Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #91
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Went to the Doctor for Insomnia...

Doctor prescribed watchning the NFL...Worked like a charm..Thx Doc.. :jump...NOT
When you are suffering through the work week. Thursday night football is a guaranteed snoozer. Start the weekend off right, watch those games and sleep well Thursday night. You'll feel like a King on Friday morning!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #92
Marshall Bennett

Yeah, Titans vs. Jags in prime time. I've heard these schedules are made way in advance and that's an excuse networks often use. Neither of these teams have been worth a crap in ages.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #93
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Yeah, Titans vs. Jags in prime time. I've heard these schedules are made way in advance and that's an excuse networks often use. Neither of these teams have been worth a crap in ages.
Every team is required to play one Thursday game each year, including Thanksgiving,(This doesn't include the season opener featuring the Super Bowl champ)

Maybe the NFL decided, for one night at least, to put two of their rotten apples in one barrell.

Last edited by barahona44; 10-31-2016 at 12:52 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #94
Valuist

Game 5 of the World Series outdrew the Eagles/Cowboys Sunday Nighter by 40%. So much for the nonsense any prime time NFL game will always outdraw MLB. This time it wasn't even close.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #95
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Game 5 of the World Series outdrew the Eagles/Cowboys Sunday Nighter by 40%. So much for the nonsense any prime time NFL game will always outdraw MLB. This time it wasn't even close.
I was wondering about that and I'm not surprised. That was even a really good football game. But the NFL has multiple issues now, I ask my friends (both genders) and they say the same thing.

1. They watch football to steer clear of politics and all of the finger pointing crap. Sports and Movies have always been a forum to escape that garbage.

2. Many of them complain about the "over reporting" of the off the field crap. Domestic violence and violence or crime is bad but if its a football player these fools will kick it to death for hours upon hours and days.....Say it once or twice and move on. That crap has nothing to do with the game itself. In other words, See number 1! People don't want protests and they don't need a crime report with a bunch of sappy BS!

3. The penalties are killing interest in the game. Twenty something penalties in a regular season game is a joke, a travesty. Then suddenly the playoffs start and there are 3 or 4 a game........lately that's even gotten worse. What's the deal? They play cleaner after the season is over? I understand the "safety" calls for roughing and late hits but these ticky, tacky, holding calls and pass interference calls are an absolute detriment to the game. They are so inconsistent that the Refs look like the Keystone Cops out there......they just suck.

Anyone that thinks I'm kidding, just ask people that watch less now and listen to what they say.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #96
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
I was wondering about that and I'm not surprised. That was even a really good football game. But the NFL has multiple issues now, I ask my friends (both genders) and they say the same thing.

1. They watch football to steer clear of politics and all of the finger pointing crap. Sports and Movies have always been a forum to escape that garbage.

2. Many of them complain about the "over reporting" of the off the field crap. Domestic violence and violence or crime is bad but if its a football player these fools will kick it to death for hours upon hours and days.....Say it once or twice and move on. That crap has nothing to do with the game itself. In other words, See number 1! People don't want protests and they don't need a crime report with a bunch of sappy BS!

3. The penalties are killing interest in the game. Twenty something penalties in a regular season game is a joke, a travesty. Then suddenly the playoffs start and there are 3 or 4 a game........lately that's even gotten worse. What's the deal? They play cleaner after the season is over? I understand the "safety" calls for roughing and late hits but these ticky, tacky, holding calls and pass interference calls are an absolute detriment to the game. They are so inconsistent that the Refs look like the Keystone Cops out there......they just suck.

Anyone that thinks I'm kidding, just ask people that watch less now and listen to what they say.
The Raiders set a single game record for penalties yesterday....and amazingly, still won.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #97
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
The Raiders set a single game record for penalties yesterday....and amazingly, still won.
Yeah, but does that make people watch or piss them off? And they were playing Tampa Bay so I'll believe anything that involves the Buccaneers' losing.

There were several other games with a ton of penalties too. Not just that one. This is getting worse not better. I guess its trendy, but I know several people that watched every week and now they don't care.

When people say "unwatchable" they will eventually have a problem.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #98
magwell

I know several people cant get enough NFL (like me) .......
Old 11-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #99
RaceBookJoe

Heard on the radio that viewership is down 19% on Sunday Night games and 24% on MNF...or vice-versa cant really remember. Sunday's when there is a London game, its hard to ask a fan with a family etc to sit for approx 14hrs watching football. Combine that with bs calls/inconsistent refs, its no wonder why the ratings are dropping.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #100
ronsmac

The flags for celebrating and taunting have turned me off completely. Sports and talking trash go together like peanut butter and jelly. Even in my day of low level organized sports, late 70s til mid 80s. Smack talk was what made it fun and why all the teens from my era loved watching the hurricanes. The refs have made the games unwatchable. The terrible primetime matchups haven't helped either.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #101
Valuist

And for one's viewing "pleasure" tonight? The 0-9 Cleveland Browns. A couple weeks ago it was the Jags. Just can't figure out why people aren't tuning in.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #102
lamboguy

the offshore gambling has basically been shut down for most people, and the fantasy stuff is nothing but a scam.

they lose a lot of people to watch those games if they don't have any financial interest in the outcome of the event.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #103
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
the offshore gambling has basically been shut down for most people, and the fantasy stuff is nothing but a scam.

they lose a lot of people to watch those games if they don't have any financial interest in the outcome of the event.
If it wasn't for gambling and Fantasy Football is gambling whether dictator Goodell thinks so or not next to no one is going to tune in to a pair of 10 loss teams playing each other late in the season.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #104
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
This.

I am in the minority in that I am a fan without a financial interest.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #105
ultracapper

Quote:
NFL games are too long? They aren't the ones who stop the clock after every first down. NFL games are going to always be right around 3 hours to 3:15. Get two passing teams in college and one is looking at a 4 hour game. College needs to rethink their rules on clock stoppages.
At least when a college game gets drug out, they're lighting up the scoreboard. The NFL can drag a 17-13 game out with penalty flags and replays and injury stoppages (the worst delay of them all. A guy will be laying on the ground for 3 or 4 minutes, then get up and walk off as if all he did was stub his $2M toe.) to the point it ends up having zero flow.

With the new avert-injury-rules in play, these QBs should be averaging 350 yards a game. Instead we have half of them with 70% completion rates averaging 4.5 yards per attempt. It's just boring. Stefan Diggs had 13 catches last week for, drum roll please, 80 yards. Impressive.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply