraction to it lessens.

Here's two things I found and read.

This one is current and sucks.

https://www.doctorramey.com/ready-tildren-osphos/

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...ce=govdelivery
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I made the mistake of googling it.

Consciously , subconsciously, or because I'm busy, my action is off 75% since the Santa Anita developments. I like to bet horses and watch them run around in a circle, but when I look at the backside, my attraction to it lessens.

Here's two things I found and read.

This one is current and sucks.

https://www.doctorramey.com/ready-tildren-osphos/

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...ce=govdelivery
Thanks for the link. Most interesting statements to me:
"The next one are comments from Dr. Larry Bramlage, former president of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, and one of the more important and influential surgeons who has ever put on a cap and gown for equine surgery. These comments are published in the Paulick Report, which is an influential reporting service in the Thoroughbred Racing Industry. In a presentation that Dr. Bramlage recently gave, he said, ““I wish we’d never seen these drugs.” He feels that they are responsible for delayed bone healing, and he’s concerned (as I am) about the indiscriminate use of these drugs. I’ve heard of people using them for “bone maintenance” – that’s just stupid. Anyway, if Dr. Bramlage doesn’t like them, I pay attention."
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post

Same everywhere else
Old 03-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon55 View Post
Thanks for the link. Most interesting statements to me:
"The next one are comments from Dr. Larry Bramlage, former president of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, and one of the more important and influential surgeons who has ever put on a cap and gown for equine surgery. These comments are published in the Paulick Report, which is an influential reporting service in the Thoroughbred Racing Industry. In a presentation that Dr. Bramlage recently gave, he said, ““I wish we’d never seen these drugs.” He feels that they are responsible for delayed bone healing, and he’s concerned (as I am) about the indiscriminate use of these drugs. I’ve heard of people using them for “bone maintenance” – that’s just stupid. Anyway, if Dr. Bramlage doesn’t like them, I pay attention."
100%

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: