Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #31
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
You’re wrong. Them not doing anything until the 21st horse died invited the media, PETA idiots, crazy cat ladies, etc to the open season that is horse racing.

Once it appeared on the national radar they had no choice to go into repair mode. The problem of course is they did not address the problem.

How much more damage control do you need than shutting down the track?

You don't need a press release every day on social media as a reminder that the guys running your track landed you here.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #32
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
You cannot ignore the weather conditions of the last 3 months at Santa Anita. It is without a doubt the most likely cause of the issues. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining with this other stuff unless it can be proven.
The surface is part to blame. To ignore connections and vets are allowing unsound horses to go to the track is shortsighted and EXACTLY what the intelligista at Stronach did. They finally smartened up but overreacted.

Hot mess all around
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #33
dilanesp

Quote:
Once Santa Anita shut down the track for testing they owed nothing to anyone on the animal rights/ media side.

If this were true, than the public owes horse racing nothing either and should just put us out of business.

Seriously, we freaking owe EVERYTHING to the animal rights / media side. EVERYTHING. If we are killing horses without justification, they should shut us down.

It is absolutely the responsibility of everyone in this industry to stop the needless carnage. That is not some unreasonable expectation that the media and animal rights people have. That is the absolute minimum.

If we can't do it because handicappers don't want to lose their precious dirt surface and track officials can't shut down for a day because of a muddy track and horsemen can't mange to get their horses to run without being filled up with dope, that's OUR problem. Not the animal rights people and not the media.

WE, the people who participate in this sport, have to solve this. If we don't, the solution eventually imposed by the political process will not be one that we like.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #34
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
How much more damage control do you need than shutting down the track?

You don't need a press release every day on social media as a reminder that the guys running your track landed you here.
Dude the story was on national morning shows. It’s EVERYWHERE. Shutting the track down was too late. 21 fatalities is a lot in such a short period of time. They have made the wrong decision every step of the way.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
You cannot ignore the weather conditions of the last 3 months at Santa Anita. It is without a doubt the most likely cause of the issues. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining with this other stuff unless it can be proven.

We've had many, many rainy seasons in Southern California since Christmas 1934 when Santa Anita first opened. This didn't happen in any of them.

The differences are (1) they didn't used to scrape and seal the track to rush it back to fast as quickly as possible so they could fill races; and (2) the horses weren't as doped up and bred as fragile then as they are now.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #36
Rex Phinney

You're assuming I think these changes are a bad idea permanently. I don't. The issue is the timing of this.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #37
castaway01

I've read the various opinions on the possible cause of the breakdowns. I thought it was the surface, maybe it's a variety of things. But making this change now before the problem is solved---and if the answer is that it can't be solved, racing is done there and it won't matter what the med policy is---doesn't make any sense. It's like saying there's a problem with corked bats and then banning batting practice. Let's get the surface safe to run on first (and again, I'm still saying that's the most likely cause as long as Santa Anita is experiencing the breakdowns and the whole industry isn't) and then make other wholesale changes.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #38
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Dude the story was on national morning shows. It’s EVERYWHERE. Shutting the track down was too late. 21 fatalities is a lot in such a short period of time. They have made the wrong decision every step of the way.

They have made the wrong decision every step of the way and they are making it worse every day. I don't know why anyone would think it is a good idea to rehash the track shortcoming on a daily basis by their own free will.

Like I said, shut it down, get to work fixing it, and step out publicly when you have something to report.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:
They have made the wrong decision every step of the way and they are making it worse every day. I don't know why anyone would think it is a good idea to rehash the track shortcoming on a daily basis by their own free will.

Like I said, shut it down, get to work fixing it, and step out publicly when you have something to report.

One other reason they have to do this in public is because they have something like 1,000 horses on the grounds and those horsemen, reasonably, need to have day to day updates on the situation.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #40
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I've read the various opinions on the possible cause of the breakdowns. I thought it was the surface, maybe it's a variety of things. But making this change now before the problem is solved---and if the answer is that it can't be solved, racing is done there and it won't matter what the med policy is---doesn't make any sense. It's like saying there's a problem with corked bats and then banning batting practice. Let's get the surface safe to run on first (and again, I'm still saying that's the most likely cause as long as Santa Anita is experiencing the breakdowns and the whole industry isn't) and then make other wholesale changes.

BINGO
Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #41
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
One other reason they have to do this in public is because they have something like 1,000 horses on the grounds and those horsemen, reasonably, need to have day to day updates on the situation.

I don't disagree, schedule a meeting every morning of every day with the horsemen. Done.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #42
rubicon55

SA UPDATE

https://www.apnews.com/4ed0b10fd10e4e86b98ff0d97bfac44a
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon55 View Post

Here's a quote from that article that shows why Santa Anita can't do this quietly:

Quote:
Trainer and owner David Bernstein said the 3-year-old named Princess Lili B broke down just past the finish line after a half-mile workout. KTTV-TV was at the track and captured video of the breakdown.

KTTV is the Fox affiliate, Channel 11, here in Southern California. Basically, a local news outlet was sending its cameras out to Santa Anita every day to film the workouts, in case something happened.

This is the amount of the sunlight that is directed to Santa Anita right now.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #44
mountainman

Quote:
to ignore that connections and vets are allowing unsound horses to go to the track is shortsighted.
This.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #45
mountainman

PLEASE!!! No carpet fiber and superball bits...I am begging.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: