Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Moved to Phoenix from Philly when I was 10.

I have one very vivid memory from the day we arrived. About 30 minutes out the pilot had announced in one of those classic southern drawls commercial airline pilots seem to have that the temp in Phoenix was a warm 97 degrees. (It had been something like mid 60's that day when we boarded the plane in Philly.)

Back then you boarded and exited airplanes via a staircase located on the tarmac.

I remember walking down the stairs, taking a few steps on the tarmac, and feeling the desert for the first time. It wasn't unbearable but for about the first 30 seconds, because I could hear jet engines, I thought that the heat was because we were on the tarmac and somehow jet engines were blowing hot air on us.

But as we walked to the baggage claim area -- which was outside back then -- I realized that jet engines had nothing to do with it and what I was feeling wasn't about to go away any time soon.

Btw, 97 (the temp that first day) is nothing. I recall a couple of days where it got so hot they actually had to shut the airport down because the insurance carriers would only cover an air disaster up to a certain temp (120 I think it was.)

Lived in Phoenix for about 35 years and am in San Diego as I type this.

Just took these screenshots a few minutes ago -- tale of two cities:

Phoenix weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...17-1552hrs.jpg

San Diego weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...17-1354hrs.jpg

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-20-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
RunForTheRoses

Lived in Phoenix for about 35 years and am in San Diego as I type this.

Just took these screenshots a few minutes ago -- tale of two cities:

Phoenix weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...17-1552hrs.jpg

San Diego weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...17-1354hrs.jpg

-jp

.[/QUOTE]

Ever since I lived in Vegas, I'm back east now, I'm a idk Goldilocks Bear who doesn't like it too hot or too cold. Hate hot and humid A LOT, also don't like freezing my b--off in the winter either. San Diego/La Jolla 78 year round is what I aspire to.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #18
RaceBookJoe

Parts of the vegas valley hit 120 today . Official temp is taken at the airport though, and I believe its a shaded area where that temp is taken. Power bills jump like crazy for me. Highest bill I ever had in the summer was just over $400 a few years ago, usually over $300 during the summer months. Winters are much more affordable though