Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #46
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdWilly
A hole-in-one on a par 5!

That would have to be the equivelent of single-ing a pick six with at least one 10-1 shot.
I don't know what courses you have in mind, but, if a par 5 hole is drive-able, then, it's not really a par 5. A hole in one on a par 4 is more feasible. I'm sure someone has accomplished that at some point, but, I've never heard of anyone holing a "true" par 5.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #47
nobeyerspls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdinneen
Is there a racing equivalent to Golf's hole-in-one and, more importantly, have you ever achieved it?

Best wishes,

John
You handicap a race, put $20 or less into the ticket, and cash for over $10,000. I've done it three times over the past nine years. Might take another nine before I do it again.
nobeyerspls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #48
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I don't know what courses you have in mind, but, if a par 5 hole is drive-able, then, it's not really a par 5. A hole in one on a par 4 is more feasible. I'm sure someone has accomplished that at some point, but, I've never heard of anyone holing a "true" par 5.
Had a workmate tell a story of his last golf shot. Never represented himself as more than an ordinary golfer that I recall. But on a Par 5, sharp dogleg to the right - more like a right turn, and not extremely far out before turn. Hits a horrible but hard shot near the toe of his club, ball goes screaming ahead and far, far to the right. Screaming ball heading toward swiming pool near the clubhouse, and while on a sharp line hits corner of cement around pool, goes screaming back toward the course and toward the green. When they got to the green, his ball was about 6 inches from the cup.

His friends were all extremely excited, and he was extremely stunned. I don't know if this would have been legal way to get a double eagle - ball hitting something out of bounds and back onto the course. A thoughtful and curious fellow, he says he refused to tap the ball into the hole despite his buddies pleadings, and one of them completed the double eagle. And I found it surprising (but he was a surprsing kinda guy) that he took no more shots after that, and gave up golf at that moment. When I pushed him, he said he knew he would never, ever, in his life make a more amazing shot like that in his life, this being a dumb luck shot & all. Since he could never do anything better in golf rest of his life, he completely lost his desire to play golf! Interesting guy, and one I never considered a wierdo, more of a thoughtful, almost rennasiance kind of a guy. (Computer consultant, spent a long vacation and a fortune on an African Safari so he could photograph the jungle & the wildlife before it was gone - back in early-mid 90's).

Anyway, that's the closest I've ever heard of anyone getting a hole-in-one on a par-5. I had to take the guys word for it, was a pretty honest co-worker to me. But I wasn't there when it happened, only heard it from him.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 05-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #49
surfdog89

I played a dollars late Pick four and hit it.. this month at Hollywood.... that was my hole in one.....

http://handicapperscorner.blogspot.com/
surfdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #50
shouldacoulda

Never had a hole in 1 but lipped the hole twice. Had 8 out of 9 in Hawthorne place 9 5w 2-2nd 1-3rd. Got zero payout. had 5 out of 6 pick six at Belmont last year. If I went for 16$ instead of $8, I would have gotten 13K instead of $135.00. Horse got pulled up in 1 race and 2nd choice came in.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #51
jcwilb

500 x bet = hole in one
jcwilb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #52
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdinneen
Is there a racing equivalent to Golf's hole-in-one and, more importantly, have you ever achieved it?

Best wishes,

John
no..But i think I hit for the cycle one afternoon at Belmont.
I bet an exacta box with three horses and then for giggles went back and bet the same three in a trifecta box and hit them both. It was one of my biggest scores on a single race ever. Made close to $900....back then nine hundred was like a mint....To me anyway.
Lets see....a hole in one?.....would that be like hitting a superfecta cold?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #53
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Watch the movie Let It Ride.

That's racing's Hole-In-One.
Oh yeah!!!
However. Since in golf a hole in one is one shot. I would think a hole in one in horse racing would be one bet.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #54
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
What golf shot (or score) is even more rare than a hole-in-one?
Double Eagle...Holing out in two strokes on a par 5...
A hole in one occurs arouind here at least 5 times a week. There are several public and private courses here.
A hole in one is as much about luck as it is skill.
I have two. One down in Hilton Head Island. 17th hole Hills course at palmetto hall plantation. 165 yds...6 iron. two hops and the ball disappeared.
The other was in NY...Kingswood GC....13th hole, 154 yds..8 iron....That one kind of doesn't count because I was playing alone. But because of the configuration of the surropunding tee boxes, there were people waiting for me to hit my tee shot before they walked to their shots on a nearby green. They saw my shot go in.... I still have both balls to this day.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #55
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
Bob Ike went 9-for-9 yesterday at Hollywood. Pretty impressive even if most of them were short prices.

About 25 years ago at CD, I once hit six exactas in a row, all by boxing two horses in each race. The biggest one paid over $200...I'm still waiting for that kind of luck to happen again.
Former NY Daily News handicapper Russ Harris once went 9 for 9 at Saratoga. That is a very rare feat in that public handicappers for newspapers often make their selections two days in advance.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #56
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I'm pretty convinced any equivilent might be a 4 or more legged ticket that is singled and hit, either a Superfecta (maybe non-straight betting order) or Pick 4 and not all favorites in each leg.

Once my friend's mom tried to bet $2 to show on 3 different horses as was her liking, but the clerk gave her a $1 Twin-Trifecta Box. All there were in the money, so she ended up with one exchange ticket. Her single ticket (straight, only one exchange bet) won, and she got about $3,000. Unfortunately for her, the large Twin Trifecta carryover was won the day before. Anyway, that might qualify, if it wasn't for the box in the first leg, but then again, it was accidental, she wanted show bets.

Or maybe the racing 'Hole In One' is whatever we make of it, for ourselves.

I had a strange dream the night after I first won $1,000 at the track in one day. I had hit a $30 bet on a 9/1 shot, and then followed with a $25 bet on a 30/1 shot (a new young trainer in 1992 named Steve Asmussen). That night, I didn't have a golf dream, and I don't like fish or fishing, but I dreamed I went digging in my freeze and pulled out first fish I'd ever caught that I supposedly had saved (in the dream) from my childhood.

Don't know if that one was a hole in one, but I sure caught a Big One and was extremely excited, like catching one's first fish as a kid.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 06-05-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply