Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #46
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And that's your opinion! And the reason we "argue continually about them" is expressed in this truth:

Rom 1:18, 21-23
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness,...21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
NIV

In short, mankind does not want to know the truth about itself. Thus, we are left with numerous opinions, all of which conflict with each other in some way.
Of course that's my opinion...I have nothing else to offer. But I don't stick to it no matter what...because I readily acknowledge that any opinion that I have might be wrong. As Bertrand Russell said..."The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts".
Old 06-15-2023, 05:45 PM   #47
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Says who?
We know there are viruses and that they can bbe deadly.

Where do you get this nonsense?
We know these two things how? Again, you’ll have to scroll up, but let’s start with you answering my question about the lab procedure that purports to demonstrate the existence of a birus and its pathogenic effect. After you do that, we’ll proceed woth our mutual cross examination.
kyle r is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 06:25 PM   #48
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle r View Post
I’m not confusing or conflating theory and hypothesis, but I’m not gonna say anymore on that, other than to point out your admission regarding the changing, incomplete nature of The Theory of Gravity.
I made no such admission.

Quote:
As to SOL, I see that’s an important point for you. You’ve given me the working definition. I’m talking about measurement. If it’s true, that it is measured at different speeds at different times, would you have to reco sider your assertion?
I made no such assertion.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #49
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As a single parent, while raising my son alone, I often felt the need to give him some guidance in his life…some “useful” advice which might lead him to a better life than he would otherwise have. After much contemplation…I discovered, to my considerable surprise, that there was nothing meaningful that I could tell him which wasn’t just an opinion that I had borrowed, in one way or another, from someone else. There was virtually nothing concrete that I could find in my own life’s “philosophy” whose credibility I could honestly say that I had verified on my own.

So…I decided that the best thing to do was to support him, protect him, and make sure that he gets a good formal education which would help him in getting a decent job. I didn’t feel that those unverified “opinions” that I have borrowed from other people deserved to live on any longer than I am supposed to live…I felt that those opinions should die with me. Because passing my beliefs on to him might find him following in my footsteps…and I wish him a lot more than that.

That's a good philosophy. I know a lot of people old enough to have children that are young adults that seem to deny their youth. You might give a few
suggestions here and there but it is best to just let them find out for themselves.

Where the hell would you tell a young person to go to get a good formal education these days? It looks like most institutions well respected back in the day are graduating educated idiots.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 07:13 PM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
We know these two things how? Again, you’ll have to scroll up, but let’s start with you answering my question about the lab procedure that purports to demonstrate the existence of a birus and its pathogenic effect. After you do that, we’ll proceed woth our mutual cross examination.
You go play Perry Mason by yourself.
I hae no time for your nonsense.

You made the stupid comment about viruses, prove it.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:18 PM   #51
boxcar

Quote:
Of course that's my opinion...I have nothing else to offer. But I don't stick to it no matter what...because I readily acknowledge that any opinion that I have might be wrong. As Bertrand Russell said..."The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts".
Yes, Bertrand the atheist would be full of wisdom, wouldn't he? One is led to wonder if Bert was "always so certain" of what "the whole problem with the world" consisted?
Old 06-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #52
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You go play Perry Mason by yourself.
I hae no time for your nonsense.

You made the stupid comment about viruses, prove it.
Don’t get mad at me because everything you believe has been downloaded directly from The Telescreen. You assert the existence of viruses. Be a man and defend your assertion.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:00 PM   #53
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
NIAID Now | February 13, 2020
New Images of Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Now Available:
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-event...arscov2-images

Quote:
NIAID’s Rocky Mountain Laboratories (RML) in Hamilton, Montana, produced images of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2, previously known as 2019-nCoV) on its scanning and transmission electron microscopes on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. SARS-CoV-2 causes COVID-19 disease, which has grown to be a global public health emergency since cases were first detected in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. RML investigator Emmie de Wit, Ph.D., provided the virus samples as part of her studies, microscopist Elizabeth Fischer produced the images, and the RML visual medical arts office digitally colorized the images.

Note that the images do not look much different from MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, which emerged in 2012) or the original SARS-CoV (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, which emerged in 2002). That is not surprising: The spikes on the surface of coronaviruses give this virus family its name – corona, which is Latin for “crown,” and most any coronavirus will have a crown-like appearance.

These images are available to the public for free high-resolution download on the NIAID Flickr page. NIAID asks all who use the images to please credit NIAID-RML unless otherwise noted in the Flickr image description.

This scanning electron microscope image shows SARS-CoV-2 (yellow)—also known as 2019-nCoV, the virus that causes COVID-19—isolated from a patient in the U.S., emerging from the surface of cells (blue/pink) cultured in the lab.
Credit: NIAID-RML

Google search results for the phrase "images electron microscope flu virus infecting cells" without the quotes:
https://www.google.com/search?client...ih=769&dpr=0.8

Are digital images of viruses taken with an electron microscope sufficient to prove the existence of viruses and their ability to infect human cells?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-15-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #54
proximity

Quote:
As a single parent, while raising my son alone, I often felt the need to give him some guidance in his life…some “useful” advice which might lead him to a better life than he would otherwise have. After much contemplation…I discovered, to my considerable surprise, that there was nothing meaningful that I could tell him which wasn’t just an opinion that I had borrowed, in one way or another, from someone else. There was virtually nothing concrete that I could find in my own life’s “philosophy” whose credibility I could honestly say that I had verified on my own.
i think the late dick mitchell (?) said, "talent borrows, genius steals" so maybe you at least have talent.

how is your son doing with the car? hopefully better?

for all the talent here (people beating a brutal game while simultaneously having impressive knowledge of science, religion, politics,....) this can be a very negative place many days. sometimes so negative that i wonder if the horseplayer can ever overcome whatever demons that led him to the game? but that day everyone rallied around your son and wanted the best for him and if only for the moment, inspired a little hope in our breed.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 08:16 PM   #55
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
NIAID Now | February 13, 2020
New Images of Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Now Available:
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-event...arscov2-images

Are digital images of viruses taken with an electron microscope sufficient to prove the existence of viruses?

-jp
That’s art, not reality. And to share that as some kind of refutation of what I’m saying or proof of the existence of viruses as pathogenic agents, circulating around the world from host to host, means that you’ve swallowed the programming without applying any level of skepticism. Now, it’s my thread and I
I’m gonna keep going back to where this discussion needs to start - what is the lab procedure that they use to claim they have found a virus and that it causes a discreet disease. You’ve jumped all the way to the cartoon at the end. Now, if you don’t want to research some of the basics of virology tell me. And I can either explain to you the essential, central ridiculousness of it, or refer you to those who make the case most powerfully - MDs who beg to be engaged and refuted, but get no takers.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #56
Jeff P

Try this then... actual images not art.

Microscopy images reveal the process of cellular infection by the Sars-CoV-2:
https://portal.fiocruz.br/en/news/mi...ion-sars-cov-2

Quote:

Cell invasion: The images show the moment the viral particles adhered to the cellular surface are embraced by the cell membrane and internalized, that is, brought to the inside of the cell, where they can then replicate. This process is called endocytosis. On the left, in the three-dimensional image obtained with the scanning electron microscope, the arrows point to some viral particles that are beginning to be enveloped by the cellular membrane. On the right, in the image obtained with the transmission electron microscope, it is possible to see the vesicle formed by the folding of the cellular membrane, with viral particles being internalized (indicated by the arrows).

Are digital images of viruses taken with an electron microscope sufficient to prove the existence of viruses and their ability to infect human cells?

-jp
Old 06-15-2023, 08:24 PM   #57
kyle r

Quote:
Try this then... actual images not art.

Microscopy images reveal the process of cellular infection by the Sars-CoV-2:
https://portal.fiocruz.br/en/news/mi...ion-sars-cov-2

-jp
Tell me the process that leads to images like that?
Old 06-15-2023, 08:30 PM   #58
kyle r

Quote:
Tell me the process that leads to images like that?
Or tell me you don’t know and ask me to explain it to you.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:34 PM   #59
Jeff P

One of the procedures is:

You look at actual tissue samples using a microscope.

Or in the case of viruses an electron microscope.

On the other hand, both of my college biology courses were Tues-Thurs 7:00 am to 9:30 am.

It's entirely possible any viruses I saw under an electron microscope that early in the morning were the result of hangover induced hallucination.

Seriously though, viruses are something you can actually see.

-jp
Old 06-15-2023, 08:35 PM   #60
kyle r

Quote:
One of the procedures is:

You look at actual tissue samples using a microscope.

Or in the case of viruses an electron microscope.

On the other hand, both of my college biology courses were Tues-Thurs 7:00 am to 9:30 am.

It's entirely possible any viruses I saw under an electron microscope that early in the morning were the result of hangover induced hallucination.

Seriously though, viruses are something you can actually see.

-jp
Not even close.