Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #166
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
clockers can barely keep up with the works. I've mentioned this a very long time ago but if you really knew how many of the published works are absolute guesses you'd put next to no faith in published works. Especially right after the break. No way they can clock a dozen horses busting out within a couple minutes of each other.
Depends on the clocker(s), and how many they have.

Once you have some experience, you'll usually have 2-3 watches going, and with splits can keep at least two horses on each one without too much difficulty. Assuming there is more than one clocker on the crew, you'd be surprised at how many can be covered at once. It becomes a dance in the room with people clicking on and off horses based on who takes which one.

I learned from an old-school guy at Ak-Sar-Ben. He was amazing, and was still using mechanical stopwatches. One in each hand and two on the table in front of him. I had a hard time keeping up just writing the tab.

As for having faith in the published workouts, that's another story. Unless you know how good the clocker really is, or are watching/timing yourself, you'll never really know how accurate they are.
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #167
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbowker View Post
Depends on the clocker(s), and how many they have.

Once you have some experience, you'll usually have 2-3 watches going, and with splits can keep at least two horses on each one without too much difficulty. Assuming there is more than one clocker on the crew, you'd be surprised at how many can be covered at once. It becomes a dance in the room with people clicking on and off horses based on who takes which one.

I learned from an old-school guy at Ak-Sar-Ben. He was amazing, and was still using mechanical stopwatches. One in each hand and two on the table in front of him. I had a hard time keeping up just writing the tab.

As for having faith in the published workouts, that's another story. Unless you know how good the clocker really is, or are watching/timing yourself, you'll never really know how accurate they are.
I used to get a chuckle standing next to the guy who takes the names of the horses working at the gap gate. Clocker would radio down the time to him stating "that looked like about 38.2" lol. Or you'd tell the jock to breeze the horse in 38, you catch it at really close to 38 on your watch and the work comes down as 35 lol. It was all over the map.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #168
Hedevar

Santa Anita's breakdowns look eerily similar to the spate of breakdowns at
AP some 25 years ago, Sometimes they would have more than 1 breakdown in a race. The fans were treated to a horse just dropping dead on the track in full view of the stands because the track only had 1 horse ambulance.

It was the track that was the cause of the breakdowns.

AP eventually went to an artificial track and combined with the miniscule purses
now has the worst racing in the country.

Thanks Dick!

Last edited by Hedevar; 03-29-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #169
spiketoo

I'm sure the PR dept is on-call for the next breakdown. I sincerely hope it's not for awhile.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #170
spiketoo

Gawd Belinda is a waste of oxygen....

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/...328-story.html

There are people who say there is no direct link between Lasix use or the riding crop and breakdowns. So how do you sell those as needing to be fixed now?

I appreciate those that spoke about the positives of Lasix. I’m sympathetic to everyone who has a vested interest in the sport. But we looked at short term, what is the low-hanging fruit that we know we’ve got to do? And we looked at some of the other issues we have to do, and the crop being one that we are very sensitive to because our public demands it.

Yeah, well the public here has demanded lower takeout but I guess we need to do it in the national spotlight eh?

What did this stoppage cost you?

I don’t think we’ve stopped enough to think what it cost. The cost of not doing this would have been greater than the cost of not moving forward. If we didn’t do this, there is a real possibility that this industry wouldn’t be around for future generations. But, certainly, it cost us in the millions.

Wow if you're a CEO and admit to not knowing how much a three week plus closing of your business is costing you, perhaps you should be replaced.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #171
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
What did this stoppage cost you?

I don’t think we’ve stopped enough to think what it cost. The cost of not doing this would have been greater than the cost of not moving forward. If we didn’t do this, there is a real possibility that this industry wouldn’t be around for future generations. But, certainly, it cost us in the millions.

Wow if you're a CEO and admit to not knowing how much a three week plus closing of your business is costing you, perhaps you should be replaced.
I suspect it was a political answer. She's basically saying, "we put safety first; short-term financial performance is secondary." Feel free to believe or not believe - that's a different matter.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #172
spiketoo

The majority of her answers are political and I'm feeling free not to believe her. Her short\long term financial future is dependent upon how she 'responds' to whatever 'safety' issues may or may not be present and her implying she's not fully attuned to such is disingenuous at best.

IMHO she's done herself no favors here other than damage control and frankly I'm not sure she's really garnered much from it. Best I can tell the national attention subsided just a tad after the second week or so of the shutdown. Now we'll see what happens after they start racing again.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #173
AlsoEligible

She's the CEO of a billion dollar company that's under national scrutiny. I'm not sure what any of us should expect from media interviews besides political answers and attempting damage control. It's a puff piece, that's what CEOs do.

The real question will be, what happens if another horse breaks down this weekend. TSG has doubled down on the claim that the surface is fine. They won't be able to blame drugs, since that ban is in effect. The only scapegoat left would be the whip, which no one is going to buy. So what do they do? I don't see a lot of options other than shrugging and saying "shit happens", which will go over like a lead balloon.

I think there will be a lot of nervous executives in Arcadia over the next 72 hours. But if they can make it through the next few days unscathed, then public attention will probably fade away to the point where an occasional breakdown after that won't be noticed.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #174
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

First race over without any incidents, although there were four late scratches including the odds-on, probably wanted to make sure.

Funny that the TVG announcer (I don't know his name, I rarely watch with sound on) said that he personally has been training there the last few months and that the track is the best, as long as there isn't constant rain and sealing.

But we've been lead to believe that there's nothing wrong with the track during this time, in spite of the rain/sealing. The experts have assured us.

And you know that next year at this time SA will be saying that it was all that damn rain/sealing we had last year.

Last edited by Redboard; 03-29-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #175
cutchemist42

So interesting Twitter thread was asking what happens on the next breakdown? Theres guaranteed to be another one, just how long will media keep an eye on it before they move on?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #176
taxicab

The various responses seem about right:

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...those-present/
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #177
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
They need to start running one turn 5 furlong races, like Gulfstream. That 6 1/2 downhill has a dirt track obstacle crossing that many horses do not seem to like.
2 races today had issues with horses crossing the dirt gap on the downhill course.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #178
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
2 races today had issues with horses crossing the dirt gap on the downhill course.
Not exactly. Arms Runner took a bad step. The horse in the 8th clipped heels when a horse cut in front of her.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #179
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
2003 comes to mind

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ta-anita-spill

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ng-injury-case

Last edited by AstrosFan; 03-31-2019 at 08:57 PM.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #180
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
I've bet horses that tried to jump the dirt on the downhill course. It's not surprising that a horse was injured at the crossing. How does a horse squat at 35 mph? Mine did while leading and lost badly.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: