Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Did You Have a Winning year in 2018?
I had a winning year in 2018 48 22.54%
I came close to breaking even in 2018 29 13.62%
I had a losing year in 2018 115 53.99%
I don't want to know how I did in 2018 / I don't keep records 21 9.86%
Voters: 213. This poll is closed

Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Did You Have a Winning Year in 2018?

It's that time again to stare in the mirror and fess up, asking yourself, "How did I do in 2018?" Personally, I could do no wrong, having one of my best years through Tourneys specifically, ending with a robust winning year. I again took 4 week long breaks, to recharge my batteries and travel with my wife, who is my life. Anyway, How did you actually do in 2018?

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 02-25-2019 at 02:51 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
It's that time again to stare in the mirror and fess up, asking yourself, "How did I do in 2018?" Personally, I could do no wrong, having one of my best years through Tourneys specifically, ending with a robust winning year. I again took 4 week long breaks, to recharge my batteries and travel with my wife, who is my life. Anyway, How did you actually do in 2018?
I lost on horse racing. Like 96 percent or more of the betting public.

Congratulations Randall.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Thanks Dilan.....Better racing luck in 2019.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
thaskalos

I don't know how I did betting horses in 2018. A dog ran away with my record book.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I don't know how I did betting horses in 2018. A dog ran away with my record book.
Then check with your Bookies....I'm sure they have the exact total....you still owe...
Old 02-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

2018 was a brutal year outside of racing.

Racing was not 'great' per se (6%ROI before rebates), but I started the year betting very small and scarce, and was not embracing the game.

Instead of saying "this is what your daddy taught you, you have some rare natural talent and an equally rare path of 'nurture' to reaching this point, you are one of maybe ten in the world fit to sit at this 'table' thus you have 'value', you have five-to-ten years of half-decent health left on this planet, time to capitalize and land an agent and some clients, etc.. etc..." I was more like "I think my family and/or total strangers may respect me more if I were a 'Database Administrator', I think I'll ignore the fact that I'm an expert in the horse racing industry, and instead focus 100% of my energy on getting a mediocre community college degree through a rehabilitative services program for the disabled, yadda, yadda, yadda...".

So now I'm healthy enough to walk the dog, for the first consistent stretch since 2017. I just turned 40 this month. Going to be a lot of fun. As far as actually betting I was able get hot a couple times at Saratoga, but the highlight was to finish the year while really working out the kinks of angle that I had previously only done in a thought experiment. It's a little funny, because I had misremembered some the existing searchable info on the topic. I thought that it had been layed out and defined in clear terms, by a previous active member of this very own board, but it hadn't, and my angle was actually me having (correctly) built in a direction from something that didn't quite happen the way I remembered it.

Having more fun than ever. And learning. I actually LEARNED something the other day. Friend whom I would never hold a technical horse racing discussion with, but I was open-minded, and her observation was simply brilliant. Just a nugget of common sense that, provided it has a bunch of particularly suited models moving in the same direction; is yet another fruitful angle.

Abundance of wealth in this game. Abundance. Results and money does not matter to me. Instead of excitement and fear and dopamine-release in a results-oriented manner, what I am getting is a process-oriented satisfaction.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
2018 was a brutal year outside of racing.

Racing was not 'great' per se (6%ROI before rebates), but I started the year betting very small and scarce, and was not embracing the game.

Instead of saying "this is what your daddy taught you, you have some rare natural talent and an equally rare path of 'nurture' to reaching this point, you are one of maybe ten in the world fit to sit at this 'table' thus you have 'value', you have five-to-ten years of half-decent health left on this planet, time to capitalize and land an agent and some clients, etc.. etc..." I was more like "I think my family and/or total strangers may respect me more if I were a 'Database Administrator', I think I'll ignore the fact that I'm an expert in the horse racing industry, and instead focus 100% of my energy on getting a mediocre community college degree through a rehabilitative services program for the disabled, yadda, yadda, yadda...".

So now I'm healthy enough to walk the dog, for the first consistent stretch since 2017. I just turned 40 this month. Going to be a lot of fun. As far as actually betting I was able get hot a couple times at Saratoga, but the highlight was to finish the year while really working out the kinks of angle that I had previously only done in a thought experiment. It's a little funny, because I had misremembered some the existing searchable info on the topic. I thought that it had been layed out and defined in clear terms, by a previous active member of this very own board, but it hadn't, and my angle was actually me having (correctly) built in a direction from something that didn't quite happen the way I remembered it.

Having more fun than ever. And learning. I actually LEARNED something the other day. Friend whom I would never hold a technical horse racing discussion with, but I was open-minded, and her observation was simply brilliant. Just a nugget of common sense that, provided it has a bunch of particularly suited models moving in the same direction; is yet another fruitful angle.

Abundance of wealth in this game. Abundance. Results and money does not matter to me. Instead of excitement and fear and dopamine-release in a results-oriented manner, what I am getting is a process-oriented satisfaction.
Best of luck to you going forward, Robert...and I hope you have at least 60 more years of "decent health" left on this planet.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Best of luck to you going forward, Robert...and I hope you have at least 60 more years of "decent health" left on this planet.
Thanks. I hope so too.

It's not a 'sad' thing(and the misconception as such, is yet another reason to never mention it publicly), it's just what I see as realistic. Realistic 'guessing' based on an understanding and acceptance of life-span factors, and moving forward to enjoy it. If things are going well in health and/or life, I could be around a LONG time... You never know with complete certainty... Horse racing teaches that lack of 'certainty', if nothing else (and it teaches a lot if you let it).

Thaskalos, you've always been one of my fav posters man LOL

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-25-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
wisconsin

Had a losing year, but my handle has gone down considerably, due to work, new grand kids, and other constraints.

Once a recurring Twin Spires Gold Member, was downgraded to Silver last year and only a Bronze Member this year. Not even worthy of a Preferred Parking pass from Arlington anymore. Just don't play enough to be consistent, and feel out of touch with the horses right now.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

I did win but not by much. LOL

I made one withdrawal all year... Under $1,000.

(No deposits.)
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
the little guy

I cashed every bet I made this year. Won millions....and I never took a break.

The usual.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

The usual.
Outstanding!
Such an easy game, when you think about it.
to get that moron elected. They are ruthless bastards.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

The usual.
You and Randall must have constantly bumped into each other while cashing tickets (yeah I know "tickets" but bear with me), at least if he was playing at NYRA tracks between his world traveling and winning tournaments.

Next year you'll improve enough to travel the world too. I have faith in you Andy.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Next year you'll improve enough to travel the world too. I have faith in you Andy.
Yeah, yeah, funny stuff there Casty…..The question is "How did YOU do in 2018"?
Old 02-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
GMB@BP

lost betting pari mutual, won money in tourneys

in the end the entertainment ratio to dollar spent was pretty good.

I did however withdraw most of my money from my accounts, I think I am mostly done betting/handicapping.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: