Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One
I'd finally got those guys out of my mind, Edge..

But since you mentioned them...O'Donnell..
I still can see those two interceptions to defensive back, Larry Brown with not a Steeler receiver in sight at the Super Bowl in Arizona....it still hurts and to think he replaced Bubby Brister....
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One
Ebb and flow of the league. RTD, we survived the Brister, Stoudt, and Mark Malone years, we'll get back where we belong again...I hope?

We better as I'm an hour south of Cincinnasti and I hate those MF'ers...but, I'm afraid they'll take both from us this year...
Cincy looks strong this year and Cleveland, though young, is coming on. I hate to say it but Pittsburgh might end up last in the division.

Mentioning the Bungles, I still recall that hit on the sideline by free safety Glenn Edwards put on Ken Anderson that one year... clothes lined him into the next week... or the Turkey Jones pile driving of Bradshaw into the turf at Cleveland.... there were some really hard hits in this division over the years... the league took out the bump and run due to Mel Blount's handling of receivers... today the game is just not the same...
Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
ldiatone

well i think one problem. the evaluation of draft picks and free agents is terrible. other then the running back Bell, there selections have not paned out. the nose tackle and Free saftey the team signed this year are not very good(Mitchell fs whats the other kids name ) LB jones is lost. the O line again is not very good. 5 sacs last 2 game plus a -4 turnovers.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTrackDaddy
One of the main reasons is that this generation of the Rooney family thinks wide receivers are expendable.
I agree with you.
They are somewhat expendable, but you have to have a smart offense. Philadelphia is a good example with DeSean Jackson - Good WR, but their system is smart enough without him.

But you either need a smart system, or mismatch guys (#1WR, "Basketball TE",...), and the Stillers have neither.

Yea they've had some bad luck on the line, but they look like a blue-collar small-market team out there, and in reality they pay just as much salary cap as the others.

Heath Miller, Jason Worilds, TImmons... Good solid guys, but they get paid big bucks, and aren't dominating match-ups or games often enough.

I really like Ryan Shazier(sp?). He's undersized(probably get bigger if stays healthy), but at least he's a live linebacker that's got good speed to the ball.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #20
ldiatone

Quote:
Cincy looks strong this year and Cleveland, though young, is coming on. I hate to say it but Pittsburgh might end up last in the division.

Mentioning the Bungles, I still recall that hit on the sideline by free safety Glenn Edwards put on Ken Anderson that one year... clothes lined him into the next week... or the Turkey Jones pile driving of Bradshaw into the turf at Cleveland.... there were some really hard hits in this division over the years... the league took out the bump and run due to Mel Blount's handling of receivers... today the game is just not the same...
the "bungles"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjYFleXNro

Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #21
cj's dad

Steeler bashing- I love it.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
TheEdge07
Veteran

Steelers beat Carolina beat Tampa Bay

10-6

Dalton...you could have him..
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
I do blame the Rooney family for not providing a team that can win. I gave up as a fan and now am just a bettor when the Steelers play.

A team can cover a spread without winning and a team can win without covering a spread. When money is wagered, team loyalty sits on the sidelines.

Some of the best betting prospects over the years was on Monday night football with the Steelers at home. I lost count of the times they crushed on those days and double down what I was up with the book that week or got out when being down by sending it on that game. You cannot do that with this coach or team. We are left looking back at the glory days of the Steelers and as long as Haley guides the offense, Tomlin is the head coach and the front office refuses to address the team's needs, this is not Steeler football anymore.

In summation, the lack of ownership caring to create a team that can win, I resigned myself to being a sports bettor until such day that the Rooney family attempts to put a winning team on the field. As long as they fail to cover the spread (as a favorite or a dog) there is money on the table to be had, why not take advantage of this team's lack of talent and direction??
You posted earlier about those lousy players you had to root for years ago (Nix, Groat, Jefferson) but NOW you won't watch until the Rooneys care about winning? Only NOW you're giving up as a fan?

Please...you are a gambler first and a football fan second, and it's always been that way.
Nothing wrong with it - just don't dress yourself up as some big Stillers fan, cool?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #24
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
Steeler bashing- I love it.
Stay out of this!

Go nurse your Joe Flacco threads
Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #25
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
You posted earlier about those lousy players you had to root for years ago (Nix, Groat, Jefferson) but NOW you won't watch until the Rooneys care about winning? Only NOW you're giving up as a fan?

Please...you are a gambler first and a football fan second, and it's always been that way.
Nothing wrong with it - just don't dress yourself up as some big Stillers fan, cool?
A person can be both a fan and a gambler. I have watch them before they got good, their dynasty years and now. My only beef with the Rooney's now is that they are more businessmen than fans themselves. There was no bigger supporter of this team than the Chief. But then again, the Chief himself was a gambler too.

The Rooney's are into gambling big time owning Yonkers and Palm Beach Kennel Club with all the associated slot game revenue. So to say that I am a gambler first and a fan second, so be it as I will wear the Red Badge of Courage proudly.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Stay out of this!

Go nurse your Joe Flacco threads
I couldn't help myself.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #27
TheEdge07
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07

10-6

Dalton...you could have him..

Just sayin...

TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #28
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
Just sayin...

The line moved from the open Car - 3 to - 3 1/2 when I jumped in betting Car...then it moved to - 4 got me feeling good... then Friday dropped to - 3 1/2 and then Sunday back to the opening of - 3.

It got me scared that there was going to be a blow out. My next move was to see next week's opening lines where the Steelers are - 8 at home to Tampa.

I sent a saver bet on the over. Thought I was toast until the second half scoring purge. I didn't care who scored to make it over 42 1/2 pts.

I was posting on twitter during the game with its ups and downs but when I was checking the movement of the line for the Bears/Jets game I saw about three books take a large hit on the Bears moving that line down to Bears + 2. The over/under line also took a hit moving from 45 to 44. I follow the money in games on national tv (like last night).

Attached are my comments on my twitter feed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (47.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble die!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
ldiatone

"egg on my face" as i thought Steelers had no chance vrs CAR. i was wrong. next 4 games could be 5-2 and the AFC is "kinda" weak all over so steelers do have a chance.....ok i have changed my "tune".

ps untill the team goes 0-3