Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Fractional Time Errors

AQU Dec 16 Race 9. Anyone think the 1st quarter is off by .80 - 1.00 ?

There is no way they ran 22.63, in my opinion.

Am I crazy? Yes, we know that is a yes. But am I wrong in this case?

Figure we can create a thread totally dedicated to fractional errors to help one another.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Too late to edit...

Not blaming NYRA. Just mad at Equibase.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'll check this one out, let you know what I think.

I find these ALL the time. Here is a recent example...Fair Grounds Race 1 on December 27th. The final time per video was 1:14.17, but the chart shows 1:14.77. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it was obvious when I did the speed figures there was an error and 3/5ths is a big one.

Most of the "errors" I find these days are just fat fingers by the Equibase chart caller. There are probably 15 to 20 a week.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Interesting on the Dec 16 race, this is one I missed for sure. I have pace figures for the race like this:

1/4 126
1/2 79
Fin 80

That is one I should have checked, but I'm only one guy and I don't get them all. Most of the ones I catch are the 2nd call and the final time because those are the ones that impact my speed figures.

This one was easy, I watched the video and it comes up 23.63, but the chart shows 22.63...clear fat finger. I'll definitely update this is my data and fix the figures. Tough game gets tougher with bad data.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Interesting on the Dec 16 race, this is one I missed for sure. I have pace figures for the race like this:

1/4 126
1/2 79
Fin 80

That is one I should have checked, but I'm only one guy and I don't get them all. Most of the ones I catch are the 2nd call and the final time because those are the ones that impact my speed figures.

This one was easy, I watched the video and it comes up 23.63, but the chart shows 22.63...clear fat finger. I'll definitely update this is my data and fix the figures. Tough game gets tougher with bad data.
CJ, YOU ARE AWESOME. Equibase, S***S...

Fat fingers and fat brains involved in this one
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
CJ, YOU ARE AWESOME. Equibase, S***S...

Fat fingers and fat brains involved in this one
I try...I'll harp on this until they finally put a better QC system in place. The one they have now is inadequate, and that is being kind.

I redid the day, that first quarter pace is figure will now show as 88. The other two are unchanged.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I try...I'll harp on this until they finally put a better QC system in place. The one they have now is inadequate, and that is being kind.

I redid the day, that first quarter pace is figure will now show as 88. The other two are unchanged.
Excellent, thank you. Knew I wasn't losing my mind with that one.

Now can you kindly give me the winner of the last 6 races tomorrow ?

I figure I'd ask while the iron is hot
Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I haven't even looked at tomorrow's card yet, I'll post a few I like when I do.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Here is another one that outofthebox pointed out could be in error, 12-23-2015 at Delta Downs Race 8.

http://www.deltadownsracing.com/medi...ng-and-replays

You can go to the video there. Watch when the final time pops up on the screen. There winners takes about 2 or 2.5 more strides before hitting the wire. How does nobody making the chart notice this, or at least someone on track alert the chart guy?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Here is another one that outofthebox pointed out could be in error, 12-23-2015 at Delta Downs Race 8.

You can go to the video there. Watch when the final time pops up on the screen. There winners takes about 2 or 2.5 more strides before hitting the wire. How does nobody making the chart notice this, or at least someone on track alert the chart guy?
That sort of brings into question the integrity of the finish, that's for sure. Not only for charting purposes, but what about the photo? Isn't the timer supposed to be tripped by a photo electric beam at the finish? It looked like someone manually stopped the timer, and the display popped up.

Brings back memories of the infamous "short trip" race in the fog, which was "won" in near track record time.....

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/Jo...65948d9a762105

Quote:
Carmouche was accused of slipping Landing Officer out of the mile-long race near the start, waiting in the fog until the eight other horses rounded the track and then charging back ahead of the pack near the final turn. The margin of victory was estimated at between 23 to 25 lengths. The Louisiana Racing Commission found him guilty and suspended him for 10 years. ''It ain't right. I know I ain't did it,'' Carmouche said after the commission voted.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
That sort of brings into question the integrity of the finish, that's for sure. Not only for charting purposes, but what about the photo? Isn't the timer supposed to be tripped by a photo electric beam at the finish? It looked like someone manually stopped the timer, and the display popped up.

Brings back memories of the infamous "short trip" race in the fog, which was "won" in near track record time.....

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/Jo...65948d9a762105
I don't think the photo finish camera and the timer are tied together in any way.

It's just sad really. I get it, shit happens, but how are these things not caught?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I don't think the photo finish camera and the timer are tied together in any way.

It's just sad really. I get it, shit happens, but how are these things not caught?
Now that you mention it, doesn't the photo finish mechanism get tripped slightly before the wire to ensure it's running as the horses cross the finish line? Maybe it stopped the timer instead? You're right though, those two systems should be independent of each other.

I don't look at this as some sort of "mistake" or screw up. This is rather unsettling, and warrants an explanation from the track officials. Which I'm confident will not happen.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Total incompetence CJ. That's how.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Total incompetence CJ. That's how.
In the final hours of 2015, here is the POST OF THE YEAR!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This is a good idea - keep a thread going of the mistakes made by the data whores at EB so we can update our databases.

I guess they charge extra for correct information.

EB, when Denny's is closed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: