Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
dilanesp

a present for Secretariat fans

Probably many, if not most, people have only seen the grainy kinescope of his Belmont, which is hard to make out and is a very low quality recording.

Here's an episode of The Way It Was, the 1970's public television show starring Curt Gowdy, which features something most of you have probably never seen before-- a pristine first generation 3/4" videotape recording of the 1973 Belmont. It's the best footage of it I have ever seen, and it starts at 15:10 in this video:

https://youtu.be/C49ctDjdBU0?t=908
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Awesome!

Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Probably many, if not most, people have only seen the grainy kinescope of his Belmont, which is hard to make out and is a very low quality recording.

Here's an episode of The Way It Was, the 1970's public television show starring Curt Gowdy, which features something most of you have probably never seen before-- a pristine first generation 3/4" videotape recording of the 1973 Belmont. It's the best footage of it I have ever seen, and it starts at 15:10 in this video:

Thanks, I'll always remember Secretariat's Belmont.

Back in 1973 there were three major magazines (Time, Newsweek, and U.S. something) and I believe Secretariat was on the cover of each one just before the Belmont which I don't think had ever been done before. I was watching the three races and I don't think Turcotte used the whip once in any of the races.

What made his performance memorable to me was his move before entering the far turn. Only two other races stick out for me with a similar move Beholder's Pacific Classic last year which is on the Home page and Arazi's BC Juvenile race. I was a big fan of Bertrando and you can see his disappointment in the stretch.

[YT="Arazi"]JNZn919v6BU[/YT]

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-17-2016 at 11:11 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Thanks, I'll always remember Secretariat's Belmont.

Back in 1973 there were three major magazines (Time, Newsweek, and U.S. something) and I believe Secretariat was on the cover of each one just before the Belmont which I don't think had ever been done before. I was watching the three races and I don't think Turcotte used the whip once in any of the races.

What made his performance memorable to me was his move before entering the far turn. Only two other races stick out for me with a similar move Beholder's Pacific Classic last year which is on the Home page and Arazi's BC Juvenile race. I was a big fan of Bertrando and you can see his disappointment in the stretch.

[YT="Arazi"]JNZn919v6BU[/YT]
Third magazine was Sports Illustrated.This is always a popular trivia question
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

I never tire of watching this race. I remember watching it on TV at the time with chills going down my spine. Let him go, Ron. Let him go.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Wickel

Great clip. Thanks for sharing. '73 Belmont was the greatest single race run by the greatest horse ever in our lifetime.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
RaceBookJoe

Much appreciated, thank you for sharing !!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp

At the time in 1973 when I stood at Belmont Park and watched Secretariat's devastating performance I didn't realize the impact that it would have on racing,

Thanks for posting the YouTube link of the race.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
ultracapper

his move before entering the far turn. Only two other races stick out for me with a similar move Beholder's Pacific Classic last year which is on the Home page and Arazi's BC Juvenile race.

Watch Spend A Buck's Kentucky Derby.

My favorite race of all time. His far turn move was stunning. I was leaning back on a chair in the Longacres clubhouse when he made that move. I almost fell over backwards. Had to catch myself while saying "Look at him go"

Thanks for the video OP.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
open_question

Thanks, Dilanesp.

Greatest race ever.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "He's moving like a tremendous machine" has to be one of the greatest live sports announcer commentaries of all time, in any sport.

He completely and concisely encapsulated in six words exactly what was happening in this race.

No racing announcer before or since has been that good at exactly the time he needed to be for history's sake.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
johnhannibalsmith

Racing's version of "in a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened" and "do you believe in miracles?"

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
1st time lasix

Was fortunate enough to meet and chat with hall of fame jockey-Liffit Pincay last week. Remember he rode Sham in the Triple Crown races against "Big Red. Sham was a very good horse that was simply born the wrong year. He said the owner and trainer wanted him to stay with Secretariat in the Belmont at all cost. The result were fast fractions.... and a horse that broke down...never to run again. Said the only way he could beat that horse was to pack a gun. ha!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
delayjf

Laffit Pincay pulled Sham up after he was hopelessly beat. Sham broke down one month after the Belmont during a workout. I'm pretty sure had Sham's injury occurred during the Belmont it would have surfaced or been discovered a lot sooner than one month later.

Last edited by delayjf; 07-24-2017 at 04:17 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Third magazine was Sports Illustrated.This is always a popular trivia question
US News and World Report was the third news magazine.

BTW, in 1973 the SI "Sportsman of the Year" award went to.....Secretariat.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply