Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #106
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
I thought I saw Fadlovich at Sam Houston over the winter, but I could be wrong.

Not a great business decision by Fadlovich IMO. As of today she is 0 for 41 with 2 2nds and 3 3rds.

RR
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #107
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfeyejoe View Post
Thanks for this advice, Mountainman. Wednesday's card was favoring early speed in the first several races, but I included a couple horses with strong late pace figures in my late pick 3 play. Specifically, Coney Island Kid had the best late pace fig according to Brisnet and he delivered at 40-1.
My $1 pick 3 play returned $2,550 and would have been a couple hundred dollars higher if there hadn't been a late scratch at the gate.
Tx, dude. And congrats on some fine handicapping.

Kudos, btw, to J Rodriguez for wiring the 2nd despite the left rein snapping early. Unreal guts and balance.

Kudos also to steward Lori Dinoto, a former member of my crew at Mnr, for catching it instantly and radioing the outrider to be ready to grab the filly right after the wire.

And a tip of the hat to announcer Matt Hook, for professional grade and imaginative selections in his secondary role as track analyst. Matt also works as Rosario's agent, btw, and I do suspect bends over backwards now and then to pick his clients on top, and thus keep peace in the family and his morning income flowing.

Btw, I finally took my hardest stance against Angle of Attack, a short favorite (yesterday) that I've considered HIGHLY suspect for various reasons. And the way my play got nailed, and the illogical horse that nailed him, has made it hard to maintain my poise. But I have managed to.

Disturbing signs of intelligent life seen in two or three of today's late tote-corrections.

I will soon update my bias notes here.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #108
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
that is so true and great advice.
hope all is well, pal.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #109
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Hey Mountainman,

I have noticed over the years an interesting phenomenon at the Mountain and MVR.

I do not want to mention names of some of the lesser talented jocks on both circuits. We both know who they are.

Why do some of the conditioners continually use the worst jocks. Even when one comes off, they are replaced by another weak riding jock, even though there are better ones available.

Is it just a hobby for some of these owners or trainers and they simply want to give some rarely used and rarely winning riders a break?

Thoughts?
Comradery amongst losers....commitments to the lesser jocks who get their horses out in the morning...an arrogant desire to be benefactor and mentor to young, or low-ranked riders...resentment toward the "power" agents they believe have spurned them.....fear of getting "handled" (a euphemistic and catch-all racetrack term for getting stiffed, having your horse claimed, having a high-ranked jock take off the horse to be left hanging..etc..etc...)
Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #110
turfeyejoe

The "will pays" after race 7 showed the pick 3 with Regina George was worth $2,770. So the late scratch cost me $220. I was also live to 2-Sherz Zippy and I was rooting hard for her and her $3,996 payoff.

Last edited by turfeyejoe; 03-06-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: wrong quote
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #111
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Some fine day I will write about Mr Moyers' singular impact on thoroughbred racing.
One year suspension and 1k fine for sending a horse to the paddock with an ugly, seeping wound. Even more ominous, now a MANAGEMENT EXCLUSION at Tdn, with Mvr likely to follow suit.

Just desserts to the most destructive force in the history of this racing region. COUNTLESS sharp and productive thoroughbreds taken tragic hostage through the claim box and deconstructed into perpetual trailers with no purpose, no money bet on them, and no future WHATSOEVER.

A man whose unpardonable sins against the sport have left deep, permanent stains and brought shame to his "profession."

It is my fervent hope that he is never permitted to claim and ruin another racehorse.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-23-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #112
Thomas Roulston

But doesn't just about every track rule "perpetual trailers" off with rules like "Stall space will not be given, nor entries accepted, to any horse which: 1) Has started for a claiming price of $5,000 or less and since starting for $5,000 or less has not finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in its last 10 starts, all inclusive; or 2) Has started for less than $4,000, and has not won for $4,000 or more since last starting for less than $4,000; or 3) Is a maiden which has started for less than $8,000 until winning"?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #113
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
But doesn't just about every track rule "perpetual trailers" off with rules like "Stall space will not be given, nor entries accepted, to any horse which: 1) Has started for a claiming price of $5,000 or less and since starting for $5,000 or less has not finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in its last 10 starts, all inclusive; or 2) Has started for less than $4,000, and has not won for $4,000 or more since last starting for less than $4,000; or 3) Is a maiden which has started for less than $8,000 until winning"?
Such policies, in Moyer's case, barely scratch the surface, treating the symptoms instead of the root problem. And as history has WELL established, when the performance(s) of a Moyer's runner drops below even HIS "standards," the man simply claims (and ruins) five more in its stead.

In general, the sort of "eligibility" requirements you refer to are EXTREMELY tolerant of hopeless horses, almost IMPOSSIBLE to run afoul of, and banish such a small percentage as to be almost completely ineffective.

It's like purporting to clean up Chicago by incarcerating one murderer per month.

With some 30 years experience as a racing official, sir, I can speak with some authority on this topic.

Tx for the response.

Btw, believe it or not, I like Moyers, consider him a gentleman, and respect his considerable success in other endeavors. Nor is the man some super-villian insensitive to animals. He is just utterly clueless when it comes to the care and training of thoroughbreds.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #114
rrpic6

My friend Roger B. (whom trained my one and only race horse) used to work for Mr. Moyers from maybe 2002-2007. Roger loves horses and practically lived on the backside of Mountaineer. Moyers' winning percentage "sky rocketed" to about 4% with Roger looking after his horses. Not sure of why they parted ways, but no one ever took such good care of Moyer's horses after that.

I believe that Ryoan and Eskendulce have been re-claimed recently. They somehow held their form (Eskendulce won 3-23) even under Mr. Moyers.

Mountainman: Will Mr. Moyers be permitted to run any horses this meet when Mountaineer opens?

RR
Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #115
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
My friend Roger B. (whom trained my one and only race horse) used to work for Mr. Moyers from maybe 2002-2007. Roger loves horses and practically lived on the backside of Mountaineer. Moyers' winning percentage "sky rocketed" to about 4% with Roger looking after his horses. Not sure of why they parted ways, but no one ever took such good care of Moyer's horses after that.

I believe that Ryoan and Eskendulce have been re-claimed recently. They somehow held their form (Eskendulce won 3-23) even under Mr. Moyers.

Mountainman: Will Mr. Moyers be permitted to run any horses this meet when Mountaineer opens?

RR
Hi Ron. Hope your wagering is going well.

In response to your question: The situation has become complicated and murky. While WV stands obligated to honor Ohio's suspension of Moyers, he has, as expected, filed an appeal. And while during the appeal process he is not TECHNICALLY prohibited from running horses at Mahoning, and is not (yet??)) a management exclusion there, they are not accepting his entries.

Consequently, Mnr-at least until the suspension is (in all probability) upheld-could only bar Moyers by making him a management exclusion, or by simply refusing his entries.

Given that Moyers has now hit PETA's radar, I'd bet money that Mountaineer will somehow keep him from running horses here. But that is simply my guess, and concerns an impending decision to be made far above my pay grade and power.

I have heard, btw, that he is now holding a clearance sale, of sorts.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-26-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #116
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
Nor is the man some super-villian insensitive to animals..
Sending a horse with a seeping wound to race is pretty insensitive to me, and deserves every bit of punishment that he gets for putting racing into disrepute.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #117
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Sending a horse with a seeping wound to race is pretty insensitive to me, and deserves every bit of punishment that he gets for putting racing into disrepute.
Compassion for animals aside, it was an incredibly dumb thing for Moyers to do and has become a career-defining moment.

Rest assured, sir, that stiff punishment seems inevitable.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-27-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #118
mountainman

Don't misinterpret these sour grapes-it's been a profitable meet for me. But why IS it that (with the obvious exceptions of Quinones and Houghton) most Mvr jocks will do CONTORTIONS to avoid establishing the lead early in route races, but then send like KEEEEEEERAYZEEEEEE down the backstretch to attack the pacesetter????????

And on a closely related note: shame on Lagunes for a pathetic effort on Eternal Power in today's 3rd race. His RIDICULOUS insistence on somebody else taking the lead turned a routine wire job into a tuff beat. And then committing the ULTIMATE SIN for a grab and hold jock, he put a weak finish on his mount.

Riders like him live in mortal terror of winning a race, but not appearing to be the reason for victory. Very costly for me-and I am still livid.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-27-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #119
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post

RR
I like Roger. And I'm not saying he is a black cat. But if I'm the resurgent Browns, I pay him to stop rooting for us and wearing our colors.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #120
castaway01

Quote:
Don't misinterpret these sour grapes-it's been a profitable meet for me. But why IS it that (with the obvious exceptions of Quinones and Houghton) most Mvr jocks will do CONTORTIONS to avoid establishing the lead early in route races, but then send like KEEEEEEERAYZEEEEEE down the backstretch to attack the pacesetter????????

And on a closely related note: shame on Lagunes for a pathetic effort on Eternal Power in today's 3rd race. His RIDICULOUS insistence on somebody else taking the lead turned a routine wire job into a tuff beat. And then committing the ULTIMATE SIN for a grab and hold jock, he put a weak finish on his mount.

Riders like him live in mortal terror of winning a race, but not appearing to be the reason for victory. Very costly for me-and I am still livid.
Hard to argue with what you wrote here. I tend to go easier on jockeys than most here because of the risks they take on the track, often for not a huge income. However, many don't seem to ride with any sort of logic or planning. You just wonder why they never look at the past performances and say, "Man, I'm the only speed here, best get out there on the lead."

castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: