Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Did You Have a Winning year in 2018?
I had a winning year in 2018 48 22.54%
I came close to breaking even in 2018 29 13.62%
I had a losing year in 2018 115 53.99%
I don't want to know how I did in 2018 / I don't keep records 21 9.86%
Voters: 213. This poll is closed

Old 02-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
biggestal99

won money betting the exchange

lost money at the BC.

Lots of withdrawals from the exchange, very few deposits

but the BC was loser.

Overall I made money but it would have been better if I just didnt bet the BC

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #17
Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Anyway, How did you actually do in 2018?
Not that anyone (other than my wife) really cares, but I’m doing quite well.
Thank you.
I’m not betting at the syndicate level (yet), but my systematic winning profit margins at HK have been consistently surpassing Mr. Benter’s for quite a while now. As my confidence level grows so does my wagering level.
I’m looking forward to another big year in 2019.
GL to all!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
mountainman

No. While I destroyed Mahoning in 2016 and 2017, treating it like my personal ATM, they pounded me last season. This season, I've wagered more judiciously, cut my units, searched harder for value, and clearly regained the upper hand.

btw..For my purposes, the "gambling year" runs concurrent to the MVR meet.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

it's funny how money moves different speeds in different directions...

example -
1. I deposit $100 on Sun to ADW... $$ available instantaneously
2. win $200 (now i have $300)
3. Immediately select withdraw (only $200 allowed because the $100 has to clear bank)
4. Wait until TUESDAY to receive that $200 in my BANK[2 bus days?]
5. Meanwhile win $50 on the $100 locked in the ADW (total now $150)
6. Check on Tuesday but can only withdraw additional won monies ($50 available for withdraw) beyond that original $100 deposit[3 business days???] ...
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
it's funny how money moves different speeds in different directions...

example -
1. I deposit $100 on Sun to ADW... $$ available instantaneously
2. win $200 (now i have $300)
3. Immediately select withdraw (only $200 allowed because the $100 has to clear bank)
4. Wait until TUESDAY to receive that $200 in my BANK[2 bus days?]
5. Meanwhile win $50 on the $100 locked in the ADW (total now $150)
6. Check on Tuesday but can only withdraw additional won monies ($50 available for withdraw) beyond that original $100 deposit[3 business days???] ...

You could, in theory, deposit funds you can't cover.

Funny, they would allow you to wager with money you don't have, but keep money you do have against said deposit.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
thaskalos

Back in the internet poker days, the poker sites would delay your withdrawal by several days, but the money remained in your account and was available for you to use...in case you later changed your mind and decided to cancel your withdrawal. Many of the poker players would get frustrated by a painful bad beat and would immediately ask for a withdrawal of their funds out of disgust...but, given a little time, the aggravation would wear off...and the player would look to get back into the action. But these ADWs remove the money from your account so you can't use it...and then take several days to deposit it into your account. It's as if they are punishing you for withdrawing the money.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Back in the internet poker days, the poker sites would delay your withdrawal by several days, but the money remained in your account and was available for you to use...in case you later changed your mind and decided to cancel your withdrawal. Many of the poker players would get frustrated by a painful bad beat and would immediately ask for a withdrawal of their funds out of disgust...but, given a little time, the aggravation would wear off...and the player would look to get back into the action. But these ADWs remove the money from your account so you can't use it...and then take several days to deposit it into your account. It's as if they are punishing you for withdrawing the money.
That's cruel to allow poker players to 'renege' on their withdrawal...

Where does that money in limbo 'go'?? ... does anyone earn interest off of those monies for that day or 3??

Sometimes it feels like my ADW and Bank are conspiring against me to get to the weekend to screw me for TWO MORE days

My drug dealer only takes cash, c'mon!!

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-26-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
v j stauffer

I played a lot less brick & mortar tournaments. Did have a good 2nd in one at Santa Anita which made my overall tournament play end up in the plus.

Started playing almost nothing but Head 2 Head tourneys on HorseTourneys. That went very well. Even better had I not played Thask.

Pari-mutuels were clearly in the plus.

It can be done people. But as I'm sure you know it takes a CRAZY amount of work. Literal man hours.

When I break it down that way. I probably made $1.86 an hour.

Wow. So glamorous to make money as a horse player.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I played a lot less brick & mortar tournaments. Did have a good 2nd in one at Santa Anita which made my overall tournament play end up in the plus.

Started playing almost nothing but Head 2 Head tourneys on HorseTourneys. That went very well. Even better had I not played Thask.

Pari-mutuels were clearly in the plus.

It can be done people. But as I'm sure you know it takes a CRAZY amount of work. Literal man hours.

When I break it down that way. I probably made $1.86 an hour.

Wow. So glamorous to make money as a horse player.

Yep. Winning poker players find the same thing. When you actually count not only the hours playing and going to and from cardrooms, but also all the prep work, math, simulators, and everything else that the modern poker player has to do, the winrate shrinks a lot.

It's a hard way to make an easy living.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Yep. Winning poker players find the same thing. When you actually count not only the hours playing and going to and from cardrooms, but also all the prep work, math, simulators, and everything else that the modern poker player has to do, the winrate shrinks a lot.

It's a hard way to make an easy living.
Anybody who thinks winning money as a horse player is fun and glamorous has never won money as a horse player.

There MUST be easier ways to make money. I'm just not smart enough to implement them.

And remember, absent a huge score in a Rainbow 6 or something like that. If you're a WPS/EX grinder like me there's a finite amount of $$$ you can make.

Obviously doesn't work, if things start to go well, to simply bet 10 times as much.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #26
thaskalos

What I didn't consider when I first started out in the game was that, the thing that first attracted me as a player may also be the very thing that ultimately leads to my financial demise. I loved the thought of making money while betting the horses from home in my underwear. How was I to know that, if you bet horses long enough...the underwear will eventually become the only remaining part of your attire?
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Losing year for me. Made some boneheaded mistakes along the way. Biggest was taking whatever the suggested bet amount was (as long as it was > 0) and raising it to the track minimum. For tris and supers, this proved to be disastrous. If I determined there were 100 positive edge superfecta tickets in a race, but the suggested bet sizes were all small e.g. a penny, I raised them all to the minimum. Results in over betting by 9,900% .

Living and learning...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Losing year for me. Made some boneheaded mistakes along the way. Biggest was taking whatever the suggested bet amount was (as long as it was > 0) and raising it to the track minimum. For tris and supers, this proved to be disastrous. If I determined there were 100 positive edge superfecta tickets in a race, but the suggested bet sizes were all small e.g. a penny, I raised them all to the minimum. Results in over betting by 9,900% .

Living and learning...
Is it possible to wager on a scale BELOW the track minimum?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #29
SG4

I lost money on my bets this year, but made money overall with rebates factored in. I honestly don't know if that makes me a winning or losing bettor for 2018. Definitely felt like the latter with this being my first negative ROI year in quite awhile.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #30
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Is it possible to wager on a scale BELOW the track minimum?
No. At least not that I know of. I think the lesson learned, personally, was that if you're using a fractional betting method, don't place the bet unless it's more than the track minimum. My bankroll just wasn't large enough to play $1 superfectas is the moral of the story lol.

It obviously seems like a simple thing in hindsight. I suppose I was looking at it like any positive expectation bet should be bet on. But, it definitely turned out to be a case study in over betting relative to one's bankroll.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: