Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #46
Hambletonian

It concerns me that horses seem less durable than 40 years ago.

It concerns me about the use of vet work in place of rest, which I believe is the product of the insanely high purses to horse value ratios today.

Anyone who thinks this problem is related to Santa Anita only is missing the point. As is anyone who thinks that the problem is dramatically worse than 5 or 10 years ago.

What has changed is the availability of information, and the ability to transmit it instantaneously.

Reading through the autopsy reports that some states now require is quite illuminating. It shows that many of the fatalities had numerous indications of pre-existing medical issues involving their infrastructure, including health affecting ulcers, etc that didn't lead to their demise but probably affected their quality of life. These reports indicate that most fatalities did not occur out of the blue.

The average person is not comfortable with the idea of equine athletes being treated as disposable entities. And it is only going to get worse.

The conundrum is what to do about it. If all racehorses had to be screened repeatedly to ensure their good health and soundness, there would be thousands of horses who would no longer be raceable. And it is very hard to imagine that these horses would have an increased lifespan if they were removed from the racing pool.

What is their to do? Well we could get rid of claiming races, which would end the current rent a horse situation. We could go to a European handicap type system, which would reduce the profit motive significantly.We could require that all vet work be done by appointed vets, to eliminate all the crap that is going on in this "better racing through chemistry" age.

Will any of this be done? Probably not, but it is all but certain that more and more information about the demise of unfortunate racehorses will be made available in the coming years, and that the number of animal advocates greatly exceeds the number of racing fans.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #47
Dream_Police

Racing will not be banned in CA period, jobs,revenue will be lost and that will lead to officials being voted out of office and that is one thing that they hold dear, the power.

PETA needs to worry about the over population of dogs and cats instead of trying to put people out of work.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #48
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Fager is right. Dirt racing at Santa Anita is not safe right now. The BC should have been moved, wasn't, and a decent horse is dead as a result. A black eye for the sport, and perhaps a death-knell for the sport in California.
You my friend need to take a break. Eat a Snickers bar because you are not yourself.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #49
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
The circus was around a long time too before it went bye bye.
AllThings change, This is about the only true thing you have poster lately.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #50
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
It concerns me about the use of vet work in place of rest, which I believe is the product of the insanely high purses to horse value ratios today.

Anyone who thinks this problem is related to Santa Anita only is missing the point. As is anyone who thinks that the problem is dramatically worse than 5 or 10 years ago.

<snip>

Reading through the autopsy reports that some states now require is quite illuminating.
Good post. Most all problems known to mankind are multifactoral.

Perfection is not achievable, but we should always be collecting data, facts, and using the technology and science available to us ---- in a collaborative and multidisciplinary way.

This is really what these conversations should be about.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #51
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Do you ever post when good stuff happens? Or are you nothing but doom, gloom, and absurd theories?
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't accuse jockeys and horses of trying to kill each other during the race?

Is that a new rule, because it sure wasn't around earlier this year.
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #52
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't accuse jockeys and horses of trying to kill each other during the race?

Is that a new rule, because it sure wasn't around earlier this year.
Yeah, that is probably a good idea, because it is ridiculous to think horses and jockeys are trying to kill each other while racing.

Jockeys are trying to win races, and occasionally some get careless. I don't think I single jockey ever sets out to kill anyone during a race. And horses? Come on, man.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #53
46zilzal
velocitician

Outside, both days, there were just about as many SUPPORTERS of horse racing as there were PETA people along Huntington Drive entering the parking lots.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #54
theiman

Yesterday at Belmont Park the 26th horse in 2019 was euthanized from either training or racing. For all of those naysayers who say that SA surface isnt safe please explain why the Belmont surface is safe?
Amazing how many ignorant posts on what the problem is in racing. If the surface at SA was bad, why havent jocks and trainers boycotted the track and moved their business elsewhere?

Thanks to PA for sticking up for what is going on.

By the way the horse that died from training at Belmont was Kid Robin Hood.

Bel 26
Sar 13
Aqu 4
Total 43 at NYRA tracks.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #55
46zilzal
velocitician

Breed speed to speed (an offer continuing shortening of all graded races so EVEN IF YOU WANTED to know where stamina comes from, there would be no way to find it), load up animals with Calcium leaching drugs ( a known side effect of furosemide) and, over time, this is what you get..
Old 11-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

As PA has stated, there are always going to be horses that die from racing. Always have been, always will be. People die in horse racing too. If you can't stomach those things, the game isn't for you. It doesn't make those that participate uncaring or callous people. Most care a lot about horses and never want to see a horse hurt.

There are risks in virtually everything. There are risks with owning pets. Are we going to ban that too? I have dogs that are as friendly as can be but have killed countless other animals in my yard. Rabbits, squirrels, opossums, birds, even a cat. Should the cat owner be banned from having pets too? Where do we draw the line?

Racing can do a better job in decreasing deaths. Watching the race yesterday, I thought maybe the whip was used a little too much. That horse was clearly finished. But now I can't find a replay as it has vanished from most sites. I'll check my DVR later, only I can delete that one. No reason we can't limit whip use or use them for safety measures only.

We need to get rid of the drugs. I'm tired of hearing how we're different. If most of the rest of the world can race without drugs, so can we. That is the one thing that really is going to be tough to defend as time goes on. The general public that doesn't follow racing isn't going to want to hear reasons why horses have to race with drugs. It is never going to be a good look.

That is my two cents, worth less than a penny.

EDIT: Watched again, stand by the whip thing.

Last edited by cj; 11-03-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #57
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yeah, that is probably a good idea, because it is ridiculous to think horses and jockeys are trying to kill each other while racing.

Jockeys are trying to win races, and occasionally some get careless. I don't think I single jockey ever sets out to kill anyone during a race. And horses? Come on, man.
Sentiments that probably should have been expressed back in early May.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #58
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
Sentiments that probably should have been expressed back in early May.
You lost me. Did people say Saez was trying to kill someone? Or did they say he was careless? Those are two vastly different things. I also seem to remember some thought it was just the horse and not Saez.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #59
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You lost me. Did people say Saez was trying to kill someone? Or did they say he was careless? Those are two vastly different things. I also seem to remember some thought it was just the horse and not Saez.
He was accused of basically everything, but then again he doesn't have white privilege.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #60
MargieRose

Why this obsession with DIRT racing? Get rid of it...at ALL tracks! Synthetic, too, for that matter. Grass ONLY! You want change, improvement for the sake of the HORSES...there you have it!!

I can't imagine that the public would not be impressed, and maybe a bit forgiving of the industry, by such a profound sacrifice for the sake of the HORSES. And, I can't imagine that horses who are supposedly bred to run on dirt only can not run on grass just as efficiently...what do they know of as to how they were bred?

This fixation on 'speed' at any cost (like the demand for speed-enhancing dirt racing in THIS country) IS the crux of the problem, IMO. Equalize the surface for all racing, and the honest champions will prevail; let alone the worldwide stage opening to ALL.

As well, do away with low-level claiming races. Claiming races for anything less than $50,000 or even $100,000 should be eliminated. This is not a sport for the blue-collar segment of society. How many here could afford the care of even one horse, let alone a stable full?

As well, the harness racing industry, for the last ten years, has placed a 'cap' on breeding (no more than 140 mares) which, as mentioned by some in the industry, "the breed had definitely improved from an intelligence and ability perspective." The Thoroughbred industry should follow suit.

As well, of course, ban the continued use of racing drugs...ALL of them! Let the chips fall where they may.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply