Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Bruiser1

Mountaineer Big Show Bettor Down In Flames Again

Latest example was last nights 8th with a horse named Bobs Tiebreaker off at 2/5, finishing fourth, creating some big show pays.

Since this seems to happen about twice a week, I just wonder why (or how) someone would risk a large show bet for a 10% return (Mountaineer pays minimum $2.20)?
Bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
thaskalos

Any "bridgejumper" that decides to ply his trade in Mountaineer, has to be feeling more suicidal than usual...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Bettowin

Bridgejumping at Mountaineer on 5K claimers = Splat!!
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
DeanT

Not defending it because I think you'll go broke.... but at $2.20 with some folks paying a rebate on the action (rumoured at some places) it is not that bad a show bet strategy.

And over the last two years 0.30 and under horses are 10 for 10, for a decent ROI if you are pounding.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
xfile
Veteran

Being an overlay hunter who bets to win I don't understand these types of creatures.
xfile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Igeteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1
Latest example was last nights 8th with a horse named Bobs Tiebreaker off at 2/5, finishing fourth, creating some big show pays.

Since this seems to happen about twice a week, I just wonder why (or how) someone would risk a large show bet for a 10% return (Mountaineer pays minimum $2.20)?
Mountaineer is a nice track to go to and have fun, nothing else, the betting situation is for the insiders , of the insiders, by the insiders, if one expects to hit a big one there, forget it.

Try Harness Racing, it's more profitable then Mountaineer.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
ronsmac

Most of the rebate shops don't give a rebate on a minus show pool.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Most of the rebate shops don't give a rebate on a minus show pool.
some do, depending on what type of player you are. rember that adw's keep the breakage.

that being said, i am a bridgejumper, and i have never seen so many bad horses bet day after day, night after night with all the money on them. i suspect it must be the same people that are making these big minus pools and hedging their bets, because if you look at those races with the big money on them the rest of the horses in the races all have higher than expected amounts on them too.
of course we know that the only possible way mathematically to beat the world of parimutual betting is to be a bridgejumper because of the guaranteed payoff. yet still you have high risk to the reward. unless you are a pro like i am at bridgjumping i highly recomend that you stay away from them in either direction. net pool pricing has hurt the prices on bet against the bridgejumper. i guess that arapahoe must not be net pool because they had big and fair show payoffs after the horse blew up last week. i missed that opportunity last week, i would have cashed the big tickets had i seen it ahead of time.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #9
Market Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
Mountaineer is a nice track to go to and have fun, nothing else, the betting situation is for the insiders , of the insiders, by the insiders, if one expects to hit a big one there, forget it.

Try Harness Racing, it's more profitable then Mountaineer.

I second this notion. Harness racing may indeed outprofit the Mount..
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
gm10

I watched Mountaineer yesterday evening having not followed it the last months. I honestly don't understand why any non-local would seriously play at that track. Half of the races seem fixed.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
InTheRiver68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
some do, depending on what type of player you are. rember that adw's keep the breakage.
That cuts both ways.

Quote:
net pool pricing has hurt the prices on bet against the bridgejumper. i guess that arapahoe must not be net pool because they had big and fair show payoffs after the horse blew up last week. i missed that opportunity last week, i would have cashed the big tickets had i seen it ahead of time.
Net pool pricing HELPS the bet-againster. If the odds-on favorite is out of the money, the (big) prices are virtually the same. If the odds-on favorite is IN the money, the prices on the other two horses are much better than they would be under the old scheme.

- InTheRiver68
InTheRiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Bruiser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
I watched Mountaineer yesterday evening having not followed it the last months. I honestly don't understand why any non-local would seriously play at that track. Half of the races seem fixed.
Disagree. For the type of horse which runs there, the purses are actually pretty good.

I am a non-local and actually do fairly well there. It's a matter of discipline (as always. don't bet every race) and learning the players. Their simulcast show (race commentary) is pretty good as well.
Bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
I would love an explanation of "seem fixed"

Mnr has its share of trainer tomfoolery, and I have been privy to short notice on some of it a few years back, so I know they do some goofy stuff. But I would love to hear your explanation of how you determined a race fixed ?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRiver68
That cuts both ways.

Net pool pricing HELPS the bet-againster. If the odds-on favorite is out of the money, the (big) prices are virtually the same. If the odds-on favorite is IN the money, the prices on the other two horses are much better than they would be under the old scheme.

- InTheRiver68
they aren't the same, they are less, i don't have the exact percentage. but ARAPAHOE is not net-pool and they returned full value to the payoffs of the horses that did not have the big money on it.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
InTheRiver68

Quote:
they aren't the same, they are less, i don't have the exact percentage. but ARAPAHOE is not net-pool and they returned full value to the payoffs of the horses that did not have the big money on it.
I beg to differ, but I may be wrong.

The biggest impact net-pool pricing has is that the non-favorites will pay more than $2.10 when the favorite (with heavy show wagers) finishes in the money. When the favorite runs out, the difference between standard prices and net pool prices is very slim, and in fact net pool prices may be higher. I'll illustrate it if I get the chance today.

- InTheRiver68
InTheRiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: