Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
philsfan07
Veteran

Place Pick All Wager

Is this simply a sucker bet??

I have dabbled with it just to keep interested on a few Santa Anita cards, but I always wondered if it's simply a horrible sucker bet.
philsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

I am one that doesn't feel it to be a sucker bet, as it is a useful tool as well as a wagering vehicle. I find it to be a decent barometer of my handicapping perspective on any given day, and have cashed 11 tickets on the play.

I never bet more than $16, as I feel this amount is enough, and I don't feel that the wager is worth more than this investment.

Back on the opening Friday night at Hollypark in 2005 I hit a Pik4 for over $11,000 and turned around the next morning to play a $16 Place Pik9. I could have played more, as the coffers were full, but this is the wager I like. I swept the Pik9 pool that day for over $21,000!

When you are on, you are on. The adage "you need to make a bet everyday, because you could be walking around lucky and not even know it" can be viewed in a similar way with the Pik9. Your perspective could be spot on, and you don't even have to win the photo.

At the very least, you can play a $1 ticket, and see how you looked at the card as a whole. You can play a lot of future tickets if you're right one day.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
misscashalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsfan07

I have dabbled with it just to keep interested on a few Santa Anita cards, but I always wondered if it's simply a horrible sucker bet.
No!!! 1) Its a fun bet 2) If bet right (bridge jumpers special with 5 horses of less) the most you can lose is $6. Every time it comes up here at NYRA races (maybe 2 or 3 times a month) I do it, and am very much ahead.

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
misscashalot

sorry wrong interpretation

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsfan07

I have a buddy in North California, OPM from the HTR board, that has made a killing with this wager. If you can find a couple of races with weak faves that finish out of the top 2 the payoffs can be very rewarding. The biggest problem is it's a hard bet for ADWs to code for. Youbet can only take it under certain conditions (I think when there are 9 or fewer races) and at some ADWs you can't bet it at all.
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscashalot
No!!! 1) Its a fun bet 2) If bet right (bridge jumpers special with 5 horses of less) the most you can lose is $6. Every time it comes up here at NYRA races (maybe 2 or 3 times a month) I do it, and am very much ahead.
Sure beats the Grand Slam!
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Place Pick 9/Pick All, seems like a decent bet to me. I don't bet it much, since I usually don't have even close to 9 races handicapped in advance.

Place Pick 9/All - not a sucker bet in my opinion (although suckers are welcome to bet it).

OTOH the Win Pick 9/All - IMO is the cruelest bet I've ever seen and made the mistake of making one or two serious wagers on (and only because the carryover/guaranteed pool was massive, and because I frankly wasn't all that well at the time.) Only for those with massive betting bankrolls/teams and the single combination fun players who are glad too dispose of the minimum $1 or $2, and would just waste it on something else later.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 03-24-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
rrpic6

The Pick/Place all bet can be fun, frustrating and, sometimes, very profitable. I've gotten away from the bet recently, and don't know why. About 6 years ago, I'd play it a few times a week, with some very good results. Its interesting to try and guess what the payoff might be.
One 2 week stretch in 2001 still sticks in my craw. Some friends would chip in every Sunday at the Mountaineer OTB to play the Pick/Place at Santa Anita. One Sunday I got there late and two tickets were already put together. I bought 25% of one of the tickets, and zero% of the other. The ticket I don't get in hits for about 30K, the only winning ticket sold.
2 weeks later, I make a $64.00 ticket and let 3 other guys get in for a 4 way share. That ticket ends up being the only winning ticket sold, it paid about 32K. So I end up with $8,000 instead of close to 40K.
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
chrisl

explaination of this bet

I have never heard of this bet, could someone explain this. Thank you
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl
I have never heard of this bet, could someone explain this. Thank you
Pick a horse to finish EITHER first or second in each and every race on the card. The ticket with the most correct wins. Usually it is necessary to hit every race to cash a ticket. It will occaisionally pay for 8 of 9 on a nine race card.

The cost is figured the same as a pick-6, only on a $1 basis.

Last edited by Pace Cap'n; 03-25-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
Sure beats the Grand Slam!
I've been hanicapping for over 30 years, but this one is new on me. What's a Grand Slam?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest
I've been hanicapping for over 30 years, but this one is new on me. What's a Grand Slam?
At NYRA, take races 5, 6, 7, 8. Pick a horse to show in the first three, and pick the winner of race 8. It's a $2 bet, and usually seems to pay around $40 or $50.

Last edited by Pace Cap'n; 03-25-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
At NYRA, take races 5, 6, 7, 8. Pick a horse to show in the first three, and pick the winner of race 8. It's a $2 bet, and usually seems to pay around $40 or $50.
Thanks, I've been seeing Grand Slam on the wagering menu and didn't know what it was.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Pace Cap'n

Not until I had written out that reply did I see where they got the term "Grand Slam". Hit three bloop singles, then hit the big one...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
BlueShoe

Place pick 9

Not a bad bet,can on occasion offer some value.Like any bet,can be very frustrating at times.The 3-5 shot that you single in the first or last leg runs 3rd and you hit all the other races and get nothing in return is not uncommon.Since this player has been cursed by seconditis for years,perhaps should pay more attention to this wager.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply