Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
thespaah

Stronach Group announces ban on race day meds

Just got this in my email.
Story from Horse Racing Nation
The Stronach Group has announced a "zero tolerance" ban on race day Medication at both Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...edication_123#
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Rex Phinney

Odds that this is the end for Santa Anita?

I'm not being sarcastic.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Odds that this is the end for Santa Anita?

I'm not being sarcastic.
I really hope not but I think this is a good start to try and improve things at SA.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
dilanesp

I want this to work, both because I can't stand Lasix and because I want racing to continue at Santa Anita.

But I can't see how it can. This is like forcing all the heroin addicts in a geographical area to quit cold turkey. The more likely scenario is they will go somewhere else to get their fix.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
I really hope not but I think this is a good start to try and improve things at SA.

Santa Anita is my favorite track, by a long shot. But this is not the time for alterations to race day medication policy. The idea that in the middle of this track surface disaster these morons dreamed this up so questionable.

Who is going to run horses here? I mean for real? Track surface clearly isn't right and you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

If I'm being honest this feels like a self destructive move, noone could think this is a good idea RIGHT NOW. Perhaps at some point, but RIGHT NOW? It makes no sense.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Santa Anita is my favorite track, by a long shot. But this is not the time for alterations to race day medication policy. The idea that in the middle of this track surface disaster these morons dreamed this up so questionable.

Who is going to run horses here? I mean for real? Track surface clearly isn't right and you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

If I'm being honest this feels like a self destructive move, noone could think this is a good idea RIGHT NOW. Perhaps at some point, but RIGHT NOW? It makes no sense.
Here's a radical possibility.

Let's say that what you and I think will happen happens here. I.e., there is such a shortage of horses who can run without Lasix that fields simply do not fill and Stronach is unable to run race cards.

Doesn't that position TSG perfectly to say to the people of California "that's it, we can't conduct the sport safely here, so we will go ahead and redevelop the incredibly valuable land we hold in Arcadia and Albany"?

You might have just seen the first step of the process by which TSG pulls out of California and closes down its tracks....
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I want this to work, both because I can't stand Lasix and because I want racing to continue at Santa Anita.

But I can't see how it can. This is like forcing all the heroin addicts in a geographical area to quit cold turkey. The more likely scenario is they will go somewhere else to get their fix.
Change is a difficult thing for human beings.
We are perhaps the least adaptable to change of all earths creatures.
Anyway, this is the way it is. So the horsemen and owners will just have to adapt.
It's a good rule. I hope it sweeps the nation.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Rex Phinney

Quote:

Let's say that what you and I think will happen happens here. I.e., there is such a shortage of horses who can run without Lasix that fields simply do not fill and Stronach is unable to run race cards.

Doesn't that position TSG perfectly to say to the people of California "that's it, we can't conduct the sport safely here, so we will go ahead and redevelop the incredibly valuable land we hold in Arcadia and Albany"?

You might have just seen the first step of the process by which TSG pulls out of California and closes down its tracks....

It's exactly what I was thinking. Every bit of it.

Noone looking to keep this track running for the long term would do this.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
thespaah

Quote:
It's exactly what I was thinking. Every bit of it.

Noone looking to keep this track running for the long term would do this.
So Cal racing has been plagued by short fields for quite some time.
So instead of 5 in the entry box, there will be 4. What's the difference?
Its still not a good sign.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post

Damn, maybe I will finally hit a superfecta!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post

Agreed, and if you already have an uphill battle on the track closure, why make it harder on yourself? Right now, Santa Anita is effectively piling on themselves.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
AlsoEligible

Quote:

Sounds about right.

Of course there's also the (increasingly likely) chance that someone puts a measure on the 2020 ballot to ban racing in California, and all of it is a moot point. When that happens, I suppose the real estate value takes a hit, so TSG would be smart to get out beforehand.

Either way, after today there's no doubt in my mind that these three months have killed California racing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how it'll go down.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
cutchemist42

I love the news.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
Henry Gondorff

I’m guessing Belinda had lunch with Kathy from PETA and this was the outcome.

You would think that SA track safety would be the main issue but I guess it was just the catalyst Kathy needed to open a Pandora’s box for the industry.

Bad timing though, with the KD just weeks away what will all the MSM be talking about now?

I’m adding California Horseracing to my death pools.
Henry Gondorff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #15
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I love the news.
At the risk of being overly dramatic you love that The Stronach Group is making unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry as a whole and possibly destroy racing in California?
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: