Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
Irishfever

Another training fatality today.
Irishfever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #17
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

They may lose the entire meet!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
They may lose the entire meet!
And Santa Anita needs to lose it if they keep saying the track is safe but horses keep dying. At this rate, there would be 50 dead horses by the end of the meet.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

They might as well throw in the towel and announce a new track install

Last edited by JustRalph; 03-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hopefully this gets picked and blasted out there by the MSM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
Rex Phinney

WTF is Santa Anita doing? Even though this is my favorite track, I have to say these guys looked like a bunch of sideshow clowns right now.

Not just the obviously poor condition of the track but they way the track officials seem to be running a narrative that this is the horseman's fault. First the changes to training registration and timed workouts and now the changes to the race day medication stuff.

Are these guys seriously spending time hashing out raceday medication rules while the track surface is obviously wrecked? It sort of seems like anyone with half a brain would be solely focused on the track surface 24/7 right now.

What a bunch of dumbshits. And these daily press releases that they keep running to remind everyone that the track is shut down because horses kept dying there is just one more WTF move. Like guys, fix your shit, quietly, and then let's go racing.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
WTF is Santa Anita doing? Even though this is my favorite track, I have to say these guys looked like a bunch of sideshow clowns right now.

Not just the obviously poor condition of the track but they way the track officials seem to be running a narrative that this is the horseman's fault. First the changes to training registration and timed workouts and now the changes to the race day medication stuff.

Are these guys seriously spending time hashing out raceday medication rules while the track surface is obviously wrecked? It sort of seems like anyone with half a brain would be solely focused on the track surface 24/7 right now.

What a bunch of dumbshits. And these daily press releases that they keep running to remind everyone that the track is shut down because horses kept dying there is just one more WTF move. Like guys, fix your shit, quietly, and then let's go racing.

1. Of course you are right that they are shifting blame. They took out the synthetic track, they scraped and sealed it over and over again, etc. That's what big corporations do-- shift blame, if they can.

2. Having said that, the probability that this issue has nothing at all to do with actions of horsemen is close to zero.

3. Once the media decided this was a story, there was no "fix your shit, quietly" option anymore. Local news, which NEVER covers horse racing, was out doing live stand-ups at Santa Anita once the horses started dying. Local TV stations were tweeting about it. They weren't going to go "OK, we'll just leave you alone and let you figure this out and quietly restart racing". No way. This was now a big story, and what Santa Anita does or doesn't do is a big story too.

Santa Anita is operating in the following environment:

a. There is a TON of sympathy for animal rights in California. Indeed, there are probably far more members of animal rights organizations in the state than there are regular horseplayers.

b. The media, perhaps from ignorance of the sport and perhaps from what folks have been telling them, have concluded that Santa Anita has a significant safety problem, and are demanding answers and fixes.

c. The horsemen and perhaps some gamblers are doing what they always do in these situations, which is acting like the Mayor in "Jaws" who cares about nothing but keeping the beaches open and really doesn't care if any of the vacationers get eaten by sharks.

You try and operate in that environment and be absolutely sure-footed. Especially given they haven't even isolated the causes of the breakdowns.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #24
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:

I think you’re wrong to think it’s the surface and not the horsemen and vets. Both are to blame but jockeys that have ridden the surface the last two days think it is fine. They do not think the horses working it are though.

It’s too late to fix this situation quietly but what Belinda did today could be detrimental for the entire industry. Stronach and the morons running their organization are not a friend of the industry.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I agree this total race day med ban was a complete and total overreaction that will do nothing except kill their field sizes further...if they ever race again.

This has to be an industry-wide thing...or a phased in thing...
Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #26
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I agree this total race day med ban was a complete and total overreaction that will do nothing except kill their field sizes further...if they ever race again.

Feels like putting a band aid on a knife wound.

Whoever does PR for Stronach should never work again.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #27
Rex Phinney

Once Santa Anita shut down the track for testing they owed nothing to anyone on the animal rights/ media side. They should have went into fix it and STFU mode. Shutting down was an unprecedented move that already showed everyone that they were putting horse welfare above profits. They should have left it at that until they were ready to reveal results of testing or reopen the track.

What they have done since closing the track is a PR nightmare, they look like a bunch of amateurs. This move today will do nothing but drive horsemen away, and you know that is true.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #28
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

It may be a huge overstep but it must start somewhere. I completely agree it has to be an industry-wide step but I do not know where to start.

I have followed horse racing for over 40 years and believe that the thoroughbreds are now weaker physically. I do not have any answers to why but I believe the "over use" of Lasix has been a contributing factor as well as other medications.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #29
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Once Santa Anita shut down the track for testing they owed nothing to anyone on the animal rights/ media side. They should have went into fix it and STFU mode. Shutting down was an unprecedented move that already showed everyone that they were putting horse welfare above profits. They should have left it at that until they were ready to reveal results of testing or reopen the track.

What they have done since closing the track is a PR nightmare, they look like a bunch of amateurs. This move today will do nothing but drive horsemen away, and you know that is true.
You’re wrong. Them not doing anything until the 21st horse died invited the media, PETA idiots, crazy cat ladies, etc to the open season that is horse racing.

Once it appeared on the national radar they had no choice to go into repair mode. The problem of course is they did not address the problem.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #30
Rex Phinney

You cannot ignore the weather conditions of the last 3 months at Santa Anita. It is without a doubt the most likely cause of the issues. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining with this other stuff unless it can be proven.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: