Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Phoenix Fire

1.25 million firster goes tomorrow in race 1 at SA for Baffert. BB is sending him out at a mile and an eighth on the turf for his first race. Should be interesting.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
1.25 million firster goes tomorrow in race 1 at SA for Baffert. BB is sending him out at a mile and an eighth on the turf for his first race. Should be interesting.
been watching baffert send mdns out a long time, 20+ years, get ever recall one being sent long on the turf for a debut... I mean I am sure its happened but its gotta be rare. I would imagine this horse cant run a lick or is just complete plodder and needs like a mile and half.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, will observe, haven't handicapped today at all, wonder what the breeding is...just took a look on Whobet. Tapit's love the turf and first out. DVD up.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Bennie

Not exactly world beaters in this race. He may be good enough first time out but would want fair odds. I am looking at the 9, second race after blinks off but would not hesitate using Bafferts FTS in some wagers.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
Not exactly world beaters in this race. He may be good enough first time out but would want fair odds. I am looking at the 9, second race after blinks off but would not hesitate using Bafferts FTS in some wagers.
Yes, the 9 is extremely well bred too and $500K is a nice chunk of change. The 1 intrigues as this is another well bred horse, Wygods, and trainer does well with this move.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
RunForTheRoses

They are betting the shit out of 1 1 2 3...I through the 4 out on the P5, not a great sequence, shouldn't have but can't help myself. Hope the wins.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
Secondbest

The 5 as 6/5 chalk won easy as you all saw.The 4 showed nothing.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
been watching baffert send mdns out a long time, 20+ years, get ever recall one being sent long on the turf for a debut... I mean I am sure its happened but its gotta be rare. I would imagine this horse cant run a lick or is just complete plodder and needs like a mile and half.
Ha. My exact thoughts as well.

Tapit on top, Tiznow on bottom and he gets sent 1st out long on turf. His works looked good on paper, but obviously weren't.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
The 5 as 6/5 chalk won easy as you all saw.The 4 showed nothing.
Yeah, 20K purchase. Baltas does some real good work.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Yeah, 20K purchase. Baltas does some real good work.
Added a partner in LNJ Foxwoods before this race, wonder how much their purchase valued this horse at since they're certainly not averse to opening the pocketbook. Whatever it was, have to think that win made them feel it was worth it, think this horse jumps right near the top of California based 3yo's on the turf right now.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Added a partner in LNJ Foxwoods before this race, wonder how much their purchase valued this horse at since they're certainly not averse to opening the pocketbook. Whatever it was, have to think that win made them feel it was worth it, think this horse jumps right near the top of California based 3yo's on the turf right now.
Although the final 8th was very nice I think this may turn out to be a weak maiden field. Going to have to step way up in the future to compete in graded turf races for 3-year olds.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
SG4

Quote:
Although the final 8th was very nice I think this may turn out to be a weak maiden field. Going to have to step way up in the future to compete in graded turf races for 3-year olds.
I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but can you point me to a turf race in California for this year's crop of colts which wasn't a weak field? I honestly can't remember a single event going back to the 2yo season where I thought a strong field was involved, would like to hear if you have a difference of opinion. The Inscom/Pubilius Syrus matchup back in Sept was notable for the top 2, but nothing much doing behind them.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but can you point me to a turf race in California for this year's crop of colts which wasn't a weak field? I honestly can't remember a single event going back to the 2yo season where I thought a strong field was involved, would like to hear if you have a difference of opinion. The Inscom/Pubilius Syrus matchup back in Sept was notable for the top 2, but nothing much doing behind them.
The 3yo turf division in SoCal is starting to pile up with good prospects. In addition to the aforementioned Pubilius Syrus and Inscom, there is River Boyne who has romped in two straight starts, the Baffert duo of Masked (2 hillside wins) and Heck Yeah (a Cal-bred stakes winner on both turf and dirt), as well as current Derby prospect My Boy Jack (who's best work prior to the sloppy Southwest came on the grass) and Hollendorfer-trained Choo Choo (who has been expirementing up north on the synthetic to modest success). Doug O'Neill has Blended Citizen, who has not tried turf since beating River Boyne in a maiden race and Croissant, who demolished a hillside Cal-bred maiden a couple of weeks ago.

At the national level, they all have a few lengths to find on the Chad Brown runner that crushed at Del Mar in November.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The 3yo turf division in SoCal is starting to pile up with good prospects. In addition to the aforementioned Pubilius Syrus and Inscom, there is River Boyne who has romped in two straight starts, the Baffert duo of Masked (2 hillside wins) and Heck Yeah (a Cal-bred stakes winner on both turf and dirt), as well as current Derby prospect My Boy Jack (who's best work prior to the sloppy Southwest came on the grass) and Hollendorfer-trained Choo Choo (who has been expirementing up north on the synthetic to modest success). Doug O'Neill has Blended Citizen, who has not tried turf since beating River Boyne in a maiden race and Croissant, who demolished a hillside Cal-bred maiden a couple of weeks ago.

At the national level, they all have a few lengths to find on the Chad Brown runner that crushed at Del Mar in November.
Sorry I didn't get back. Completely agree with Spalding. I am not saying he can't get in there but all those Spalding listed, especially River Boyne, plus some others means he has to improve.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #15
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Hopefully all the aforementioned line up on Mar 17th in the Pasadena & the debate can be settled on the racetrack.

Heck Yeah is a very cool horse, not sure they're in any rush to jump out of Cal-bred competition considering he looks to have them over a barrel long/short/dirt/turf for several 200k races coming up. My Boy Jack appears committed to the triple crown trail so won't see him on turf for awhile I imagine.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: