Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Has any member cashed on a fix race?
Poll Options
Has any member cashed on a fix race?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
TheEdge07
Veteran

Have you been told the fix was in? And cashed!

Has any member made a huge score because he/she was told the fix was in?

i have back in 1982..
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

So many different avenues this thread can take

Owning a horse and "not going" with the horse and going with another is being in on the fix

In short term somebody took it out in wheelbarrel in the ram game today

Just think of the refs and totals in NCAA sports.......a license to print money
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
TheEdge07
Veteran

If you have share the story...
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
If you have share the story...
Shouldn't you share YOUR story first?

That's how the threads work...no?

The original poster sets the table...and THEN we come in.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Shouldn't you share YOUR story first?

That's how the threads work...no?

The original poster sets the table...and THEN we come in.

Very valid point
Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
ronsmac

About a year before C-Town closed , pre-slots era. I'm at Pimlico looking at that evenings Charles Town races and out of the blue a groom from a Maryland barn asks me if I'm going there that evening. I tell him that I am. He says his barn has a maiden that's been layed off almost 2 yrs that can't lose . The horse was too old to run in a maiden race in Maryland, not sure if that rule still exists today. His prior form would crush at C-Town but that layoff looked bad to me, he assured me , that there would be no worries. I bet with confidence and the horse aired, the price was only 3-1 but he won like a 1/2 shot.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
Has any member made a huge score because he/she was told the fix was in?

i have back in 1982..
Yes, 1998 Belmont. I had in from sources that Real Quiet would lose. Cashed a lot by betting on Victory Gallop.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

ummmmmmmmmmm, errrrrrrrrrrr......maybe.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

There have been three times I have known about "fixes" (on going, not a one time shot), but all of them I've figured out on my own. Two of them I consider legitimate and legal, the other - not so much. Of course I cashed. Repeatedly.

1) One very hot summer, I noticed an active trainer, typically ran at least three horses per day, would give some of his horses a sponge bath with ice water after saddling them. Those that got the sponge bath ran about 75% in-the-money. Those that didn't ran about 5% in-the-money. I later found a trainer that was getting the same results with what appeared to be rubbing alcohol.

2) When the Racing Form started putting blinkers info in the PPs, I noticed that apparently any indication of blinkers on or off was based on my local track's own data, and a horse shipping in could add blinkers without it being announced as a change of equipment. I noticed a few out-of-town trainers that took advantage of this by darkening form at their local track by running without blinkers, then shipping in and running with the unannounced blinker change.

3) I found a trainer with a good win percentage despite almost never winning with a favorite. I knew this trainer often bet, I'd seen him at the windows many times. I noticed that when he had a horse I thought was live the jockey would glance at the tote board at the last available moment, in a route race he can see the tote as they are loading, but in a sprint he can't see the tote after the post parade. I determined that 3/1 was the minimum acceptable odds to go for the win. Most of his winners lower than 3/1 came in sprint races when the odds dropped after the post parade.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
thaskalos

I initially thought of not telling this story, because it doesn't necessarily involve what we would normally call a "fix" -- and I didn't benefit from it...at least not monetarily. I will tell it anyway though, because it taught me a valuable lesson...and I hope that it will teach you a valuable lesson as well.

I had a friend for many years who was the owner of a restaurant close to Arlington Park during the 80s and the 90s. My friend was an avid gambler and a very likable guy...and he became well-acquainted with more than a few of the Arlington jockeys of that era...some of whom would also patronize his place of business.

I happened to be at his restaurant one summer night, when one of Arlington's best known jockeys walked into the place, and motioned to my friend to join him at one of the remote tables. After about 10 minutes, the jockey left...and my friend joined me at my table, visibly excited. When I asked him what had happened...he told me that the jockey had given him $2,000 -- along with instructions to bet the money to win on a particular horse that this jockey was engaged to ride the next day. "The horse can't lose"...my friend said the jockey had told him.

I didn't sleep very peacefully that particular night...because this was the type of "inside information" that you seldom encounter. Does a tip get any more believable than to have the jockey of the horse give you that kind of money to bet on it?

My friend and I went to the track together the next day...and we wagered moderately on this horse ourselves. It went off at 3/1, as I recall, and it finished 7th in a field of 9...with no visible excuse whatsoever.

I have ignored all types of inside information ever since.

PS...

The reason I didn't name the jockey is because he had a long and distinguished riding career -- not only at Arlington but at other major tracks as well -- and he also served as a racing official at various racetracks after his retirement.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-11-2013 at 04:31 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
lamboguy

i once had a friend that used to move money in college basketball. one day he tells me they have the starting point guard for Providence College.

the line was originally Providence by 22. i got down $1000 +17. i went to the Providence Civic Center to watch the game.

the player that was in the tank starts the game off by double dribbling, then he lets the other side in for an easy layup. he puts up brick after brick, and fouls the opposing side with about 7 minutes to go in the half Providence is in the one and one. he goes to the line twice and misses the front end of the one and one both times. at that point Providence is losing the game by 20 points outright. Dave Gavitt is the coach for Providence, he walks down to the end of the bench and moves his players over. he points his finger at the point guard and takes him out of the game, sits him down at the end of the bench.

that player never plays another second for the rest of the game. Providence comes out for the second half and goes on a 20-4 run. Providence winds up smoking the other team by over 30 points. my $1100 is now gone but never to be forgotten.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
shouldacoulda

Quote:
The only way Charity can lose is if it's hit by lightning.
Come on now. They don't really fix races, do they?
They don't rig the stock market either.
I'm also expecting Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny for dinner tonight.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
TheEdge07
Veteran

Back in 1982 this hof jockey very well known in ny was dating my mothers best friend..My dad mom and her best friend with (i will call him curly) all went to dinner in the city .During dinner Curly had told my parents and his girlfriend drive out to the track tomorrow for the last race im riding 3 horse but hes has no chance.He explain to watch the post parade and watch him carefully.He went further to explain to watch his whip...depending how many times he tapped his horse with the stick that was then winner..We drove to Belmont for the last race and watched Curly in post parade.His girlfriend yelled out Curly whos the winner that was the indication we were there..Curly stood up in his irons bounced up a few times and gently tapped his horse six times.....

The rest was history...#6 wins pays $43.60...

My parents and his girlfriend along with Curly all went to dinner after the races.Ill never forget the qoute Curly had told my dad that night..

"happens more then we think"
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
sammy the sage

yes...maiden claimer's in S.Cal circuit...3 different trainers....different times...Horse ML 10/1 or worse...no way you can pick off the form or known info...go off at 3/1 or less...win like a 3/5 shot...

no longer have that connection...R.I.P....and no not naming ANY names or races...

but stuff happens...just take when Dale E. Jr. won the firecracker 400 after SR. died at the 500 that year...

Never been a restrictor plate race like that before or since...get 2 laps down...yet can go 3 wide BY yourself and pass w/impunity...Banker buddy of mine cashed on that BIG....
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
illinoisbred

Amusing tale Thaskalos..you've really got me guessing on the jockey. I too have a story that I really didn't want to share but there is a moral to this story. Years ago, one day at Arlington with a friend who happened to be a very good friend to a local trainer. I'm not going to name names but the trainer was rather ordinary back then and now one of the better winning trainers on our circuit. My friend says... I figured you'd like to meet trainer X so I invited him to come up to our seats before the races. Trainer X appears...pleasantries exchanged when my friend asks...what about your So and So in the 3rd..does he have a shot? So and So was a dreadful maiden that had never run a lick in any of his races. Trainer x responds...So and So isn't much but I've just learned(unbeknowst to the betting public) that the jockey is going to announce his retirement at the race's completion. The guys usually don't let us trainers in on things and can't say if they've got anything "planned". The race comes up..the gate opens..the leading rider at the meet and on the speed and favorite in the race from the #1 hole,falls off right out of the gate. So and So isn't doing much running as usual but turning for home, the Red Sea parts..a few running down tight near the rail..the rest out toward the crown..except for So and So. A charging he comes... to miss by a 1/2 length,finishing 2nd. The moral I guess,despite the best choreographed plans(if there indeed was a "plan"), things can still go awry.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply