Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Tour de France 2015

The greatest race in the world!
Kind of snuck up on me this year...began yesterday with an individual time trial.
I haven't followed the sport leading up to this years' Tour. I did watch the Criterium Dauphine' though, and based on that alone the winner will be Nibali or Froome.

Not sure if Nibali was playing games in the Dauphine', but Froome threw down on the final day with an impressive attack and won the race.
Nibali seemed to be playing possum...looking weak one day and attacking hard the next.
Bottom line though is that Froome was too good when came down to it. I believe he has the better team and will win his 2nd Tour this year.

A sleeper is Portugal's Rui Costa, who can really make some noise.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
_______
Veteran

I'll be rooting against Nibali and the entire Astana team. The stench of PED's is a little too strong around them for me to believe the team leader is the only one not using. I am just astounded they were given a racing license for the tour. Same old UCI.

Today wound up far more interesting than I would have thought. Advantage Froom and Contador right away. Nice to see Teejay ride well. Doubt he has support to be a threat for the yellow jersey but it would be nice if an American were on the podium. Would be quite an achievement given our thin ranks this year.

Shocked to see Cavendish lose a sprint. More shocked his head was so far out of the game he neglected to push to the wire so his team would have yellow. Got passed and stopped pedaling. A plan B would have put Martin in yellow instead of Cancellara.

This is my favorite 3 weeks in sports. Other than time trials, I'll watch every minute.

Last edited by _______; 07-05-2015 at 11:22 PM.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Greyfox

I watched the first hour and was totally frightened that Phil Ligett and Paul Sherwin had been replaced.
Some Aussie, who failed to mention Cathedrals, Castles and other landmarks was there.
Thank God!
After an hour or there abouts, Phil and Paul are still the race commentators.
Most track announcers in North America could learn from their brilliance.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
Dahoss2002

Nibali and Quintana lost some time today as they got caught in the crosswinds that split the peloton. Both Froome and Contador finished in the lead group.
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Thank God!
Phil and Paul are still the race commentators.

I don't the think that watching the Tour would be the same without them...

Best 3-weeks in Sports, imo....
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
I watched the first hour and was totally frightened that Phil Ligett and Paul Sherwin had been replaced.
Some Aussie, who failed to mention Cathedrals, Castles and other landmarks was there.
Thank God!
After an hour or there abouts, Phil and Paul are still the race commentators.
OMG -- I've not caught any of the action yet but I would have been floored to discover if Bob, Phil and Paul weren't providing the coverage.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
_______
Veteran

I don't want to be a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched yet but 2 big accidents on the flats just before the beginning of the first climb. The race was neutralized afterwards with 3 abandonment's (2 fairly big).

Still watching on DVR. Looks like they are neutralizing the first climb which, if true, totally changes the character today.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
_______
Veteran

That was a crazy climb at the end. Great race day. Long way to go before Alpe d'Huez where I expect your tour winner will be decided but nice to see Teejay riding well at this point.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
_______
Veteran

And poor Tony Martin. The tour decides to bring back time bonuses this year. Without them, he leads after yesterday and today. With them, he sits 1 second behind both days.

Tomorrow is a little taste of Paris-Roubaix. I ride with my tires around 100 psi rather than 120 just for comfort. I can't imagine going over cobbles period, much less in a race.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 AM   #10
LottaKash

Good Race today...

I always love the adrenaline heart pumping finishes, and this one, was one...Good for Rodriguez, he earned it...

I don't get the race delay tho....It is part of the game...There are always crashes, and it is tough on the ones that get crapped, but a crash shouldn't have a bearing on the overall character of this great race, imo...That is why it is the greatest race in the world...

Oh well...

Cobbles are always a nail biter day, especially in the wet...haha...
Old 07-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
_______
Veteran

Today's stage feels like justice. Great tactics and a deserving win.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Marshall Bennett

If they had major pileups more often like the one yesterday, I might be tempted to tune in.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
If they had major pileups more often like the one yesterday, I might be tempted to tune in.
Oh, just wait until they get into the mountains. You might see some one go over the side. Will that work?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Marshall Bennett

Well, like I've always said, Nascar wouldn't exist if fans knew in advanced there would be no crashes. I think it's a human nature thing, watching others screw up.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
_______
Veteran

Dull sprint stage other than confirming what we saw in stage 2. Cavendish isn't what he once was. Seeing Sagan finish in front of him on a flat stage is more telling than Greipel's win.

They changed sprint points to weight wins more than last year. The anti-Sagan rules. I still think you might see Sagan win green at the end but it will be close between him and Greipel.

This is all just making me long for July 14th and a mountain stage. I love the appetizers but can't wait for the main course.