Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-15-2023, 08:39 PM   #61
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
One of the procedures is:

You look at actual tissue samples using a microscope.

Or in the case of viruses an electron microscope.

On the other hand, both of my college biology courses were Tues-Thurs 7:00 am to 9:30 am.

It's entirely possible any viruses I saw under an electron microscope that early in the morning were the result of hangover induced hallucination.

Seriously though, viruses are something you can actually see.

-jp
If it was biology class you’re probably confusing viruses and bacteria. Which brings up an interesting point, because yhey are said to be of similar size but you can easily find bacteria in nature.
kyle r is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #62
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
No. When I was in the second grade my dad bought me a microscope. It was actually strong enough to see bacteria in drops of water on a glass slide.

In college biology were were looking at viruses using an electron microscope.

But all right.

Pretend I'm a five year old and explain it to me.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-15-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 08:42 PM   #63
dnlgfnk

Quote:

On the other hand, both of my college biology courses were Tues-Thurs 7:00 am to 9:30 am.

It's entirely possible any viruses I saw under an electron microscope that early in the morning were the result of hangover induced hallucination.

-jp
Don't waste much time. I'm open to learning something, but the typical play is to cite the appeal to authority fallacy in some fashion. A virologist isn't this or that other necessary discipline, or has a financial investment in outcomes.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:58 PM   #64
kyle r

Quote:
All right.

Then pretend I'm a five year old and explain it to me.

-jp
Good. Ok, if you’re like me, you probably thought they take a sample out of a sick person, out of lung tissue for a respiratory disease where the virus would be teaming; maybe they centrifuge it to get the junk out and they put it under a microscope and see “viruses.” No. They can’t and have never found a virus just out in nature, not even in the sickest person. What they do is take a sample from a sick person who they assume is infected by a virus, do some reduction of the fluid sample, but nowhere near what could be called purification; THEN they CULTURE it. That is they grow a sample in a petri dish using, most commonly, vero(green) monkey kidney cells, bovine fetal cells and various nutrients. After they grow it, they then starve it and hit it with antibiotics. Only then do we get those pictures which are said to be viruses killing cells (pathogenaity). And in order to get those pictures under the electron microscope they have to usexa heavy metal stain. Couple interesting points. If you omit the patient sample, which is where the virus supposedly is, and just do the culture and starvation process, you still see the same thing. Also, there is something called exosomes - cellular debris - and they admit it’s really hard to tell the difference between exosomes and what they call viruses. I don’t know about you but I find this insane. If you really are interested I’ll direct you to the experts making the case.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #65
dnlgfnk

We can all play. Free admission night:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hoax...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Everybody choose a side:

https://twitter.com/hoaxeye/status/1...870912?lang=en
Old 06-15-2023, 09:29 PM   #66
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
That's a good philosophy. I know a lot of people old enough to have children that are young adults that seem to deny their youth. You might give a few
suggestions here and there but it is best to just let them find out for themselves.

Where the hell would you tell a young person to go to get a good formal education these days? It looks like most institutions well respected back in the day are graduating educated idiots.
Well...I guess the most that the parents can hope for is that their kids will become EMPLOYED "educated idiots".
Old 06-15-2023, 09:38 PM   #67
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
i think the late dick mitchell (?) said, "talent borrows, genius steals" so maybe you at least have talent.

how is your son doing with the car? hopefully better?

for all the talent here (people beating a brutal game while simultaneously having impressive knowledge of science, religion, politics,....) this can be a very negative place many days. sometimes so negative that i wonder if the horseplayer can ever overcome whatever demons that led him to the game? but that day everyone rallied around your son and wanted the best for him and if only for the moment, inspired a little hope in our breed.
Yes...that congregated effort to help my son pleased me as well. It's nice that we can put our philosophical differences aside in a time of need.

And the car problem is indeed fixed, but it was expensive because the warranty wasn't honored by the dealership. Bad luck. But the bright side is that my son has promised to pay me back.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:50 PM   #68
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
and i am just the opposite as you, i gave my kids the bible, religion, education, conservatism. I gave them everything "concrete" that changed my life. I feel those opinions (facts to me) should not die with me, of course they can do what they want with it. It appears they are doing good.
You gave them a baseline to make sound choices, life is all about choices we make as we go. None of us are given all the answers so it is better to not make big mistakes early on.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 09:51 PM   #69
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Well...I guess the most that the parents can hope for is that their kids will become EMPLOYED "educated idiots".

They should teach them how to get government jobs or run for office.
By educated idiots I mean people that get degrees that are useless unless you are going to teach the subjects or go on Jeopardy. The best example I

can see is Mayor Pete. His comments about the East Palestine train derailment showed a 7 year old with a train set knows more about trains than him. He also didn't even display the understanding of the contamination issues that a person with common sense would have. He is a Rhode Scholar.
Funny how most Democrats rave over Mayor Pete, he is just an empty suit.
He talks a good game and is great at pointing fingers.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #70
porchy44

Quote:

-jp
I took a Mircrobiology class 40 years ago at University, and also had an opportunity to view Viruses via an Electron Microscope. It was an extremely expensive piece of equipment.

Last edited by porchy44; 06-16-2023 at 09:09 AM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2023, 09:17 AM   #71
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
I took a Mircrobiology class 40 years ago at University, and also had an opportunity to view Viruses via an Electron Microscope. It was an extremely expensive piece of equipment.
You were told they were viruses and you believed. That’s what this thread is about.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #72
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle r View Post
You were told they were viruses and you believed. That’s what this thread is about.
Priests can tell people anything and they believe.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:28 AM   #73
kyle r

Science is the most prominent of the modern day priesthoods. The analogy is taut. There is indoctrination, dogma, a proscription against heresy, and the threat of excommunication. Its funding comes from kings and it serves its funders.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #74
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Don’t get mad at me because everything you believe has been downloaded directly from The Telescreen. You assert the existence of viruses. Be a man and defend your assertion.
I don't have to defend anyhing to an idiot.
YOU claimed they do not, YOU prove it.

Better yet, go pologize to your school and beg them to let you back in.

btw, what position do you have at the White House?
Old 06-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #75
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You assume facts not in evidence.
The onus of proof is on you. BE A MAN!
PROVE YOUR BASELESS CLAM.

Last edited by Tom; 06-16-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply