Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Lookin At Lucky Targeting Indiana Derby

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-indiana-derby

Excerpt:

“If Lucky works very well he will start in Indiana Derby,” Baffert said. “He looks really well now and is back on track. That should set him up for the (Breeders' Cup) Classic (gr. I, Nov. 6).”
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Always a great prep for the Classic.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Always a great prep for the Classic.
It's a sign of the times. When I saw the title of the article I thought to myself that California racing is about done.

I also think we'll see Baffert doing a lot more travelling in the next few years. Especially from July to September.

Last edited by andymays; 09-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
It's a sign of the times. When I saw the title of the article I thought to myself that California racing is about done.

I also think we'll see Baffert doing a lot more travelling in the next few years. Especially from July to September.
The CA season has always been a little different than in the east, but IMO CA has always had only two choices.

1. They can rip out all the synthetics

2. They can "try" to attract as many top turf horses as possible with the idea that some of them may be versatile enough to win races on both turf and synthetic and that will give trainers/owners many more options for their horses come rain or shine etc... This option probably went out the window when they chose to rip out the Pro Ride at SA because that seemed to be the most turf friendly surface of the three.

At this point, I can't even believe what they've done to Del Mar. I was only there once, but I liked it as much as the Spa. I would never go now and don't blame many horsemen for taking their dirt horses out of there either.

If SA is going dirt, Del Mar HAS TO go dirt too or IMO that meet is through.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-17-2010 at 11:22 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The CA season has always been a little different than in the east, but IMO CA has always had only two choices.

1. They can rip out all the synthetics

2. They can "try" to attract as many top turf horses as possible with the idea that some of them may be versatile enough to win races on both turf and synthetic and that will give trainers/owners many more options for their horses come rain or shine etc... This option probably went out the window when they chose rip out the Pro Ride at SA because that seemed to be the most turf friendly surface of the three.

At this point, I can't even believe what they've done to Del Mar. I was only there once, but I liked it as much as the Spa. I would never go now and don't blame many horsemen for taking their dirt horses out of there either.

If SA is going dirt, Del Mar HAS TO go dirt too or IMO that meet is through.

It's the money. California can't generate enough money to compete anymore. The takeout hike will produce some short term revenue and more long term misery.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
classhandicapper

Quote:
It's the money. California can't generate enough money to compete anymore. The takeout hike will produce some short term revenue and more long term misery.
Maybe if they had dirt racing the handle would rise (at least relative to the rest of the country).

The industry badly needs consolidation, but that's a can of political worms....I mean snakes.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Maybe if they had dirt racing the handle would rise (at least relative to the rest of the country).

The industry badly needs consolidation, but that's a can of political worms....I mean snakes.
The surface matters to guys like me but in the big picture it's not going to make much of a difference in California. The problems are too big and the people running things are corrupt, incompetent, greedy, and egotistical. That's a losing superfecta if there ever was one.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:
The surface matters to guys like me but in the big picture it's not going to make much of a difference in California.

The problems are too big and the people running things are corrupt, incompetent, greedy, and egotistical.

That's a losing superfecta if there ever was one.

Don't hold back.
Tell us how you really feel.

That's a pretty big score for Hoosier Park's racing office.
Who knew 7 furlong prep races on bullrings would be able trump Oak Tree at home?
The_Knight_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Knight_Sky
Don't hold back.
Tell us how you really feel.

That's a pretty big score for Hoosier Park's racing office.
Who knew 7 furlong prep races on bullrings would be able trump Oak Tree at home?
Are you sure of the size of the track? I have no idea.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The track isn't quite a bullring, but it is also not a 7f race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

So tell me, how many horses have come out of the Indiana Dby to take down or even run well in the BCC?

Puzzling decision to me as he was one whom I thought had a shot in the Classic. Just doesn't seem like the competition will sharpen him for the big one. Heck, why not the Super Dby?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Easy purse money and appearance fee is the why.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
So tell me, how many horses have come out of the Indiana Dby to take down or even run well in the BCC?

Puzzling decision to me as he was one whom I thought had a shot in the Classic. Just doesn't seem like the competition will sharpen him for the big one. Heck, why not the Super Dby?
He probably wants an easy race before the Classic. He's been sick so this makes sense. I don't think he has a shot in the Classic but you never know.

As far as Indiana goes it's a sign of the times.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Orientate comes to mind, but his BC success may have been the following year. I fergit.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
bane

Got to love how soft races have replaced hard works lol
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply