Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #16
AlbertButtry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
Mountainman mentioned Jockey Luis Colon being the best jockey in the area. I've been saying that at MVR for the past 3 years. No one comes close. Rumor has it he may be going to Oaklawn when their meet opens in 2 weeks. He deserves a chance to try a major circuit. There is a huge drop off in talent after Colon. Jaime Rodriguez from Finger Lakes hasn't returned to MVR, Walter DeLa Cruz has left for Oaklawn, Augustin Bracho has followed his son Jose Bracho (hope he quits growing, talented as DeShawn Parker) to Tampa. Not sure about Magan Fadlovich's where abouts. My gradings for the riders here:

A+ Luis Colon

A- Luis Quinones (Won the Fall Meet here and at MNR.3rd nationally in wins)
Christian Pilares

B+ Erik Barbaran
Victor Santiago (Just arrived from Hawthorne)

B T D Houghton
Luis Gonzalez

B- Luis Rivera
Edgar Paucar

C+ Sonny Leon
Kaitlin Bedford (Apprentice has shown strength, timing and ability)
Hector Rosario

C Noel Vigil
Gerrardo Corrales
David Cardoso
Kirk Johnson

I'll be polite and won't name the riders I'd labeled a D or F.

RR
Fadlovich was headed to Sam Houston
AlbertButtry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 04:39 AM   #17
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
There is a trainer Rodney Moyers who is 0/1000. don't know his exact percentage. He owns the horses he trains. Also he has the same results in 0n other Ohio tracks. How can someone survive owning these horses with such dismal percentage ?

Mr. Moyers had a banner day on Saturday, winning the 1st race (Kaitlin Bedford up). His coupled entry ran 3rd. Later on he had a horse finish 2nd. He is very active in the claim box at MVR. With a career winning percentage of about 3%, it is indeed a hobby. I think he and his family are produce suppliers to various supermarkets in Ohio and West Virginia. I've been told he does have odd training habits. He often lets horses "train" themselves by running free for hours in hilly areas of his farm.

RR
Old 01-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #18
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertButtry View Post
Fadlovich was headed to Sam Houston

Glad to hear she is doing ok. I thought she had purchased a home in Austintown this past Summer. She had some bad spills, resulting in some serious injuries the past few years. Wish her well at Sam Houston.

RR
Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Scattershot observations:

1) Luis Quinones should have been dq'd for jock interference in Monday's (?) second race. His intimidation antics crossed the line in deep stretch.

2) The surface has been mostly fair lately.

3) Lots of people who bet Luis Gonzalez yell "stiff job" when he loses, and it often DOES look like he's straining to slow his mounts down, but that's just how the guy rides. Gonzalez is old school and thinks every horse should be taken off the pace, and his idea of rating is to snatch on the horse's mouth right after the break and try slowing up to a canter. Really, I'm serious.

4) Love the size and quality of veteran condition fields up there, but they card simply too many mdn races and struggle more each season to fill higher class events not restricted to ohio breds.

5) Certain Ohio bred races carry incorrect connotations in drf.

6) Jose Colon is by FAR the best rider in this region. Not even close.

7) When the weather is cold, fast tracks tend to develop a slight rail-bias late in the day.

8) Where did the live crowds go?????

9) Mvr's signal has grown in popularity at mountain simo. A lot.

10) Some players at Mnr simo suck up to and consult a core group of mnr horsemen who wager there everyday. I had no idea there were still players that stupid.

11) One of the tellers got me shut out of a 7/2 winner last week by pausing to flirt with the dude in front of me. I will retaliate by switching to the Sams. With sparse crowds there on certain weekdays, clerks need the business to justify their hours.
Thanks for the observations. Believe it or not I compare MVR to Gulfstream Park. Not in the sense of quality of horses and facility. They are similar because both tracks have nice sized fields and bring in a blended mixture of chalk, mid level prices and long shots every race day. A few observations I will add.

Rarely do you see jockeys drop back and close at MVR. They all gun their horses to the lead and pray the speed lasts even in longer races. It seems like it’s hard to rate horses there or very few try.

The finish line is oddly placed about three feet before the finish pole. Many people when watching the races there misjudge where the wire is really at.

If you are alive in the pick 6 or just want to know more info the mutuel department is very accommodating. They will actually break it down for you in detail.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
Mr. Moyers had a banner day on Saturday, winning the 1st race (Kaitlin Bedford up). His coupled entry ran 3rd. Later on he had a horse finish 2nd. He is very active in the claim box at MVR. With a career winning percentage of about 3%, it is indeed a hobby. I think he and his family are produce suppliers to various supermarkets in Ohio and West Virginia. I've been told he does have odd training habits. He often lets horses "train" themselves by running free for hours in hilly areas of his farm.

RR
Some fine day I will write about Mr Moyers' singular impact on thoroughbred racing.

On a related note: What a force in the O-bred ranks Little Blaker might be, given a rider who could fully capitalize on his talent and versatility.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 AM   #21
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:

RR
Lol ...The conditions were far from ideal but after race 1 (a rareMoyers win)a man by the bar shouted “I always said it would take a cold day in hell for Rodney Moyers to win a race!” The verbiage was somewhere along these lines...
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #22
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Lol ...The conditions were far from ideal but after race 1 (a rareMoyers win)a man by the bar shouted “I always said it would take a cold day in hell for Rodney Moyers to win a race!” The verbiage was somewhere along these lines...

Isn’t he the same trainer that back in 2017 ran a horse 23 times in 6 months? It was a bottom level claimer that nobody would ever claim. Hobby or no hobby you don’t run horses into the ground like that. With some quick research it seems he is notorious for this.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #23
mountainman

More scattershots:

Today's first race sadly exemplifies the growing problem of "pace scratching," which often results in non-competitive cakewalks and renders early handicapping useless. It's not only that sharp horses landing in competitive fields get scratched in pursuit of walkovers, but any contender deemed unsuitable to the pace scenario is likewise scratched, which changes everything.

I'm guessing the beyer guys don't trust Mahoning times-at all. Why else would (virtually) identical clockings at the same distance (and class level) result in a 9-point spread????? This tinkering happens a lot there. With no weather changes involved. For the record, mvr continues to clock each race, for purposes of comparison, by hand and with both the old and new systems. Six furlong races produce the widest discrepancies.

I have never seen a track, absent rain and not in the process of drying, change so much and on so many occasions during the course of respective cards. Or does it?? Real or imaginary, whatever surface-trend that seems to influence early results will usually contradict itself as the day wears on. Which, i'm starting to think, presents opportunity to outflank all the wise-guy wannabes who see Mahoning as uncharted territory and are ohhh so eager to plant their flags by proclaiming a bias. There might be value in backing some post position or running style that seemed disadvantaged in the first several races.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
rrpic6

A 2 day Pick 4 Carryover of over $18,000 awaits MVR players today. That doesn't seem like a big pot, but the Pick 4 pool usually gets about $6000 daily. With a 15% takeout, this is a great opportunity. It won't be easy though. A cold, steady rain on top of 10 inches of snow that was removed from the surface Monday will make handicapping the card difficult. 2 Maiden Special Weight races for females, a NW3L for fillies and mares and an Ohio Bred claiming race are the races needed to solve to get the prize. I predict a payout of at least $1800 for 50 cents. Good Luck!

RR
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #25
rrpic6

My Caveman Pick 4 Ticket:

Race 5: ,,,

Race 6: ,,,,

Race 7: ,,,,

Race 8: ,,,,

Cost = $250

RR
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #26
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
More scattershots:

Today's first race sadly exemplifies the growing problem of "pace scratching," which often results in non-competitive cakewalks and renders early handicapping useless. It's not only that sharp horses landing in competitive fields get scratched in pursuit of walkovers, but any contender deemed unsuitable to the pace scenario is likewise scratched, which changes everything.

I'm guessing the beyer guys don't trust Mahoning times-at all. Why else would (virtually) identical clockings at the same distance (and class level) result in a 9-point spread????? This tinkering happens a lot there. With no weather changes involved. For the record, mvr continues to clock each race, for purposes of comparison, by hand and with both the old and new systems. Six furlong races produce the widest discrepancies.

I have never seen a track, absent rain and not in the process of drying, change so much and on so many occasions during the course of respective cards. Or does it?? Real or imaginary, whatever surface-trend that seems to influence early results will usually contradict itself as the day wears on. Which, i'm starting to think, presents opportunity to outflank all the wise-guy wannabes who see Mahoning as uncharted territory and are ohhh so eager to plant their flags by proclaiming a bias. There might be value in backing some post position or running style that seemed disadvantaged in the first several races.

A few months ago MHV had back 2 back race days where post 1-1a won the first four races. I’m willing to bet that has never ever happened before.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #27
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Isn’t he the same trainer that back in 2017 ran a horse 23 times in 6 months? It was a bottom level claimer that nobody would ever claim. Hobby or no hobby you don’t run horses into the ground like that. With some quick research it seems he is notorious for this.

Actual data shows just three runners who have started as many as 23 times for Moyers at all during the past three years, and none of those were close to "23 starts in six months".
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #28
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
More scattershots:

Mark, It would be interesting to hang out with you at MVR to pick your brain for a few days; as Mahoning seems to be a "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" to me.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #29
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Actual data shows just three runners who have started as many as 23 times for Moyers at all during the past three years, and none of those were close to "23 starts in six months".
I had to research it to get the exact info but it was 21 races in the first 9 months of 2017, Lady Of Rivendale ? Spelling? Basically drove the horse into the ground bottom level horse should not have been racing IMO.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #30
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Mark, It would be interesting to hang out with you at MVR to pick your brain for a few days; as Mahoning seems to be a "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" to me.
Easily arranged, sir. And would be my honor.

I already counsel enough Mahoning money that Penn Gaming should put me on retainer.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-25-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: