Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Crush

Anyone recommend a track to bet 'show'?

Hi,

My local track is Woodbine but was wondering about betting at other tracks. I'm factoring into my handicapping the art of 'staying out of a race' so find myself only wanting to bet on 3-4 races which isn't very fun.

I primarily bet 'show' on a second rate horse with a good value. So 12 horses can be running or 6, but my show payout can be very similar so I prefer races that have less horses.

Can someone recommend some good non cheating tracks that are 'show' bet friendly so I can bet online?

Thanks!
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Greyfox

Show betting not for me.

For me, show betting is a waste of time, money, and energy at any track.
I also prefer to only bet races with 8 or more horses, not less.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
kenwoodall2

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
Hi,

My local track is Woodbine but was wondering about betting at other tracks. I'm factoring into my handicapping the art of 'staying out of a race' so find myself only wanting to bet on 3-4 races which isn't very fun.

I primarily bet 'show' on a second rate horse with a good value. So 12 horses can be running or 6, but my show payout can be very similar so I prefer races that have less horses.

Can someone recommend some good non cheating tracks that are 'show' bet friendly so I can bet online?

Thanks!
GGF, MD tracks.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
skate
s.e. pa.

Dog tracks, very good, but you play on tracks that do not have much wiggly room, in that you'll likely move the lines yourself.

But the dogs do pay a high show price frequently.
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
lamboguy

years ago i used to bet dogs at wonderland park to show for the $2.20. i bet $10k every time and bet it on the same 2 dogs at the time, Shure Lilly, and Stano. between the 2 of them i had won 26 straight times. i went to bet the next time and the track refused to take my wager and had a security guard follow me around. that night the dog that i was going to bet pulled up and didn't make the board. and that is how i ended by show betting career at wondy. by the way in those days that dog track did almost $1 million handles on friday nights. but the place was the saratoga of dog racing.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate
Dog tracks, very good, but you play on tracks that do not have much wiggly room, in that you'll likely move the lines yourself.

But the dogs do pay a high show price frequently.
True...also noticed the place prices are fairly decent also , but like you say, too big a bet and you alter things. rbj
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
SMOO

Mountaineer & Suffolk pay 2.20 instead of 2.10 minimum.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOO
Mountaineer & Suffolk pay 2.20 instead of 2.10 minimum.

to the $.20 min. add:
charlestown
prairie meadows
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
craigbraddick

Arapahoe Park also pays a $2.20 minimum
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
HUSKER55

Smile

I would help you if I could but I have never made show pan out. My picks wither win or get photoed out. If you have a good pair of binoculars the rest of my choices are still running around out there somewhere.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
For me, show betting is a waste of time, money, and energy at any track.
I also prefer to only bet races with 8 or more horses, not less.
I'm almost trying to do the opposite.

I'm betting show in races with a low number of horses. I bet on the high payout horse (not the favorite) and try to get 3.20 at least on a show. So far I'm mildly up but starting tomorrow will record my winnings so I can have a concrete number on ROI. I tried a exacta twice and 'almost won' both times but those exactas ate into my ROI. I often change my bet at the last minute if too many people are betting down the horse I originally wanted to bet on. It's too risky to bet show on a horse that doesn't pay out.

Tomorrow I'll be betting on 7 races actually.

My Woodbine Thu. Aug. 12th SHOW bets SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT TRACK is:

Race 1 -
Race 2 -
Race 3 - (sitting out)
Race 4 -
Race 5 -
Race 6 -
Race 7 -
Race 8 -

Last edited by Crush; 08-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I've noticed Ellis Park show bets tend to pay well.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
RaceBookJoe

It just might have been one of those days, but the early card at Derby Lane had 15 races, for a total of 45 show payoffs with only 8 of them under $3.00. I got a place payoff of $22.40 in one race and $8.40 in another. Just cant bet too much into the pools. rbj
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Turkoman

I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
years ago i used to bet dogs at wonderland park to show for the $2.20. i bet $10k every time and bet it on the same 2 dogs at the time, Shure Lilly, and Stano. between the 2 of them i had won 26 straight times. i went to bet the next time and the track refused to take my wager and had a security guard follow me around. that night the dog that i was going to bet pulled up and didn't make the board. and that is how i ended by show betting career at wondy. by the way in those days that dog track did almost $1 million handles on friday nights. but the place was the saratoga of dog racing.
Didn't Wonderland close recently? I think that's what I heard, not too long ago.

Turkoman
Turkoman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Turkoman

Derby Lane is my favorite dog track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBookJoe
It just might have been one of those days, but the early card at Derby Lane had 15 races, for a total of 45 show payoffs with only 8 of them under $3.00. I got a place payoff of $22.40 in one race and $8.40 in another. Just cant bet too much into the pools. rbj
Not too many years ago, the pools were much bigger. But Derby Lane is still a pretty decent track, in my opinion.

Turkoman
Turkoman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: