Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 AM   #16
Track Phantom

Very possible horse racing ceases in So California in the near future unless something dramatic happens. Can't run the sport without horses and it's going to be extraordinarily thin when they open the track again and that is considering they've solved the problem.

I like the fact they are trying something dramatic that isn't self-serving (as far as their product and bottom dollars are concerned). In my opinion, they forced the hands of some outfits to race elsewhere and blame the move on the condition of the track. I'm guessing we hear Doug O'Neill or Peter Miller say they are relocating to Oaklawn or New York or Kentucky and say "too many of their owners didn't want to run on the Santa Anita surface". It will smell as if the move was more to do with the medication changes.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 AM   #17
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
At the risk of being overly dramatic you love that The Stronach Group is making unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry as a whole and possibly destroy racing in California?
Are you being serious? Unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry?

Stronach actually is ahead of the curve here. Keep in mind that the liberalization of allowable medications came about when field size was the imperative. The NYRA circuit was the last hold out. And what is proposed is pretty damn similar to what existed on the NYRA circuit when I was a pup. When the overnight horses would race 20+ races a year. So this is a back to the future moment. And since simulcasting came about, we have seen ever decreasing race meets and field size anyway.

Does anyone here believe that business could go on as usual? Government take from racing is such a small part of the nationwide gambling rake that the disappearance of all racing forever would hardly be noticed by the average person.

And let's face it, if the SA problem causes anyone to really put the industry under scrutiny in terms of equine health, the data gathered would be devastating.

What I would like to know is how many horses have been injured at SA this winter. It would be really weird if that number did not exceed the number that have been euthanized.

I would like to see a cradle to grave health passport created for every registered thoroughbred, where all injuries, treatment and medication are listed.And make the database accessible to the public. And make every horse making its first career start (and first start of a layoff) be subject to a complete physical exam, including xrays of all four limbs.

Injuries will never be completely eliminated...but steps can be taken to reduce the number of starts by compromised horses, which should lower the overall injury and death rate.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #18
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post

Who is going to run horses here? I mean for real? Track surface clearly isn't right and you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

Every trainer should know whether their horse is a true bleeder or not.

There is no learning curve for knowing if your horse is a bleeder or not.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #19
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
Are you being serious? Unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry?

Stronach actually is ahead of the curve here.
Yes. I’m being serious. Lasix and the whip were not responsible for what has happened at Santa Anita. This was pandering to PETA plain and simple. The same PETA that were nowhere to be found after the fires at San Luis Rey.

TSG has been behind every step of the way. That’s what happens when you have incompetence at the top and at every level on the way down.

This situation is what happens when you fire a popular racing secretary before the meet starts. It’s what happens when you more or less force a popular super to “retire.” He retired into a different job. It’s what happens when you try and strong arm trainers to run on wet surfaces they don’t want to, to protect the jackpot pick 6.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-track-scratch

Some of the changes are a step in the right direction but you can’t have a drastic set of rules in one jurisdiction and not another that is also owned by TSG. This all but ruins racing in Southern California and will impact racing throughout the country. We need change but not like this IMO.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #20
sammy the sage

Actually this is a SLAP at the the lack of drug oversight/enforcement people that are still allowing some drugs to get into the horses of some sort...

In other words...they're saying that most of the horses that died were on a drug of some sort...and shouldn't have been out on the track...and that the track surface was NOT THAT bad....

So who believes them at this point?

A quick story/analogy...(not political as not allowed)....been sued 4 times for tripping and falling and breaking a wrist or whatever....ALL 4 cases the so-called victim WAS ON legal pain killers and probably shouldn't have even been driving....much less stumbling around....NONE went to trial/court....all settled for 1/10th what they were asking for.....so in the 19 years open....not a single person on normal conditions has tripped/fallen and hurt themselves badly enough to sue us.....by the way 3/4 people were middle aged...50's...

It's an interesting move by Stronach anyways....
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

This decision seems abrupt, and does not seem to address the issue of the unsafe track.

From afar, the unusually heavy rainfall, and the resulting track conditions (such as repetitive 'sealing' of the track) would seem like the logical major factor to start with.

I don't know enough about the issue to make any other definitive statements.

Pressure to carry-over the Rainbow Pick-6(by discouraging scratches) could be a minor factor, or it may have nothing to do with it.

Proper screening of horses allowed to work and race could be related, but it may also be a non-factor depending on the standards already in place.

I am in fact in favor of a phase-out for lasix and/or significant weight-break (15 pounds or more?) to encourage lasix-free training and racing, as a separate, but meaningful issue.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
ubercapper

My takes:
1) The response was an appropriate one given the PR in a major market.
2) There won't be a huge exodus of trainers (expense of moving, not much opportunity in the winter)
3) Where there's money, there will be racing. Owners & trainers will continue to support Ca racing because there's money to be made.

Only time will tell whether #2 & #3 above are correct.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
Hambletonian

I could definitely be off base here...but I am guessing that if nothing is changed horse racing will dwindle to nothing. The return on investment is very poor all things considered.

I am hoping for a Hong Kong style racing environment, way fewer tracks and races, with far far more accountability for owners and trainers. This will provide better racing, and better wagering opportunities.

And hopefully eliminate the miscreants.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
cutchemist42

I dont get why some are saying this doesn't address the issue? Ian Meyers and others on Twitter are saying Lasix is a masking agent for other illegal drugs that leads to breakdowns from overworking similar to MLB testing looks for masking agents all that indicate something is in the system.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Before anyone crowns Franky or makes him a saint, why is he NOT banning race day drugs at his other tracks?

What will end up happening is the REPORTING of race day drugs will end.
Lasix is essential to many trainers, and not for bleeding.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I dont get why some are saying this doesn't address the issue? Ian Meyers and others on Twitter are saying Lasix is a masking agent for other illegal drugs that leads to breakdowns from overworking similar to MLB testing looks for masking agents all that indicate something is in the system.
Because while there might be other causes than the surface, Lasix isn't directly making horses snap their legs only at Santa Anita and no other track.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #27
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Wow! I almost fell off my chair when I read the article. Hope it works!

As many here noticed, Stronach said nothing about switching back to synthetic. The Jockey Club has been doing a study for the past 10 years, called The Equine Injury Database, and they’ve never found that horses on Lasix broke down any more frequently. They have found that surface does matter.

The fatality rates associated with each racing surface were as follows:
-On turf surfaces, there were 1.36 fatalities per 1,000 starts in 2017, compared to 1.09 in 2016.
-On dirt surfaces, there were 1.74 fatalities per 1,000 starts in 2017, compared to 1.7 in 2016.
-On synthetic surfaces, the rate of fatal injuries remained stable at 1.1 fatalities per 1,000 starts.

http://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?se...=10&story=1039

Last edited by Redboard; 03-15-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #28
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
If lasix is the issue wouldn’t horses be breaking down everywhere?
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
I could definitely be off base here...but I am guessing that if nothing is changed horse racing will dwindle to nothing. The return on investment is very poor all things considered.

I am hoping for a Hong Kong style racing environment, way fewer tracks and races, with far far more accountability for owners and trainers. This will provide better racing, and better wagering opportunities.

And hopefully eliminate the miscreants.
We don't know whether the Catastrophic breakdown rate in Hong Kong is any lower than it is in N.A. They do not publish such information(you can correct me if I'm wrong). All I could find on the internet is a stat from 15 years ago here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racehorse_injuries
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Before anyone crowns Franky or makes him a saint, why is he NOT banning race day drugs at his other tracks?

What will end up happening is the REPORTING of race day drugs will end.
Lasix is essential to many trainers, and not for bleeding.
To be fair, whether one agrees or not, this has nothing to do with Frank Stronach and everything to do with Belinda Stronach.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: