Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #31
sonnyp

local t v reporting hes out of travers but still pointing at breeders
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #32
Grits

The ONLY place this fella is gonna be pointed is:

Pisgah Pike, Versailles, Kentucky (short term)

Frankfort Road, Versailles, Kentucky (long term)

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #33
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp View Post
local t v reporting hes out of travers but still pointing at breeders
Looks like Breeder’s Cup is out, Cards are at Clemson that day.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2018/7...its-incredible
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #34
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Without racing fans-betting and non-betting- their investments go away. So I would say they have an obligation to the sport that gives them these opportunities. And when they thumb their nose at that obligation they should be criticized.
They have been thumbing their nose at the betting public for many years now...and they haven't faced any consequences for their "snobbery". Why should they think that they will suffer any "inconvenience" NOW?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
They have been thumbing their nose at the betting public for many years now...and they haven't faced any consequences for their "snobbery". Why should they think that they will suffer any "inconvenience" NOW?
I don't expect them to change. I was reacting to a post that implied that we have no right to tell them how they manage their investments. Investment in sports is different.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #36
Ruffian1

I know it is just one picture and from a tough angle but from what can be seen, that ankle looks like crap.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #37
clicknow

Quote:
I was reacting to a post that implied that we have no right to tell them how they manage their investments. Investment in sports is different.
I've gone back and forth with this over time, but feel I've come to terms with it.

Horse racing isn't a team sport. Each horse/owner/trainer is an individual entity.

I would no more tell a horse's connections to run him as I would tell Rafael Nadal which surface to play on, which tournaments to play in. I am not his sports medicine doc or his coach and I am not qualified to make decisions on his behalf.

I don't believe that being a fan qualifies me to be 'calling the shots' BUT when I start to think like that, I realize I do have control over more appropriate reactions.

What I CAN control is my level of expectations, as well as my reaction to disappointment. If I feel I am not going to get "sportsmanship" out of an outfit, I simply don't invest my time, wagering dollars, or hopes and dreams on them anymore.

Forum software lets you put people on ignore when they are no longer worthy of your time and energy. It's sort of the same in real life. When I'm *done* with something or someone, I no longer have an interest or an expectation about them or what they do.

Luckily, there are still horses and connections to root for who are not liars, cheaters, or BSers, which makes my horse racing endeavors ENJOYABLE. If that dwindles markedly, I will just find something else to do.

I'm not a youngster. But this is not about being jaded or cynical. It's about having gained a shred of wisdom that if I held on to every disappointment, I'd be up to my ankles in regret and anger. I really try to keep working on that so I can enjoy life. (I admit I am not always successful. so it's a work in progress.)

Last edited by clicknow; 07-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #38
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
I'd say Baffert is being up front about all of this.
He usually is.
Not really, but I won't go there too deeply. (I remember going thru the "he has scratches" thing, but there was no doubt in my mind that the horse had previous, ongoing chronic foot problems that Baffert wasn't telling about. )

Just because Baffert blabs a lot, doesn't mean he's "upfront".

Quote:
when they thumb their nose at that obligation they should be criticized.
I agree with you on that part, they should.

Ethical and coourtesy/respect obligations in todays' world don't quite hold up when $$$ is on the line. That's just how it is.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #39
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If I owned him, I would have wrapped him in bubble wrap in the winner's circle at Belmont and he would be hidden from view today - never to run again.
With that much money at stake, screw being a good sport for racing.
It is business, not a sport.
Yes, it's a business, and a very lucrative one at that, but its profitability, as well as it's very existence, depends on the public's view of it as a sport.
Remember the story of what happened to the farmer who killed the goose who laid the golden eggs?
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #40
Hoops McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
This is why I don't bother following WinStar horses anymore. They're all retired as soon as possible. It's not even about what's best for the horse, it's all about generating millions and churning out more foals that can't race.
your avatar is awesome
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #41
classhandicapper

The one thing that could change the sport would be if very lightly raced horses started being held is lower regard than top horses that sustained and fully demonstrated their greatest over more races when it came to the breeding shed.

What makes a horse great?

What makes a horse a great stallion?

Is it a very high 4 race peak in the middle of a 7 for 11 record and then tailng off?

Is it a Triple Crown against immature 3 yos and a 6 for 6 record?

Is it a more sustained high level of performance in Grade 1 races over multiple seasons against multiple crops even if it doesn't come with the same ultra sharp peak as the 1st horse or without the unblemished accomplishment of the 2nd?

In terms of greatness this is a somewhat subjective subject.

In terms of who makes the best stallions, someone should be able to compile some data on the longevity of the high level of performance as a factor.

I don't know the answer. However, intuitively I'd way rather breed to a horse that was a top 2yo, top 3yo, and top 4yo than one that got amazingly sharp for a few races and had a higher peak but with no greatness surrounding it.

If people would start valuing longevity, then perhaps the prices would change and a result so would the incentive to retire so quickly.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #42
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The one thing that could change the sport would be if very lightly raced horses started being held is lower regard than top horses that sustained and fully demonstrated their greatest over more races when it came to the breeding shed.

What makes a horse great?

What makes a horse a great stallion?

Is it a very high 4 race peak in the middle of a 7 for 11 record and then tailng off?

Is it a Triple Crown against immature 3 yos and a 6 for 6 record?

Is it a more sustained high level of performance in Grade 1 races over multiple seasons against multiple crops even if it doesn't come with the same ultra sharp peak as the 1st horse or without the unblemished accomplishment of the 2nd?

In terms of greatness this is a somewhat subjective subject.

In terms of who makes the best stallions, someone should be able to compile some data on the longevity of the high level of performance as a factor.

I don't know the answer. However, intuitively I'd way rather breed to a horse that was a top 2yo, top 3yo, and top 4yo than one that got amazingly sharp for a few races and had a higher peak but with no greatness surrounding it.

If people would start valuing longevity, then perhaps the prices would change and a result so would the incentive to retire so quickly.
This is a subject where my lack of expertise is extreme, so I don't want to say anything really definitive.

But I do at least wonder if the breeding industry's preferences with respect to stallions (exalting lots of horses who had short racing careers) result in a decline in soundness over time.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #43
deathandgravity

What exactly is Ankle Filling?
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: