Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
mountainman

At mnr, I've seen huge days actually backfire on jocks. The top riders clear considerably more money than the vast majority of trainers, which I suspect sparks resentment from horsemen. And in a somewhat cloistered backstretch community, certain agents maintain such inexplicably strong grips on certain horsemen, that, quite the opposite of jumping on a hot jock's bandwagon, lots of trainers behave like devoted spouses whose every word and mannerism sends the standoffish signal: "Get lost. I'm spoken for."

In fact, I could name several riders whose business clearly DECREASED in the immediate aftermath of a dominant day.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-20-2019 at 10:43 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #17
sour grapes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
At mnr, I've seen huge days actually backfire on jocks. The top riders clear considerably more money than the vast majority of trainers, which I suspect sparks resentment from horsemen. And in a somewhat cloistered backstretch community, certain agents maintain such inexplicably strong grips on certain horsemen, that, quite the opposite of jumping on a hot jock's bandwagon, lots of trainers behave like devoted spouses whose every word and mannerism sends the standoffish signal: "Get lost. I'm spoken for."

In fact, I could name several riders whose business clearly DECREASED in the immediate aftermath of a dominant day.
why would business decrease?maybe the riders dont want to ride mules in west virginia but at bigger tracks those jocks would be in high demand.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
why would business decrease?maybe the riders dont want to ride mules in west virginia but at bigger tracks those jocks would be in high demand.
And to think, I was actually skeptical of reputation points......

Last edited by mountainman; 02-22-2019 at 11:05 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
And to think, I was actually skeptical of reputation points......
There you go! See, a convert!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Irad misjudged the finish at FG today, really bad look. He has ridden there before and it was a 6f race, not the alternate finish line they use at times.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Irad misjudged the finish at FG today, really bad look. He has ridden there before and it was a 6f race, not the alternate finish line they use at times.
Do you think it mattered in the outcome? It looked bad but I’m wondering if the result would’ve been the same regardless.

I imagine the Irad haters are having a field day on twitter.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
Do you think it mattered in the outcome? It looked bad but I’m wondering if the result would’ve been the same regardless.

I imagine the Irad haters are having a field day on twitter.
It might have. I'm not going to crucify a guy for making a mistake, but he should be suspended and probably fined too.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #23
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It might have. I'm not going to crucify a guy for making a mistake, but he should be suspended and probably fined too.
it also forces them to look at all the betting patterns a little closer, not that I think there is any of that but they need to due their due diligence.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
it also forces them to look at all the betting patterns a little closer, not that I think there is any of that but they need to due their due diligence.
$500 fine is the result. #HorseRacing
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
acorn54

as far as to the talents of a jock, the consensus is that even a talented jock can not consistently outperform the better ability horses in a horse race.
i worked for a trainer for a short time on the back stretch, as a hot walker, and i remember him saying to a hot bug boy that lost his app. weight allowance, he wasn't getting good mounts anymore because he lost his "bug".
acorn54 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: