Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #46
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I know not all. The number is about 95%, as I stated. The majority of the 5% that don't use it are first timers and two year olds, often both.
True, but they can be compared against other first timers and two year olds, who do use it - Data Mining. Here is a list of the tracks that report:

http://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?se...vocacy&area=11

It's over 100, even if they report (as a conservative estimate) 100 races per year with 8 starters per race. That's 80k starts. 5% of that would be 4k. Comparing over 10 years gives a larger sample too.

I'm not fighting to keep Lasix in the game, although it does put all of the contestants on a level playing field, banning all race days is a good PR move. I'm all for it. I just don't think including Lasix will accomplish what they want.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #47
spiketoo

So the BC released a statement saying 'We support the effort by The Stronach Group to propose important changes and we commit to working with the racing industry in California and elsewhere to achieve meaningful reform on a national basis.'

What is doesn't say is if they are moving the BC...
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
airford1

Total Knee jerk reaction. We will see 3 days week and then weekends only because of all the horses that will leave.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #49
spiketoo

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/...315-story.html

John Sadler, trainer of last year’s Eclipse Award and Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Accelerate, fears a lot of horses will leave California if they can’t use Lasix. Sadler, and other trainers belonging to the California Thoroughbred Trainers, will be meeting at Santa Anita late this morning to discuss the latest changes. The Thoroughbred Owners of California plans a conference call on Saturday afternoon.

“This stuff is so new, I don’t know how it will be implemented or when,” Sadler said. “[Management] has to have some serious discussions on their side. They’ve carded 13 races for the Santa Anita Derby [on April 6]. You have to cut back the number of races and race dates, all those things. … This kind of make-it-up-as-you-go-along doesn’t make sense.”

While resentment is high among the trainers, most are reluctant to speak publicly until either they get answers or the situation plays out further.

“I’m not saying anything,” Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert said. “I’m going to wait and see.”
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #50
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
So the BC released a statement saying 'We support the effort by The Stronach Group to propose important changes and we commit to working with the racing industry in California and elsewhere to achieve meaningful reform on a national basis.'

What is doesn't say is if they are moving the BC...

Tickets already paid for. Flights scheduled.

Lots of hassle for lot of people moving the BC this year.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #51
Rex Phinney

There really is no telling what is going on here. The Stronach family is about as dysfunctional as they come and realistically the only thing we could all agree on is that they probably shouldn't be in charge of a hot dog stand at this point let alone a cornerstone of racing.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #52
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Tickets already paid for. Flights scheduled.

Lots of hassle for lot of people moving the BC this year.

Allan
The UFC recently moved a whole event from Vegas to LA with one week's notice, and those tickets cost a hell of a lot more than BC tickets. Plus who has flights booked eight months in advance? C'mon.

Plenty of time to move the event if that is what is going to happen. Let's get Santa Anita back running first and then we'll see if the BC stays.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #53
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Odds that this is the end for Santa Anita?

I'm not being sarcastic.
If California racing goes so does the rest of the Country. You take that money out of the equation in both terms of handle and the sales ring its going to be a huge hit to the industry.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #54
Blenheim
Race Player

Time has come . . .

Belinda Stronach is a hero and she will become the catalyst who saves horseracing. She deserves the Eclipse Award Of Merit.

Ironic it will be a Woman who saves the Sport of Kings.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #55
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
Belinda Stronach is a hero and she will become the catalyst who saves horseracing. She deserves the Eclipse Award Of Merit.

OMG
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #56
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

There's a saying over at Instapundit: "Get woke, go broke."

Just sayin'.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #57
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Total Knee jerk reaction. We will see 3 days week and then weekends only because of all the horses that will leave.

Money (purses) motivate. Trainers and owners like money. If purses stay relatively the same I predict not much of a change in the horse population.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #58
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post

How so?
By banning race days meds at some of her tracks and not all?

First break down at GP and the horse is on lasix, PETA will be all over it.

Belinda or Fanky, whoever, I hear Stronach, think horse's ass!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #59
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
The UFC recently moved a whole event from Vegas to LA with one week's notice, and those tickets cost a hell of a lot more than BC tickets. Plus who has flights booked eight months in advance? C'mon.

Plenty of time to move the event if that is what is going to happen. Let's get Santa Anita back running first and then we'll see if the BC stays.
Let’s see. Me. I always book well ahead. Hotel. Flights. Tickets. The whole shebang. The bc will be run at Santa Anita. It’s even a bigger lock than secretariat in the Belmont.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #60
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Let’s see. Me. I always book well ahead. Hotel. Flights. Tickets. The whole shebang. The bc will be run at Santa Anita. It’s even a bigger lock than secretariat in the Belmont.

Allan

It's definitely not a total lock.

Let's suppose there are 30 more deaths between now and October. You really think the BC wouldn't move it at some point?

I mean, it's still by far the most probable scenario that it will be run at Santa Anita. But it's no lock at all.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: