Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #46
mountainman

Rather than laying the surface open to promote complete and even thawing, dirt was added in hopes of smothering the unsafe footing-a measure that has at the very least backfired, while at worst proven a total disaster.

The track-super, himself, today expressed grave concern to the jocks (several of whom had no intention of riding) about surface conditions, while management adhered to their commendable policy of making safety a singular priority.

The footing has become extremely uneven and seems likely, should racing resume Wed, to produce biased or unpredictable results.

Unsure footing in the 3/4 chute became an issue well before recent cancellations.

FWIW-There probably WAS no effective way for Mahoning's super to counter changing weather

Last edited by mountainman; 02-06-2019 at 02:46 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #47
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Nicely done. I thought the track played fair today. Do you agree?
Sorry, sir, just noticed this post. Will post backlog of daily bias-notes soon.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #48
bello
Veteran

Back in my days at Monticello Raceway, March would bring out the doge ( cones).

The track would begin thawing out after a cold winter and cones were placed around the far turn to keep the horses off the rail on that part of the track which would develop sinkholes.

Pre-racino days when racing would never be cancelled. Of course easier to accomplish in hanress racing. I would imaging some of the rough riding jocks would hers dome of their rivals into the cones and potholes.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #49
castaway01

Going back to my days at Keystone/Philadelphia Park, these conditions were always close to impossible for the track super. As Bello noted, with racinos there's no longer a need to force the track to run on days like this. Of course safety is paramount, but for us handicappers, these thawing conditions do lead to extreme biases at times and lots of bet-back opportunities, so from a selfish perspective racing on those days was often lucrative.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #50
bello
Veteran

Pretty surprised they are racing in the rain today.

Jockeys are the most fearless people there are.

Save travels to all.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Pretty surprised they are racing in the rain today.

Jockeys are the most fearless people there are.

Save travels to all.
Never mind...they just cancelled...rrpic, will they refund my toner and paper?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #52
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Never mind...they just cancelled...rrpic, will they refund my toner and paper?
It used to be a tax write off for me, but the new Tax Laws have set me back!

RR
Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #53
mountainman

Disastrous Washout on clubhouse turn. Now more and more rain. Widely fluctuating temps in forecast. Austintown's woes appear far from over.

Will sub in Charles Town until Mvr up and running. Have experienced good success there.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-07-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #54
rrpic6

22 horses had official workouts this morning on a surface labeled as fast. These included horses trained by many of MVR's leading Trainers. Hoping the surface remains safe and sound and live racing can resume Saturday 2-9-19.

RR
Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #55
mountainman

Seeing tons of precip flash freeze provides a temporary, much anticipated, and very ominous fix, one that MIGHT let them race as scheduled for a short time. The next thawing trend could have biblical effect.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #56
mountainman

Word is tomorrow's racing will proceed unless the jocks balk and refuse.

Clods, though, did become a serious concern after the renovation break.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #57
tcasolo

I've been following this thread, as I love the info. Admittedly, I don't bet MVR, but since I'm at their facility multiple x each week for simulcasting I like to keep up on the happenings.

For my own curiosity, I keep a spreadsheet comparing daily handles from year to year at MVR. I use the daily handle amount from after the last race chart on every Equibase PDF chart for my total. I assume that is the official handle amount.

I find it interesting that handle since opening last October is DOWN on average $100,000 per racing day. This comes to more than 11% decrease, as opposed to the national average in 2018 of a 3% increase.

I know PNG could care less about racing handle, as they are all about gaming. This certaninly shows in their lack of any viable rewards program for racing. (I do sadly recall last year they did offer everyone a straight superfecta bet for .10...how nice of them), but this should be of concern to Ohio racing in general.

Last edited by tcasolo; 02-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
tcasolo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #58
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcasolo View Post
I've been following this thread, as I love the info. Admittedly, I don't bet MVR, but since I'm at their facility multiple x each week for simulcasting I like to keep up on the happenings.

For my own curiosity, I keep a spreadsheet comparing daily handles from year to year at MVR. I use the daily handle amount from after the last race chart on every Equibase PDF chart for my total. I assume that is the official handle amount.

I find it interesting that handle since opening last October is DOWN on average $100,000 per racing day. This comes to more than 11% decrease, as opposed to the national average in 2018 of a 3% increase.

I know PNG could care less about racing handle, as they are all about gaming. This certaninly shows in their lack of any viable rewards program for racing. (I do sadly recall last year they did offer everyone a straight superfecta bet for .10...how nice of them), but this should be of concern to Ohio racing in general.

Total handle today was almost 1.5 million. Couldn't find the HANA 2018 final stats but the 2017 stats showed a 25% increase in handle from 2016.

http://horseplayersassociation.org/2017Sortable.html

RR
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #59
arw629
First Time Gelding

Race 1 tomorrow looks like quite a doozy of an allowance nl2 for 3 YO buckeyes. On numbers the race looks competitive but Attack Angle has been the most visually appealing of the field IMO. It rained all day and night in Austintown and I hope the track is good to go tomorrow.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #60
MONEY

R1. 02/13

#5 Make the Call, won on a wet track.
I think that he wins with a trouble free race.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: